Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-18-2009, 05:40 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

sorry I missed this thread untill now. Emerald crabs are the key, 3 of them in your tank, and remove the large one manualy. Don't worry about popping them unless they are going sexual, they are a single cell algae from what I have read. There were bigh threads on them on RC and here about 7 years ago. for my tank I had them pretty bad, I poped all the big ones and then let the emerald crabs clean up the rest.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:45 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

That's interesting about them being single cell organisms. I do have 2 Emerald Crabs in there already, and I suck out as many as I can during waterchanges. It really is getting a lot better lately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyrigger View Post
The reef shoppe in Lloydminster has emerald crabs
This tank is still in Kelowna, BC. I do have to make it to The Reef Shoppe though!

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:28 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

First of all, NO TANGS your tank is too small. Wait a minute, where have I heard that before?
Old 04-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Someone said to me the other day, "My tang has more swimming room in comparison to his size right now (3" Sailfin in a 60 I think it was) than he will when he is full grown in my 180g." I had no comeback. He was right. Similarly, I have noticed that my Kole tang has more swimming room in my 33g than he will when he's full grown in my 90. This is an interesting approach, although I'm not entirely sure which side of that fence I'm on since it encourages people to keep large fish in small spaces with little follow through in upgrading. You know, the upgrade that is always planned but never happens?

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

So the only zeo stuff you're dosing in this tank is part of the zeo nano pack (sponge power, LPSAA, Pohls Xtra and Coral Vitalizer)? Valonia is getting out of control in my nano as well, my crappy CPR bakpak isn't getting the job done so I'm doing rather large weekly waterchanges but algae is still pretty rampant in there. I have all those zeo products and am tempted to try them in there for fun, I can't imagine it getting much worse

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:57 PM

Ya, I'm only dosing the SP and the CV now. I am getting a teeny bit of cyano from using it (there in the afternoon, gone in the morning), but I hear that's normal in the beginning. The Zeo forums suggested I use ZeoZym too, but I don't have a skimmer, so I asked them back about that, and haven't heard yet. I really think the change in Kelvin made quite a difference too. I changed the bulbs on my tank to higher Kelvin, added two Emeralds, the tang (who may or may not be helping), and then my tank went from end of December to middle of March without a waterchange. I started these Zeo additives in the middle of March. When I came back to see the tank in March (last time I saw it was NYE) the tank was significantly lower in Valonia. Now a month later and Zeo, an even bigger jump towards non-Valonia-ness. So...I'm led to believe the Zeo is helping too, but I think the biggest factors for me was the Kelvin change, and possibly the Emerald crabs, and possibly the tang. If the Emerald crabs and/or tang contribute to the control, they are slow to make a difference. Both are constantly picking at the rock. So...I'm not entirely sure. I did a lot of changes.

For bulbs, I was using one Giesemann Actinic+ and one Giesemann Midday 6000K. The bulbs were 10 months old when I changed them to one KZ Fiji Purple and one AquaScience 17,500K which is quite a blue combination. It's good for supplementing my current MH though! The Valonia was at its worst during the 10 months of Giesemann bulbs, coming to a peak when I finally changed them out. I am fairly certain the low Kelvin was a significant contributing factor to the INCREASE of Valonia growth, I would not say the bulbs were the CAUSE, as the Valonia was already there when I put the Giesemanns in.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-18-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:51 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Myka that was me that said that. I had a 1" Regal in my 24 x 12 and in comparison to his size he has more simming room than an Adult regal in a 220 gallon.

like you said though will a person actually follow through with their upgrade or is there going to be a big tang in a small tank.

I do agree tangs need alot of swimming space and the only reason I bought him was because of me upgrading. Poor little guy would get lost even in a 70 gallon.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 PM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

I have been having fairly good success lately using a dental scraper and either scraping them of popping them as soon as i see them. The trick is to get them when they are still babies and not sexually mature. Its amazing how many fish will eat any floating ones.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Myka that was me that said that. I had a 1" Regal in my 24 x 12 and in comparison to his size he has more simming room than an Adult regal in a 220 gallon.
I was referring to someone else who said that, I know who it was, just don't want to post names. I don't remember this story about your Regal. Of course I have a memory like a sieve...catches the big stuff, but the details go down the drain. Was there a thread about your tang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
I have been having fairly good success lately using a dental scraper and either scraping them of popping them as soon as i see them. The trick is to get them when they are still babies and not sexually mature. Its amazing how many fish will eat any floating ones.
I should start using a tool. I just use the end of my siphon tube to dislodge them. A little pick would work much better. Thanks for the advice!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-18-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

No there wasnt a threa about the tang.