Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Those ones in the first pics were made using tin snips and look great.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:53 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
I'm not saying its a waste of time, I was just wondering if it was worth your time...Dont get me wrong, I love to save money as well but if it a matter of being able to buy the product vs build it myself, I would consider all sides of the equation. I did however, plumb my tank and thought it was a lot of fun. But then again, I cant buy a plumbed tank but I could have hired omeone to do the job.

It is different for me as the more I work, the more I increase my future pay whereas someone with a salaried job will only see instant compensation in terms of overtime or other benefits.
My job is the same. I work from home and the more work I do the more money I make. Generally I do a bit more than what I am expected but not much. I am not someone who can spend my whole life working

I just don't see my time as you see yours. I can't put a price on it. If I did think that way, there would be so many things I would never do.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:44 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the DIY projects and find them rewarding. Many times when it is all said and done even without a price tag on labour they may not be that finacially rewarding. I enjoy the problem solving and the tinkering. I have two kids and try to include them in the projects as much as possible. When things come together and they work I think it can be a valuable lesson in physics, biology, electricity, and even life. Even if I break even on a project I sometimes take solace in the fact that the quality of many of the components are better than those found in pre-assembled products.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Those ones in the first pics were made using tin snips and look great.
I only meant if *I* had to use tin snips it would look like cat barf. There's always a slight warp introduced into the aluminum everytime I squeeze down. Actually even the ones you pictured I can see that in it too, although it's pretty minor. I guess it's not reason in itself not to do the project but I was just saying if it was me, I'd prefer a press for the cuts over tin snips. It can't be THAT hard to find access to a press .. I bet most machine shops would be able to do it if you provided the metal and the measurements.. having said that it's not something I'd ever look into. For me, I wouldn't do this project but I actually meant I understand why you might want to do the project. It's all good.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Chris_A is on a distinguished road

Delphinus,
Do you mean, use snips then press the edge flat or use a shear? Just trying to clarify is all.

A shear would only be useful for the outside edges. Any cut outs would have to be done by hand and because of the design even a notcher would be of limited use. If one was really good they could be made with a zip disk, some kind of backer and deburring tool... but you'd have WAY more patience than I. If it was a job at the shop, for sure! For home DIY... snips would be good enough for *me* .

So far as getting a shop to do it, I don't know what going rate out there is but I get charged out at $95/hour for fab work... (and that's cheap, the shop down the road charges $120/h) Assuming the fab is a one of (or a small number anyway), a store bought one would look dirt cheap after that bill! Honestly the only way I could see these being produced cheaply is by hand (diy) or mass production with a Punch Press. Lol! I seem to be fresh out of those... Anyone got one sitting in a corner of their garage? Maybe with the right die's sitting around too? j/k

Chris
Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
whats your time worth? if its 10 bux an hour or less, then its worth your time to build it but if u normally make 25-50 bux an hour, I would think twice...But thats just my opinion.

Time is of the essence, but ius it really, when it comes to hobbies? SOme people, like me, acctually LIKE building things. I sometimes(alot of times through errors) end up paying MORE to build it myself. But, I got the satisfaction, and knowledge that you can't get from just opening up a box.

Like my Business slogan, "Because custom does not come in a box

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

$95 per hour huh. Ok tin snips it is!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Chris_A is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
$95 per hour huh. Ok tin snips it is!
Cheers! lol.

The worst part is I have access to the machines for home projects... I just never have the time to do them and I would have to punch out... At that point yes, yes my time is worth something...

Chris
Old 01-07-2009, 11:33 PM

Ya Dude is on a distinguished road

Just make one, and let us know if it worth it.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:54 AM

daddy01 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Have you tried a HydroPonic(speling?) outlet I was told they might have sheets if reflective materials.
JIm