Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Rather the **** to cycle the tank than damsals.

And subman don't make a habit of it.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post

And subman don't make a habit of it.

Dude... Uncool. Seriously. One never doesn't simply tell a man he can't pee into his tank. Wars have been started over less.

Subman, on behalf of the rest of the internet, allow me to apologize for this guy's callous and unthinking hate mongering.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
I may have been guilty of peeing in my tank to get things going lol
Haha. If I tried I'm sure company would walk in. Ill stick to peeing in the shower
Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

a 2 or 3 day cycle can be done using products like dr tims and you could add fish but i find when using dry rock i always get quite an algea bloom.With a bunch of fish it will be hard to control nutrients at first and that bloom is going to be hard to knock down and corals arn`t going to be happy .Its not the way i would start a tank because it would take me longer to get it turned around then it would to set it up right.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:18 AM
Thinks he can get Mods fired

acepumping is on a distinguished road

FINALLY!! Some legit answers instead of been bashed. Albert, thanks for your opinion. I have met and know that your a smart guy this way.. I am still going tondo it the old way.. just going tonseed my tank with a few rocks and get some dry rock and let it cycle. But im going to let it go for a good month.. the old way is the proper way but new technology allows us to jump to our steps faster.. its not like the old products that were hit and miss

Once again thanks to the real ones that gave me legits answers
Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 AM

Xadieu is on a distinguished road

You can try using Prodibio START UP for the initial stage of your tank. I've never tried it but I heard good reviews on it.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:28 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
I may have been guilty of peeing in my tank to get things going lol
Note to self: never put my hands into Jason's tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Haha. If I tried I'm sure company would walk in. Ill stick to peeing in the shower
Yuck!

I have done fast tank set ups before, but they would be more similar to a tank transfer then a new tank set up. Because I have over 1000g of saltwater in my house (I have 5 tanks) and Doug (my boyfriend has 1) I have extra live rock to choose from (mostly in Doug's sump). I used some of his rock (fully cured rock that has been in his newest tank for a year now, that he's had for several years now) to quickly (or instantly) cycle the newly set up tank.

Basically I set up the new tank with new sand and newly made saltwater. Then I take the rock from mine or Doug's tanks and move the fully cured live rock over (completely submerged in saltwater to avoid die off during the move) and add the rock to the new tank. Then I've added (figured it couldn't hurt) either prodibio start up http://www.prodibio.com/start-quickl...cal-filtration to help with the cycle or Seachem Stability http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...Stability.html Usually I wait 2-3 days test everything and usually everything is good to go.

Now even I (who admittedly, is impatient as hell) still wait a full week before adding anything and then only add a few things here and there per week after. Still a lot faster then usual, but I've only been able to get away with it because of starting with fully cured established live rock.

Last edited by fishoholic; 01-26-2013 at 03:31 PM.