Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be doing some major chopping and pruning soon. What's the standard procedure for selling frags? Let them heal on the plug first, or sell as fresh cuts?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Well, I have been so busy since half way through the summer there's a few moments I have wished I didn't have a giant baby built in to the wall of my house that needs attention whether I have time to give it or not. Thankfully, the tank is mature enough that things inside it happen in slow motion and it largely runs itself, but I'll be honest the only reason my fish have been getting fed every (well, most) days is that I live with 3 other people who can pick up the slack for me when I'm gone for 17 hours a day.

Moral of the story, grad school sucks sometimes.

The tank has been chugging along however. The only real issue I've been dealing with is a slow and creeping eutrophication. It started many months ago with a persistent but low grade dino bloom, and since august has developed in to a creeping cyano issue. I'm pretty sure I know the reason, which is four fold:

1. I've gone from changing the GFO from once every 2 weeks to once every 6
2. I've gone from doing 50 gallon water changes once every week to once every 6 weeks
3. I've got too many fish that have all grown up so I have to feed a tremendous amount each day. My longhorn cowfish can eat half a clam and 3 full cubes of frozen food a day with room left over for pellets and whatever he finds in the sand if I let him. And he still follows me around the dining room all day begging for more.
4. I'm pretty sure my sand is becoming a nutrient sink/source. The cyano problems are worst on the sand and worst around the base of rocks and in the corners where water is either drawn via the vortechs, or eddies form at the rock sand interface.

A few days ago I spent 2 whole days working on it, removed the top layers of sand where the cyano was the worst, then did a major flush of the sand in two corners (I didn't want to do it in the whole tank at once). The amount of garbage that came out of it was staggering, and in the places where I did it the cyano has not grown back, whereas the last time I vacuumed the top layer it was back in less than 12 hours. When the water cleared my skimmer cup was half full with grey/white snot. I'm going to do that to the rest of the sand over the course of a week or two when I get home from the trip I'm on right now. It might not be as good as vacuuming the sand, but it's much faster, it removes fewer macro organisms that I want to keep, doesn't require me to remove any water (I do water changes in the sump), and by using a large turkey baster to fluidize it I can agitate more sand faster than I think i could with a sand vacuum.

Anyway, enough talk. Time for a picture dump. My phone was cooperating with me the other day and the white balance seemed to be as good as it's ever been. The sensor still blows out on the blues, so it's still not true to eye, but these are the best I've caught in a while.

Dining room side:

The tall green guy has grown straight up directly in to toe flow of an MP60 and it's starting to mess up it's growth pattern. I'm going to have to chop it completely down soon.

That hydnophora has been busy digesting everything around it. Two out of three of it's neighbouring montiporas (including the ugly brown one) hitchhiked in to my tank on the rock though so I'm not really that sad about it. It did digest half of a birdnest frag on the other side of it though, which upset me greatly, but the frag got big enough for an acropora/stylophora crab to move in to it a few months ago and the hydnophora seems to have stopped attacking it. I think the crab must clip any mesenterial filaments that land on it.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 PM

Office side:

The flow in the tank has been causing some other growth pattern issues. Namely, the fact that the vortech's are stuck in those awful corners, there's a really strong uni-directional back draft around the edges of overflow boxes. Also, on this side the outlet from my return pipes seems to hit right at the overflow box then go straight down. It's combining to make that stag horn grow all weird, it even had a branch grow straight down. If anyone has any suggestions for how to remedy this I'm all ears. Are there better return pipe nozzles that aren't so uni-directional? I recently got a WXM module for my Apex, so I've been considering have half my vortech's shut off periodically throughout the day. What does everyone think?

Love this fish. My roommate named him 'Nightrider'

Look at the growth pattern! Grrrrrr.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 PM

And finally, some of my favourite fish:

Seriously how cool is this guy?

These guys seem to be buddies. They sleep together, and spend most of the day together

Hey! Hey! Hey! Food? Do you have food? Are you going to feed me? When will you feed me? Is it time for feeding time?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Skimmer Juice is on a distinguished road

wow nice tank, finally someone with a Cowfish love those fish had one for about 6 years , I'm on the lookout for a nice little one to raise again .
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

looks incredible and growing in quite nicely too!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
I'm going to be doing some major chopping and pruning soon. What's the standard procedure for selling frags? Let them heal on the plug first, or sell as fresh cuts?
Giving me some seems to make sense

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:34 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I call shenanigans ! Didn't nobody tell you that you can't have this nice a tank with LEDs?? Clearly you missed that memo.

Also, looking sweet Adam!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Awesome tank. I love that cowfish. I wanna get me one now.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 PM

Trocar70 is on a distinguished road

So that cowfish does not hurt your corals? just curious cause i'm liking that fish obviously he doesn't