Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-05-2013, 03:15 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I'm on the Brad Morgan beginner ABs working right now and so far so good. I'm up to 5 crunches and 1 roll out per session. This weekend I'm aiming for two roll outs and maybe plank for 5 seconds.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
Why's that Brad? I dont practice it myself but it works. I just dont have the drive or determination to count macro's (protein,fat,carbs) and calories. I do try to keep a very rough count of my protein and try to eat enough good fat though.
Mostly it's used as an excuse to eat garbage. It's like Keifer's back loading, where he suggests downing a box of fruity pebbles after your workout (they're gluten free, you know!). But find someone under 8% BF using that, few and far between.
Same with IIFYM. While it's got some merits, it's loaded with excuses, and the old "everything in moderation", which, depending on your goals, will only give moderate results. The issue is every program in existence will work for somebody, but most won't work for a lot of bodies. And telling someone to eat ice cream if it fits their macros is just poor advice. Unless you're ok with not getting below 12 or 14% BF. But most physique trainees are after more, and for most, it will be a long struggle.
If you're more than casually interested in training nutrition, google Phil Learney podcasts, some great info.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:17 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I'm on the Brad Morgan beginner ABs working right now and so far so good. I'm up to 5 crunches and 1 roll out per session. This weekend I'm aiming for two roll outs and maybe plank for 5 seconds.
You need a trainer to stand beside you and hit you with a stick, slacker! haha
Old 10-05-2013, 03:23 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:

sorry for taking your thread off Track Mindy.
I've probably over-shadowed your hijack Sorry Mindy ...
Old 10-05-2013, 03:24 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
For me, I just have my workouts scheduled in my calendar. If I don't feel like it, tough, I go. I count everything I eat, and only eat single ingredient foods. I have to struggle to eat all my food in a day, and I eat well.
I just turned 50 last week and I have abs, so that motivates me right there.
As you know, I used to be close to 300 pounds many years ago, and I couldn't stand it. Now, I'm strong and it's an incredible feeling, but you need to get there to understand it. Once there, you never want to go back.
My wife is 14 years younger and I have a 3yo daughter, so I need to keep in shape just to keep up -lol
But there is certainly a vanity thing to it, I have guys at work 20 years younger that make comments how they wish they were in my kind of shape. That motivates too. I try to explain that wishing isn't the best strategy, but hey
I have a job that keeps me busy, 4 dogs, a 3 yo with disabilities and a ton of house maintenance to do. Oh, and a large reef tank. But training is important to me, so I make time. Sometimes I'm at the gym at midnight, but it gets done. It's not really even a motivation issue, it's just what I do. It's part of my life.
I know Im not that old but I think training can definitely keep you young. Congrats on that crazy weight loss. I know the feeling about being busy but making time. I usually dont hit my basement gym till 8-9pm after the kids are down. Sometimes I dont feel like getting my butt in motion but I never regret it and its a great stress relief.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
I know Im not that old but I think training can definitely keep you young. Congrats on that crazy weight loss. I know the feeling about being busy but making time. I usually dont hit my basement gym till 8-9pm after the kids are down. Sometimes I dont feel like getting my butt in motion but I never regret it and its a great stress relief.
Absolutely, and the younger you start, the easier it is to stay there. I'm lucky in that my wife is really supportive and we manage schedules well. She runs long distances, so her training sessions can be 4 hours, that I would have trouble scheduling!! But it works. I train 6 days/wk this month, plus try to run 3 days. The running doesn't always happen, but gym time is a priority.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Mostly it's used as an excuse to eat garbage. It's like Keifer's back loading, where he suggests downing a box of fruity pebbles after your workout (they're gluten free, you know!). But find someone under 8% BF using that, few and far between.
Same with IIFYM. While it's got some merits, it's loaded with excuses, and the old "everything in moderation", which, depending on your goals, will only give moderate results. The issue is every program in existence will work for somebody, but most won't work for a lot of bodies. And telling someone to eat ice cream if it fits their macros is just poor advice. Unless you're ok with not getting below 12 or 14% BF. But most physique trainees are after more, and for most, it will be a long struggle.
If you're more than casually interested in training nutrition, google Phil Learney podcasts, some great info.
I know what you are saying but the people who use it purely as an excuse to eat junk all the time don't get the point and dont know what they are doing that give it a bad name. You still have to get the bulk of your diet from good wholesome foods....it just allows you indulge a bit if you build it into your diet. a bowl of Ice cream doesnt automatically make you fat......calories and in activity make you fat.

All it is watching your calories and getting your basic macro nutrient needs met. After that you decide what you want to fill the rest of your caloric intake with. Whether you decide to have a treat or not. It basically allows you to build in some cheat, making a diet much easier to stick with. Its flexible dieting. No reason to eat 100% raw, natural "clean" foods. You are much more likely to cheat anyway if you try to do this. The good news is if you get your lean body mass up and your metabolism going you get more calories and essentially cheat a bit more.

And your very wrong about nobody using IIFYM to get super lean.....there are tons. I got to likely 10% myself this summer and I wasn't really using IIFYM just some of the principles.....I eat a lot of chicken, salad, eggs,nuts etc. but I didnt always say no to the hamburgers and ice cream either. Its not race for me.....sure I could get there faster by being more strict but ya gotta live.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:52 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You guy aren't really putting the thread off-topic, it's really just fitness discussion.

Darryl, yes I've heard of MyFitnessPal. I do have it on my phone, and I use it for a few days in a row a couple times a month just to see what I'm doing. What is IIFYM?

I've already lost 2 lbs since starting CrossFit which is comforting. I don't think I need to lose weight but I do know that I'm 12 lbs heavier now as a truck driver than I was as a carpenter 5 years ago, plus my body fat percentage is much higher. I'm just plain ole out of shape. I've also been having some knee soreness and sciatic nerve pain in my left hip/leg, so it's time to do something before it becomes a real problem.

From my uneducated point of view, it seems the gym I picked is very good. They don't push me beyond my limits and they hold back new people from lifting heavy until the movements are well developed. The trainers all seem to know how far I can be pushed, and push me to do my best, but not so far that I am pushed beyond my limits.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:58 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
...calories and in activity make you fat.
Well, yes and no. Nutrient timing and hormone management play a huge role in this. I stopped losing weight for about 6 weeks, until I added 500 calories more per day, then it started dropping again. A calorie is not a calorie, and there is so much more.
As for IIFYM, sure, it works for some, who practice it properly (Layne Norton and Scott Baptie are two that immediately come to mind), but it allows the mentality that cheating is ok, and I guess if that's your thing, then fine. I follow different ideas, and a planned refeed is still top quality ingredients. For my bday, I went out for dinner and had grilled trout and extra veggies . I guess it's all different strokes, and I'm more the "live a lot" than "live a little" kinda guy
Old 10-05-2013, 04:20 AM

Sorry. IFFYM is IF IT FITS YOUR MACROS or some are now calling it DCA (discretionary calorie allowance). Basically you set your calorie intake for your goals, get the optimal macros (protein/fat/fiber and maybe carbs) for muscle growth and/or retention and if you like you can use some discretionary calories for a treat.

Here are some links....if you have any question you could PM me.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=133634471
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=156380183