Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your switch to LED?
Happy - Switched from MH to DIY 7 12.28%
Happy - Switched from T5 to DIY 6 10.53%
Happy - Switched from MH to store bought 19 33.33%
Happy - Switched from T5 to stor bought 8 14.04%
Unhappy - Switched from MH to DIY 0 0%
Unhappy - Switched from T5 to DIY 0 0%
Unhappy - Switched from MH to store bought 4 7.02%
Unhappy - Switched from T5 to store bought 5 8.77%
Happy - this is my first light 7 12.28%
Unhappy - this is my first light 3 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2011, 09:58 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

I'm definetly not 'calling anyone out' as you say. To me however, the purpose of this community is to share info. If that info is how to keep an animal or coral, perfect. In this case, I along with several others, am wondering about a new technology, and people's experiences with it. If it were me, I would share with you guys. If I had purchased an inferior LED fixture, I would let you guys know that it would potentially work for softies, but not for SPS. If it broke soon after purchase, I'd warn you guys.

Unless I miss my guess, most of the 'unhappy' section likely purchased a low end unit that did not work out for their tank, and their plans for their tank. If I remember correctly, there are 3 people that are unhappy with their LED, and it is their first tank, and first light. I assume that they made an uneducated decision and it didn't work out for them. We've all done it... at least I have.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice to hear from them. No big deal... ALL of the people that have written down info are in the positive column. This leads me to believe that LED's are scoring well.

That said, I'm not 100% convinced, and as said, the prices for the factory units are still very high IMO. That being the case, (and since I've already purchased my T5's) I'll be sticking with my T5's on the display, and likely purchase a cheap ebay fixture like Dez has. That fixture will go on my frag tank where I can gauge the technology and decide if I want to make the switch in the future.

To all who have shared info, I appreciate it! I feel like this poll will help many in the near future. Hopefully it doesn't get burried too deep.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Tony, Doch.

What are the dimentions of your tank?

In the meantime, take a look at www.fish-street.com under LED lighting. I have the Key model.

Wayne

Last edited by naesco; 07-04-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I really identify with what you're saying Tony.

The costs of going LED on larger tanks is unreal. I had previously collected used mh parts as they showed up and need a reflector or two for the new tank and voila... lighting is handled. I can replace bulbs and pay the electric for many years before the costs outweigh what an LED setup may cost me.

I certainly want to try LED more all the time but I highly doubt it's going to happen.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 PM
nc208082

Sphelps is right. About the insane price point. That is an obvious problem for some. But when comparing the two I find no one is throwing in the price of a decent halide fixture.

That plus bulb changes and double my hydro bill also comes to around 3-4 thousand. Over next 5 years. Same time frame of Mh usage before I'd upgrade fixture.

The led is not more powerful or better for growing corals. But it is something that is more efficient and removes the need for a chiller and fans.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:00 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Hi Wayne, my tank is 72x30x30. Looking at a single unit for that tank, I see two comparable options:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...2+Inch%29.html (almost $5k )

http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.ph...4b84f6d9596c71 ($4k)

If I look at the Key model you mention, the largest unit I see is 78cm x 27cm at $630ish. I'm not sure what kind of coverage you get off that, in the worst case scenario though I could fit 4 of those over top of my tank and $600*4 = $2400, still a pretty respectable purchase price.

I was looking at these Orphek units that fit inside a T5/T8 socket and they look pretty neat but even then it looks like something like $160 per unit (I assume they mean one T5 replacement). I assume that it's fair to expect 5 to 10 times the longevity out of one of these over one T5 lamp so maybe that's fair but then you lose the ability to "mortgage" that part of the tank expenses over time.

I have very little doubt that with most units available today, that most people don't "regret" the jump to LED, per se. I doubt I'd regret buying a Porsche one day, although that doesn't mean I can afford to get into one. Life's funny that way.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Hi Wayne, my tank is 72x30x30. Looking at a single unit for that tank, I see two comparable options:

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...2+Inch%29.html (almost $5k )

http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.ph...4b84f6d9596c71 ($4k)

If I look at the Key model you mention, the largest unit I see is 78cm x 27cm at $630ish. I'm not sure what kind of coverage you get off that, in the worst case scenario though I could fit 4 of those over top of my tank and $600*4 = $2400, still a pretty respectable purchase price.

I was looking at these Orphek units that fit inside a T5/T8 socket and they look pretty neat but even then it looks like something like $160 per unit (I assume they mean one T5 replacement). I assume that it's fair to expect 5 to 10 times the longevity out of one of these over one T5 lamp so maybe that's fair but then you lose the ability to "mortgage" that part of the tank expenses over time.

I have very little doubt that with most units available today, that most people don't "regret" the jump to LED, per se. I doubt I'd regret buying a Porsche one day, although that doesn't mean I can afford to get into one. Life's funny that way.
My son's tank is 6' by 4'. He bought 2 eco exotic Cannon LED 'pendants' for just under $600.00 each from Ocean Aquatics. His tank looks spectacular. He sent Ocean a picture that they are using. I guess a techy can let you know the difference between the two you are looking at at J&L
http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led...-pendants.html

Last edited by naesco; 07-04-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
My son's tank is 6' by 4'. He bought 2 eco exotic Cannon LED 'pendants' for just under $600.00 each from Ocean Aquatics. His tank looks spectacular. He sent Ocean a picture that they are using. I guess a techy can let you know the difference between the two you are looking at at J&L
http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led...-pendants.html
I didn't see the Cannon's on Ocean Aquatics website but looked up Eco Exotics website and it doesn't give a lot of detail. What kind of spread does a single unit cover and how high does it have to be mounted to get any descent coverage? It looks like one spot light covers a 3'x4' area on your son's tank, is it an SPS tank with only 2 units? It also looks like you can only get one color in each unit is this right also? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 02:20 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

See, if I did end up going LED, there's no question in my mind that I'd go DIY. From the builds that I've seen, it doesn't look like it would be all that hard. The only thing that I'm not sure if you can do with a DIY LED set up is the lightning flashes. Do I need it? No. Would it be cool to have? Likely. Also, may very well be a novelty that would get anoying after a while. For my tank (48*30*26), I priced it out in the realm of $1200-$1700, depending on what extent I would go to (I tend to go overkill). If I hadn't already bought the t5's my decision would likely leave me with about a 100 LED DIY set up. I already bought the t5's... I think I'll stick with them. For now. Come time to do a bulb swap on my 6*36" t5 (current light, soon to be temporary frag tank light), I'm going to sell it, and build a 48 LED set up for the frag tank. At that time, whether I like the LED's or not, I will certainly let you all know.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 07-05-2011, 02:28 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
See, if I did end up going LED, there's no question in my mind that I'd go DIY. From the builds that I've seen, it doesn't look like it would be all that hard. The only thing that I'm not sure if you can do with a DIY LED set up is the lightning flashes. Do I need it? No. Would it be cool to have? Likely. Also, may very well be a novelty that would get anoying after a while. For my tank (48*30*26), I priced it out in the realm of $1200-$1700, depending on what extent I would go to (I tend to go overkill). If I hadn't already bought the t5's my decision would likely leave me with about a 100 LED DIY set up. I already bought the t5's... I think I'll stick with them. For now. Come time to do a bulb swap on my 6*36" t5 (current light, soon to be temporary frag tank light), I'm going to sell it, and build a 48 LED set up for the frag tank. At that time, whether I like the LED's or not, I will certainly let you all know.
Just wait until halloween, they always have flashing LED stuff to simulate lightening and other effects. You could easily rig it up to your tank see what it looks like. And after you've had your fun and relized that it's more of a novilty it's only a few bucks down the sump and that DIY LED fixture will look even more appealing.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
I didn't see the Cannon's on Ocean Aquatics website but looked up Eco Exotics website and it doesn't give a lot of detail. What kind of spread does a single unit cover and how high does it have to be mounted to get any descent coverage? It looks like one spot light covers a 3'x4' area on your son's tank, is it an SPS tank with only 2 units? It also looks like you can only get one color in each unit is this right also? Thanks!
It is a brand new tank but he will be adding SPS a bit later on when the tank matures.
I do not have a light meter but the two units had complete coverage over the whole of the tank. In order to achieve this the pendants hang 12inches above the water line. As he likes the fluorescence the LED provides, he chose blue.
I can't comment on the technical aspects or compare this lighting to other LED lighting from a technical point of view but his tank looks great.
He chose the blue because he likes to observe them fluoresce.

A three foot tank would require one pendant at a $600.00 cost which is comparable to a MH system without the added heat and high maintenace cost.
IMO, one unit would leave the edges dimmer on a 4 foot tank.

If a reefer is starting up a new tank I could not in good conscience recommend MH.

For a reefer who has MH they may decide to wait a little longer to replace their lighting. The price of LEDs will go down a bit, there will be more selection and improvements will be made.