Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 AM

Blom is on a distinguished road
Default Current 28G NanoCube / Distant 180G Tank Build

Hello fellow Canreefers,

Some of you may remember me from a couple of years ago, I started a 90G build only to see it come to a crashing halt shortly after I was ready to start adding livestock. I had to relocate for school and didn't have the space or time for a tank. Or so I though, hindsight is always 20/20. I could have easily moved and continued on my 90G tank. But it was not to be. Well two years later here I am posting on the Tank Journal forum... but why? Well I'm sure the udder boredom from being out in the sticks at work might have something to do with it. Or maybe its just my undashed enthusiasm for the hobby. Could it be the 180G tank I am picking up here in the coming weeks. I'm sure its a mixture of all the aforementioned.

There is a catch to this, there always is... I have yet 8 more months of school after this semester. 8 long more life sucking months and than I can call myself and Engineer. Was it worth the 40 some thousands of dollars, time I guess will tell. If nothing else it has given me a lot of ideas for a tank build, so I guess it paid off. The other final catch is that there is no way I can set this tank up in my current apartment. So we are a ways off from seeing this thing with water. But that doesn't mean we all cant have fun designing it. Ok Ok... i really just want to pick your brains for the next bit as I piece this tank together.

Vision: I am looking to put this tank in the main floor portion of my new yet to be purchased house next year. The choice of house will be seriously effected by how I vision the setup. I am looking to have an in wall setup dividing the Living area with my office. viewable on both sides. The fish room will be housed in the basement, and will be a decent size. It will need to be as I plan on running 1 or 2 more tanks, a larger FOWLR in the basement... approx 400G. And a smaller Sea horse tank to appease the whiffle (as if I don't want it too). All three of these tanks must be run from one fish room as I seriously doubt I will be allowed to turn our house into Sea World. But for the time being this thread will stick to the one tank.

I really wasn't planning on purchasing a tank this far ahead of the move, but when a deal pops up one must snatch it up. I have been glancing at the buy/sell section on canreef for a while now, just to see what I see. Well I found what I was looking for: 180G, 84" L x 24" D x 19" H... thats 7 beautiful feet of critters and corals.

Look at how I've rambled on already... as I said I'm up in the sticks working with an apparent abundance of free time. Not really... So I will get to the first question, the do's and dont's of storing a tank. This is your guys turn... lol

On a side note I am fairly proficient in the Autodesk software so over the next few sets of days off I will be putting together a virtual rendering of what I'm thinking of, and then you can all pick it apart. Seriously... DO pick it apart.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank

Last edited by Blom; 07-29-2011 at 04:37 PM.