Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-20-2015, 03:36 AM

Apo Reefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Wow, and there is some serious competition too!
Here's 2015 Top 20. Bora-bora only comes 2nd. I was surprise Great Barrier Reef only came 6th and surprisingly Vancouver Island came 7th.

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...awards-2014/20

Trust me you won't be disappointed, my co-worker went there for their honey moon and he said that's the best place they ever been and will be back there in a couple of years.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Hubby bought me a Suunto Zoop for Christmas. It's Nitrox-ready. Now all I need is a wet suit, and I'm all ready to go!

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Apo Reefer is on a distinguished road

I'm jealous! Can't wait to see the dive videos.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:11 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Heres some pics of a dive on our last trip off the northern tip of Cebu. Shortly after this we entered an island with caves filled with white tip sharks. Really cool dive

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 AM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

That's a good computer. I have been using one for a few years and when my wife's old Mosquito packed it in Bonaire last March we bought her one too.
If you like logging your dives high-tech style pick up the data cable so you can download your dives to a computer. I also bought a DC Buddy for wireless downloads to my iPad, but now I use a Surface Pro 4 and will use the data cable.

Quote:
Hubby bought me a Suunto Zoop for Christmas. It's Nitrox-ready. Now all I need is a wet suit, and I'm all ready to go!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:05 PM

10 more sleeps!

Check out the dive sites: http://www.atlantishotel.com/scubadi...e_sites_pg.php

We're going to do a day trip to Verde Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
That's a good computer. I have been using one for a few years and when my wife's old Mosquito packed it in Bonaire last March we bought her one too.
If you like logging your dives high-tech style pick up the data cable so you can download your dives to a computer. I also bought a DC Buddy for wireless downloads to my iPad, but now I use a Surface Pro 4 and will use the data cable.
Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll have to bring my laptop.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:58 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

The last 10 days is the longest!
We are in Cozumel now and having some great dives!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
The last 10 days is the longest!
We are in Cozumel now and having some great dives!
Awesome, I loved Cozumel when we visited!

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:18 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyone been to the area? Any tips (dive related or not)? I've never been to Asia before.
So I've officially been to the area now. Spent two full days plus an afternoon there. Reallllly wanted to dive but the weather....
Went snorkelling though near coral gardens resort. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Getting to Galera was pretty easy, we took an ALPS bus from Cubao station in Manila to Batangas Pier. 164 pesos for trip, the ALPS busses are he biggest and nicest on average and have A/C and WIFI. When you get off the bus (last stop) you'll be approached by some locals. Wanting to carry your bags, or tell you the last boat has left. I just say no thank you or better yet bring a Filipino with you like I did they're much more effective we still got led to the ticket booths by 2 guys after saying no we don't need your help.
Anyhow just exit the bus loop cross the street and head to pier 3, it's on the far left. We had 2 options on boats to take, just choose which ticket window. Either MSL (Minolo shipping lines) (275p+30p port fee), or FSL (father and son lines) (270p+30p port fee. We took MSL there and FSL back. I would recommend the FSL. Bigger boats on average which should mean a more comfortable 1hr 15min trip. You'll be going direct to Sabang I'm assuming. The trip back on FSL was 230p, no port fee.

Once there you might wanna tour around the island a bit if you have time. Sabang is a bit of red light district at night. As is White Beach where we stayed. You may wanna check out the one or 2 water falls further down island or the lookout at Pandora at sunset between Puerto Galera town proper and White Beach. (Take a left just before the Fil Oil station) you can see all of Galera from up there. The locals recommended this as the waterfalls are cold, haha they don't know what cold is.

Getting around is easy but can be expensive if you plan on touring around much. Tricycles are the most common method of transport, they can take up to 20 people... Kidding, 2 adults in the side car, but the locals really load these things up, it's quite funny. It'll cost you about 100 peso to go to Galera town one way, or 250-300 one way to white beach. If you or the hubby is confident on a motorcycle I would recommend just renting a scooter or dirt bike while you're there. The road especially between Sabang and Galera is a bit dangerous (unmarked hairpins and broken concrete) but it will save you a fair bit of cash and time in the long run if you plan on cruising around. Just remember to stay to the right and watch for oncoming trucks and other motorcycles! Scooters run about 400p per day and 2100 per week and dirt bikes are more but didn't ask about the price. If someone tells you a price for anything just bargain with them

Don't drink the tap water in Galera, which is the case with anywhere in the Philippines. The water there comes from underground and has a bit of an off smell. And when using toilets if you use toilet paper put it in the trash bin or use the spray nozzle to clean up (I find this to be quite awkward) I think their sanitary system uses septic tanks

For food I would recommend El Galleon anytime of day, great menu and quality. We had a pork chop special for dinner before we left that was amazing. About $12cad... Also there's a pizza/Italian place near the Muelle port (Robbie's pizzeria). And while you're in the Philippines you have to try one of these... Balot (partially developed duck egg), chicken or pork Isaw (intestines on a skewer), Sisig (fried pigs ear dish)

I'll try to post some pics when I get back home on the 7th. We're catching a direct flight to El Nido today for 5 days, will hopefully get to do some diving there
Old 01-31-2016, 12:34 AM

Hey thanks for the detailed response!!!! How long is the trip from Manila airport to Batangas? I read reviews on Trip Advisor that said the Sabang area has plenty of hookers at night. Just what I was looking for!

Thanks for the info on the scooters too. I was thinking I might like to rent one. I'm not sure I'll be doing a whole lot of exploring because hubby is actually staying at home and I'm traveling with a bunch of people that I don't know very well, so I may end up being a bit of a chicken. I would love to see some of the waterfalls and other sights I've heard about though.

I love to try new foods, but there's no way I'm eating weird meats. That's where I draw the line!

SPS fanatic.