Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
In my case I spoke with the engineer for Lifebreath here in London where they are made, and he took the square footage of the house, the year it was built, extra insulation of any kind added after the build, and then wanted to know the surface area and temperature of all the open water in my house, to come up with an accurate determination.
much difference from the regular formula for the 0.35 air changes an hour (sqft x height / 60 x 0.35 to give CFM)
Old 12-23-2011, 03:47 AM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

The reason for it was circumstances not normal to most houses.
I had over 1000g of open water in my basement with all the tanks, the brine shrimp operation, nanno culturing and ageing water vessels.
Simple formula just wouldn't cut the mustard.
Also, when I got mine there were hardly any contracters that even understood HRV's and ERV's.
Most of them tried to sell me ERV's which don't work well below -5°C.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 AM

bkelly is on a distinguished road

I found that too, the two i talked to in Kelowna didnt know much and what they did new was with HRVs for new homes, I knew what i wanted from Canreef mostly but listened to them and we figured it out.

brent
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
The reason for it was circumstances not normal to most houses.
I had over 1000g of open water in my basement with all the tanks, the brine shrimp operation, nanno culturing and ageing water vessels.
Simple formula just wouldn't cut the mustard.
Also, when I got mine there were hardly any contracters that even understood HRV's and ERV's.
Most of them tried to sell me ERV's which don't work well below -5°C.
most of use aren't normal so why was asking . Could you work backward, for how many air exchanges per hour was recommended?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:26 PM

As I don't have the knowledge to properly determine I left everything up to the engineer. I would have no idea as to being able to work it backwards because there are so many variables from home to home.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:30 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

you guys do all realize that the freeze up problems with ERVs were solved years ago, Although companies still state this to sell there HRV's.... but I do agree for this situation a HRV is probably good.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

I have nothing to say bad to say about HRV but if you have one installed, make sure you replace your furnace filter more frequent than before else you will have a furnace problem like mine where the safety switch failed because of the filter clogged up
Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
As I don't have the knowledge to properly determine I left everything up to the engineer. I would have no idea as to being able to work it backwards because there are so many variables from home to home.
Simply for number of air exchanges, how many square feet is you house, how high the ceilings, CFM rating of your HRV?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:59 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
I have nothing to say bad to say about HRV but if you have one installed, make sure you replace your furnace filter more frequent than before else you will have a furnace problem like mine where the safety switch failed because of the filter clogged up
shouldent be because of the HRV at all as there is filters in that. if anything the furnace filter should be cleaner as your HRV is supplying your make up air. now if you have your HRV installed what I call the lazy way where it is tied into your furnace ducting then ya it will tax your furnace filter more, but installing this way doesn't make the most efficient use of the HRV system.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Simply for number of air exchanges, how many square feet is you house, how high the ceilings, CFM rating of your HRV?
House is about 1280 sq. ft. not counting the basement. Ceilings are 8ft.
HRV is a 300 DCS and the specs are the last line on this page.