Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-26-2012, 04:48 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Oh sure!!! I had to wait weeks to get my pumps and now it seems like EVERYONE is getting them like going to the store for bread

Are you going to run them externally Steve? When I read the instruction manual it only said submerged
Yeah I'm using them external, everything I've seen online suggests external/internal use and they appear to be properly sealed so I guess we'll see. Would kinda suck if they are internal only.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Steve looks great man well done. always love the way you bring things
together.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Another hole

The hole will be used for the return line/manifold, already partially built and painted black. Both pumps will tie into the same line for now.

Here's a quick look at the cabinet work above the tank so far. Doors will be put on later and the ceiling will continue out in this style. Either some drywall painted white or some white melamine will be cut to fit into each opening. They will be screwed in place and made to be removable for any needed future access. The screws will be covered with some kind of finishing trim which will also be removable. Also contemplating a cove style light concept for accept as well as pot lights in some areas which is still TBD.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 PM

Got the overflow box remade and installed the other day. Big thanks to Dave again for rushing that through the shop for me.

Looks like I forgot to turn the light when I took those pics
Anyways the overflow is pretty big but for good reason, one so I have access being that it has to protrude through a wall and the other relates to volume needed for the two pumps. The idea here is rather than running a traditional return pump I run a large return pump direct from the overflow to to the tank for circulation, the head loss here is very minor. Then I run a second smaller return pump from the sump to the overflow. Sort of like an overflow in an overflow or something you might do as a mod to an AIO tank. My reasoning for it is as follows;
  • Take advantage of external pumps for circulation without adding an actual closed loop.
  • Being able to separate the sump system from the tank without effecting the actual tank flow, good for maintenance and/or future additions or changes.
  • Separate control of sump turnover rate.
  • Possible gains in efficiency and lower noise levels.
  • Possible gains in simplicity and reliability when compared to closed loop.
  • Double surface skim effect (water from tank skimmed at high flow, then overflow skimmed at low flow and fed directly into skimmer intake).
  • Possible to add variable pump control if later available.
I'm running two pumps just for redundancy, if one fails then I still have circulation. Also being DC pumps I figure someone will release a module for external control with 0-10V so having two pumps will allow alternate flow patterns.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:56 AM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

very nice!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:05 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

looks incredible man .....umm i hope you know how all that works lol i pity the tank sitter:P:P:P
Old 09-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
looks incredible man .....umm i hope you know how all that works
When I see stuff done like this, my head hurts!! In my mind, my builds start out like this, but end up as a pipe draining my tank and length of hose going back in
Nice job!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:36 PM

Thanks guys.... I think

I'm planning on a decent amount of remote monitoring so I can keep an eye on things when I'm away, I just can't go anywhere without internet access or cell service. The room is a little overwhelming, there are 17 valves so far but for the most part they are just for maintenance stuff. Not like I'm in there turning valves all the time

Plan is to setup a quarantine system this weekend and start a 6 week quarantine for the fish I have now so I'm starting fresh, hopefully without any parasites. Never done this before but being that this tank is mostly about fish and some will likely be pretty expensive and sensitive it just makes sense.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 AM

Qt all setup

I'll be setting up an identical tank below
Old 10-01-2012, 01:54 AM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Any prophylactic treatments being done? Hypo? Paraguard?

Also, for remote monitoring I love my IP camera. I set a bunch of preset locations on it, which really helps. I can see water levels in the tank and sump, and the floor around the system. I can even see the polyps on most corals. It was worth every penny.