Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Sorry, we don't mean to pick on you
Wow, that's a 30g ?
Looks like a 20 tall in the pic

My system is only a 75g and I currently have a 20g QT that I've been using for new fish, but I plan on a larger one soon, before my critters grow. Probably gonna need a 4' 50g or so
I'm only thinking about what you would be faced with if something happened to your DT, and you had to put all your fish in a QT at once ?
I'd think you'd need at least a long 50g to house all your dudes. The bigger the better - 75-100g

If you don't mind an idea, and to keep access to your return pump ...
Have you thought about building a pony stand for a bigger QT ?
Just something with, say, 1 to 2 foot feet or such, right on top of your bench
If I judge your space correctly by your pics, it looks like you have room for at least a 3 footer, if it was high enough to access your return pump

Last edited by gregzz4; 01-03-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I have a couple QT. My display is 90 gallon, the biggest QT is a 40B. The reasoning is sometimes I want to add more than one fish at once. Or, maybe I want to add a pair of Banggai, so I buy a group, and when a pair forms I move it to the display. Or a shoal of Yellow Tail Damsels or Anthias. I also have a 10-gallon QT for small fish (or a pair of Clowns).

I imagine you're going to have a few big fish, like Tangs maybe? They are very active of course. I would want a 48" tank as QT once some bigger fish come along. Before that, a 50-gallon would be a nice size. Fit it in somehow!

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I would want a 48" tank as QT once some bigger fish come along. Before that, a 50-gallon would be a nice size. Fit it in somehow!
This is my long-term thinking
Where are you going to put all your fish if you need to remove them from your DT ?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

My QT is a 77 gal...I can QT fish for you. I have a gorgeous Fowleri Tang for you as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the ideas. After looking back into it, you were right that it's not a 30, but just a 20 tall. I will have to see what I can come up with.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.

Last edited by mseepman; 01-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM

Okguy is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark, Happy New Year. I hear you've been leading a crazy life. I bet your glad it's winding down now. I have a thought about your QT.

What about keeping the 70 and down the road installing a shelf above the water storage tanks and housing it there? I know it's high but you are a tall guy and the number of times a year you will be using that tank will hopefully be minimal. Anyways just a thought. Can't wait to see it again in person!

50g tank 23g DIY Acrylic Sump\Refugium

Sold Dec 2009

Vacation Fun: http://members.shaw.ca/cabin54/
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Gold Member

I was just in the room measuring thing out Kevin. I think above the water storage would be too tough. Keeping it where the current quarantine is might have to be the answer. Going up with that much weight and with the HVAC plumbing that is already there might be too tight to work with.

Ideas are all welcome...I will keep measuring my options versus the space.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM

lockrookie is on a distinguished road

Don't sweat it.. Can you not just put the qt on the opposite wall as sump and use the 20g tall as a sump for it to keep it completely separate from the main system.

50g custom daycare tank...
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65428
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Personally, I don`t like to have a bunch of equipment attached to a QT because it is too hard to disinfect if the need comes along. I prefer to just have a simple tank with lid, dim light, airstone, heater, and a small powerhead. Pretty much what you have in that 20-gallon tank. I think your 70-gallon tank would be too complicated for a QT. Some fish some even need the powerhead and would do best with just the airstone. You definitely don`t want an anorexic fish spending energy swimming against a powerhead. I like to use a couple good-sized pieces of live rock and a few PVC pipes. If there is disease outbreak, remove the live rock, and the PVC pipes that the fish is already familiar with will remain in the tank. Just remember, as soon as the tank has no live rock it also has no means of dealing with ammonia so you need to use a detoxifier.

Do you have space as soon as you walk in the room to your right? You could put it on a stand that has shelves in it for storage...2-in-1 oh yeah!

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

When you walk in, you are along the right side. On that side are the electrical sub-panels for the room itself and the generator auto transfer switch. I was hoping to have a counter built there for me to work at. Got to have somewhere to do testing, mix chemicals and play with the electronics on the tank. I do have an old 33g Hagen tank cycling rock right now. It's 3' long. Again, this won't fit where the current quarantine tank is unless I block the return pump.
The 70 is self contained. It's not reef ready so my current overflow is "over the side" I just thinks it's too big for that room, unless I want to work at a TV tray.