Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Wicked Frags

Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Make sure that's real wood you're knocking on......

OMG spitting milk all over!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Make sure that's real wood you're knocking on......
Wish i could still have teenage wood
Old 05-14-2009, 02:40 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
Wish i could still have teenage wood
Not even going to go there .
Levi
Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

OMG I go and watch Hellboy II and I miss everything! I need to have less of a social life so I can pay more attention to Canreef
Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sorry, but I'm with the other staff members here. When there are posts that are prefaced with "The staff here are arbitrary", it IS insulting to us. I feel this way too everytime the issue of censorship comes up. And it makes me wonder why I continue to do this.

Yes, some things get removed from public view sometimes. And that's never going to change. If there are problems with a post, it will get pulled and not always will the reasoning be publicly posted.

Think of this example, if a student is suspended or expelled from a school, the principal, the teachers, the school board do not come out and publicly invade that student's (or others) privacy by announcing the reason. Sometimes the reasons just plain aren't for public knowledge.

We the staff run the board. In my opinion, we do a pretty good job of keeping it open and friendly. Other boards put up with far less than we do, but if you really feel that more transparency is required on the part of the staff, well, we beg to differ. Sorry but that is the reality.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:28 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Sorry, but I'm with the other staff members here. When there are posts that are prefaced with "The staff here are arbitrary", it IS insulting to us. I feel this way too everytime the issue of censorship comes up. And it makes me wonder why I continue to do this.

Yes, some things get removed from public view sometimes. And that's never going to change. If there are problems with a post, it will get pulled and not always will the reasoning be publicly posted.

Think of this example, if a student is suspended or expelled from a school, the principal, the teachers, the school board do not come out and publicly invade that student's (or others) privacy by announcing the reason. Sometimes the reasons just plain aren't for public knowledge.

We the staff run the board. In my opinion, we do a pretty good job of keeping it open and friendly. Other boards put up with far less than we do, but if you really feel that more transparency is required on the part of the staff, well, we beg to differ. Sorry but that is the reality.
Well said Tony. I do not have to rehash everyone else has already said. but agree with it 100%

J
Old 05-14-2009, 06:45 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

I can certainly appreciate that alot goes in in the background and I'm not sitting here all day reading each and every post to a thread as they go up to see if something rally offensive happens. But maybe just a note to the originator of the thread telling them it's being pulled and why would be nice. I still have no idea why my other thread disappeared other than maybe some Big Al's supporters were offended.

Sorry to Hijack this a bit Dave, it's slightly related but I'll return the programming to you now
Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
IMO arbitrary isn't quite the right word to use here but I understand how why it was chosen. The lack of transparency for the reasoning behind some of these decisions is frustrating sometimes. I found myself wondering if or how my contributions contributed to the problems. Why had the staff decided to kill the thread? Did I miss something nasty posted? Is there drama I am not a part of or am I unknowingly in the middle of it? I was vexed, really rather vexed.

Then I remembered that I needed a new spark plug for the lawnmower and priorities shifted. Turns out I have a life and stuff.

Quote:
Most of the time when somebody says they want transparency they really want input into how the situation is handled. There's lots of lively discussion here, opinions vary and some posters (like myself for example) are stubborn, arrogant and abrupt at times. In what fantasy world do you have to live in that you would think somebody's bad behavior in a thread about skimmers would not spill over and probably escalate in some sort of meta discussion about how to deal with the thread that was out of control?

When you ask the mods to open these things up to further discussion what you are really asking them is to start a never ending pile of shat. Some sort of flamewar race to the bottom that they have to devote more time to day after day.

It's not a reasonable request, go buy a spark plug.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:04 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Wow, you go clean the skimmer, check the tanks and go to bed without checking the thread…and there are 36 replies!

First let me say I think the mods and admin team do a good job here on Canreef. This thread was not closed immediately, and honestly, I think they are part of the reason this board is the most active in Canada and has had the number of active members increase more than 50% during the time I have been here (obviously the members contribute significantly also!). Other forums, well we have watched the number of active members steadily decrease. Would I like to have seen the other thread edited instead of closed, yes. Do I agree with EVERY reefkeeping recommendation and/or statement the mod and admin team make, no. Should we respect the fact their job is not an easy one being mindful they have the best interests of the board in mind, yes.

Now that being said, as I mentioned in the first post the topic of LE/Tyree/ORA and other brand name corals being marketed and sold in Canada warrants further discussion as it could affect many members, reefkeepers (at all levels), including sponsors. There are many many reasons to discuss this further – some of which could be considered significant.

I would be happy to host the discussion in a new thread in the wickedfrags forum. Discussion would not mention specific vendors (unless of course they chose to participate just like the last thread). Thread would remain civil, professional and as courteous as possible at all times, while still expressing your thoughts whatever they may be (however if they are deemed over the top or inappropriate they would be edited).

This topic could very well represent a new and exciting opportunity for both reefkeepers and sponsors. Being mindful of the board's interests, I would invite the moderators to assist in the thread moderation as I am on the east coast and not online nearly as much as they are.

I sincerely hope this important topic is not overlooked and further discussion is allowed. It would be disappointing and perhaps considered irresponsible by some to turn a blind eye to this discussion and pretend the topic never arose on the board.

Look forward to your continued replies.

and while the chat above is all serious……..ya I thought the teenage wood comment was funny )
Old 05-14-2009, 01:10 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post

now that being said, as i mentioned in the first post the topic of le/tyree/ora and other brand name corals being marketed and sold in canada warrants further discussion
+1