Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Banned

unclesalty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockrookie View Post
where are you getting them from if you dont mind my asking.
I buy mine off of ebay. The one I bought yesterday was $6.00 w/free shipping so you can't go wrong! Last one I bought I got 6 holes out of it so a $1.00 a hole. Drill a hole for only a $1.00!! LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Banned

Lockrookie's idea worked excellent and the overflow box top edge is 100% perfect down to the exact mm!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Banned

Overflow is now complete but still waiting for the 3rd bulkhead to arrive which should be anyday now and also still waiting for the drill bit for returns. Deciding also whether to use a gate valve or a ball valve on the siphon as they both have their pros and cons.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Besides some extra cost what disadvantage would a gate valve possibly have? I use them on my herbie and on each outlet on my manifold. Love the control they allow over a ball valve.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Besides some extra cost what disadvantage would a gate valve possibly have? I use them on my herbie and on each outlet on my manifold. Love the control they allow over a ball valve.
I totally agree that the adjustabilty of a gate valve is excellent unlike a ball valve which is terrible. Only problem with gate valves is their not as durable as ball valves from what more than one person has said. 1 yr to 1-1/2 yr sometimes I have heard which would suck to have to replace. It sounds like the salt gets in the stem seal which causes them to leak. I would much prefer a gate valve as the siphon adjustment can be touchy I've heard but 1yr-to 1-1/2 yr thing kind of shys me away from them. How long have you had yours for? Other opinions?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesalty View Post
I totally agree that the adjustabilty of a gate valve is excellent unlike a ball valve which is terrible. Only problem with gate valves is their not as durable as ball valves from what more than one person has said. 1 yr to 1-1/2 yr sometimes I have heard which would suck to have to replace. It sounds like the salt gets in the stem seal which causes them to leak. I would much prefer a gate valve as the siphon adjustment can be touchy I've heard but 1yr-to 1-1/2 yr thing kind of shys me away from them. How long have you had yours for? Other opinions?
The gate valve on my 150g reef is coming up on 3 years. The one on my FOWLR is 2 years old. So far so good. And ya, it would really suck to have to replace them.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
The gate valve on my 150g reef is coming up on 3 years. The one on my FOWLR is 2 years old. So far so good. And ya, it would really suck to have to replace them.
Do you open and close it on a regular basis or does is it just stay open? Bean animal and Uncleof6 from RC were 2 of the people that said not to go with a gate
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Do you open and close it on a regular basis or does is it just stay open? Bean animal and Uncleof6 from RC were 2 of the people that said not to go with a gate
On mixed reef with the 3 year old valve I open and close it fully maybe once a month. I like to do this to flush any crud that may have collected in there. I probably adjust the valve (minor adjustments), every couple of weeks to re-adjust the water level in the overflow. Although many times this just leads me to opening the valve fully to flush it anyway and then re-adjusting the water level.

As for the 2 year old valve on my FOWLR, that sucker gets opened weekly with every water change (or two weeks if I'm being lazy). It is part of my water change system so gets opened and closed quite a lot.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
On mixed reef with the 3 year old valve I open and close it fully maybe once a month. I like to do this to flush any crud that may have collected in there. I probably adjust the valve (minor adjustments), every couple of weeks to re-adjust the water level in the overflow. Although many times this just leads me to opening the valve fully to flush it anyway and then re-adjusting the water level.

As for the 2 year old valve on my FOWLR, that sucker gets opened weekly with every water change (or two weeks if I'm being lazy). It is part of my water change system so gets opened and closed quite a lot.
5 years between 2 of them sounds pretty convincing! A person could put in a ball valve also I guess for water changes but I wouldn't bother with that. Are yours sched 40 or 80? What brand are they? Do you know what your gasket type is on yours?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
5 years between 2 of them sounds pretty convincing! A person could put in a ball valve also I guess for water changes but I wouldn't bother with that. Are yours sched 40 or 80? What brand are they? Do you know what your gasket type is on yours?
Well, I wouldn't suggest that my experience is the norm :-) Just my experience with them.

Sched 40 on both. No idea what brand. Just grabbed it out of a box of valves from my LFS <blatant_plug>Red Coral Calgary </blatant_plug>. I have no idea what gasket type, sorry.