Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Tom I appreciate it!

Bill, you're totally right about the regals, man they really are big babies aren't they. And even though he's about 6" he still tries to cram himself in the smallest crevices of rock which is likely why he emerged unscathed.

I had a look this morning to see if the scopas was still in there. He's hanging out in the back forty but the flashlight definitely gives a more realistic view of what is going on. His entire back is burnt for lack of a better word, there is a dark black strip of what I imagine is either dead or cooked skin. I'm just leaving the actinics on today because who wants to go out in the sun when you have a bad sunburn. He didn't eat last night, but that means nothing to me as the PBT was out and eating before he kicked it. Anyway, maybe I'll have to do a shorter routine of MH or find enough screening for the full tank to reduce the MH strength some.

The flashlight also showed that there is a bit of tissue left on the undersides of some of the corals. If I can just stop the tissue recession (with the mighty power of positive thought because nobody really knows what to do about STN) I bet they'd regrow over the exposed skeleton.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:30 AM
bvlester

I'd bet they would regrow too. Are you dosing with anything to help the healing process?
I'd run the actinics only for a few days it wont hurt anything may even help some of the corals and the coriline realy like it. I do not run MH for reasons I have come acrss and seen. they also eat the power to much. T5HO work just as good and you can get bulbs that put out 20,000k, 14,000k, 12,000K, 10,000, 6,500K and actinics. I run a 4 bulb unit right now but have a couple single unit here also that I am continplating adding to the mix once the 90g is up and running. Right now I run 2 10,000K and 2 actinics. ever body is happy. the 2 extra lights will have 12,000K or 14,000K as the 90g is deeper and these will be on for 4hrs only at high noon. my actinics stay on all the time just the 10,000K are on and off except night no lights at all. If ick rears it head the 10,000K are on for only 2-3hrs high noon the rest of the day it is only actinics for 2 hrs at a time. I may go 2on 2off or 2on 1off depending what is happening. it doen't seem to bother the fish they get use to it. I call it bad weather days as tropical storms can last weeks.

I hope for the best for you nad your tank, speedy recovery.

Bill
Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Oh...snap!
Sorry to hear about this Christy.
Was this on the 90 still or had you transferred the corals over to the new box already?
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Staff

This was on the 90. I'm still waiting for the 180 to cycle.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 AM

neoh is on a distinguished road

what all came from this disaster?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:51 AM
Staff

I ended up losing 3 fish: a kole tang, powder blue tang and midas blenny. All of the frags on my frag rack from CoralMaster and a friend up north who was preparing me for the tank move with bonus frags, died as well. I think I lost about 25+ frags. The large pocilipora colony survived as well as a "hitchhiker" frag on the side of an aquacultured acro. The aquacultured acro's underbranches came back and are growing in nicely. The cyphastrea survived as only the top part was badly bleached. All of the coralline on the top of the rocks was burned off and the rocks were stark white for some time but have coralline on them again.

I put glass shields on all of my reflectors. Its much easier to clean now and although the regal tang still splashes the bloody things at least it will just be the glass that breaks and not the bulb.

My 180 Build

Old 03-20-2010, 05:32 AM

muck is on a distinguished road

Good to hear Mr. Purplepants survived that fiasco.
Too bad about the frags...
Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
Good to hear Mr. Purplepants survived that fiasco.
Too bad about the frags...

Mr Purplepants is such a wussy he probably hid in the rocks the whole time. This time it saved his arse. UV burn has to be one of the worst things I've ever seen on a fish (aside from those monstrous "to the bone" lesions I've seen on salmon). Yeah it really sucked about the frags, I've gone through photos and have my "wish list" which I'm slowly working away at. Sadly I think some of them aren't (easily) replaceable as Sarah lost some colonies over the winter. I hate it when you lose friendly freebies, nothing like going back to the person "uhh, remember that stuff you gave me? Can I have it again?"

My 180 Build

Old 03-20-2010, 05:29 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

If I still have it, you're welcome to a chunk..but I lost TONS over the winter. And my tank is just starting to look like it's worth looking at anyways.

So sorry to hear about your trouble ... I seem to have missed this thread.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Frenchie2 is on a distinguished road

My purple tang has had a "cloudy" eye for months, probably due to running into something in the tank. It doesn't seem to bother him, he swims like a mad man and eats like a pig and seems to see through that eye anyways. I guess that's going to stay like that forever... Sorry to read about this incident... What a bummer!