Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Not to make this any more controversial, but I refuse to believe or live my life by the creed of "The world is what it is and we have to lower our standards and join it. There's nothing we can do about it."
We all have choices in what we say and how we say it. Some people are truly double faced. One persona in person, but because they hide behind some alias on a forum, a totally different person on line because they feel they can get away with it. The more that spirit is adopted as the norm and is ok, the lower these forums will sink into tirades, name calling and un-fettered venting of emotions.
Keep in mind this a hobby. My view of a forum like this is to share our experience, meet with like minded people who share a common interest (because my wife sure doesn't share it, lol), give help and get it when needed. But there's huge differences in experience, temperaments, and code of conduct between all our members. And that's Ok. But I think we still have to have standards and hold to account those who don't respect that.
And guess what, if someone has a differing opinion than I, no amount of disrespect and name calling is going to change my mind. A well written post, with the intent of HELPING me might.

It all comes down to choices. We're either part of the problem or part of the solution. We can all choose to be tactful, helpful and kind and enjoy ourselves here, or do the reverse and feel uncomfortable posting our mistakes or experiences because we know we're going to get lambasted.
I totally agree with this sentiment.

I am far more diplomatic online, especially on Canreef & BCA, than I sometimes an in person because I know what I write and post leaves a record of who I am and what I stand for. I do not try to hide behind the "anonymity" of the internet maybe because I know or have met most of the local reefers and aquarists (or at least it seems that way). I think it is not that hard for each of us to re-read and think about what we have typed before hitting the "Submit Reply" button. In person, we might react out of shock, but online, we can pause and think "do I really want others to read this post?"

At the same time, I understand that there are some individuals who drive each of us a little crazy and what they write, will be taken negatively and likely to elicit a negative response. Some of the negative posts may be due to immaturity or someone having a bad day, as others have mentioned. Unfortunately, we cannot edit our own posts after 15 minutes or so, and whatever was posted while we were in a bad mood becomes permanently posted for everyone to see (unless the staff deletes it).

Just my $.02.

Anthony
Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

I think some posters here should go back and have a read at some previous threads they've contributed to.

What constitutes animosity is different for each individual, for some, they are comfortable arguing and can handle a passionate, opinionated conversation...both ways, giving and receiving comments adverse to the others in any given thread.

For others, they feel even disagreeing with them is inflammatory, forget about forming a solid example based argument to refute their position on something.

Where I see the biggest loss for this forum is with those members who have a sense of entitlement due to their post count or familiarity withy the regulars on here.

So many newbs and occasional posters get razzed or outright disrespected for asking questions on issues that come up often and repeatedly in the hobby when starting out.

Even some more experienced board members aren't spared the wrath of these uppity reefers should they ask something considered redundant or a simple google search away from getting an answer.

Often, those who do act this way don't even realize it as they are so comfortable on their high horse they don't realize it's a minority who are riding them.

It sometimes just seems like a majority as they seem to back each other up for the most part, no matter how innocent the original posters intentions may have been.

This is why we really have the same people on this forum and most newbs don't stay around long.

I am posting knowing i have contributed to this issue in the past before i realized the prevailant modus operandi I was parroting and really just stopped posting for the most part.

Last edited by gobytron; 06-09-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

+100
Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I've been surfing the net for 18 yrs now ever since windows 3.1 and the x86 days and and many things have changed especially in tech but one thing has remained constant throughout the years and that is the forums. I've owned forums, been moderator, been involved in controversy and shared in people's lives and their joy and pain.

One of the largest forums I have ever been on has been WoW(world of warcraft) and you wanna see drama, name calling, downright A$$holes, know it alls, people with superiority complex, whiners and anything else under the sun you will find it there. If you post you will be guaranteed to get every response under the sun there.

This actually holds true for every serious forum out there and one thing I have learned throughout the yrs is that many people lurk rather than post for many of the same reasons already posted on this thread. I have developed a thick skin throughout the yrs of people criticizing my posts and thread starters.

I encourage people to always post don't take negativity to heart some people will always have the superiority complex, will be a$$es and in general be idiots. Lurking is fine but you also have to be aware that if you post be prepared for any type of reply don't take it to heart otherwise you will feel like your being persecuted and that only makes you feel worse for posting please don't take it to heart I can't stress that enough.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:05 PM

es355lucille is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to es355lucille

I was looking for a post from someone whom has been here for a while. LOL! CanReef will "always" and forever have controversy. That's what makes us keep coming back! Hey! if we all thought the same way and went in the same direction the fricken leader would jump off the bridge and all of us lemmings would be right behind.

The only common sense thing I can add to any of this is "please be kind to one another".

Hi Myka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It's hostile? Here I thought it was just normal CanReef bickering for the last 9 years...

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51996

Photobucket