Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

My canary wrasse goes to bed around 7:30- 8:00 too. No idea what he's cueing on for time because there are no light changes around then. Internal chronometer alone I guess.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:48 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

I came home today at 5pm and I asked my wife whether she saw the Hawaiian flame wrasse and she said "I don't know" then I proceeded to look all around the floor and in my stand to see if she jumped. I ended up finding my Solarensis wrasse that "disappeared" quite a few months ago all dried up. I was quite frantic at this point and fed some "frozen goodness". Out she comes from under the sand and has supper and swims around for about an hour and then heads "back to bed". Is this normal for wrasses to be lazy?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I came home today at 5pm and I asked my wife whether she saw the Hawaiian flame wrasse and she said "I don't know" then I proceeded to look all around the floor and in my stand to see if she jumped. I ended up finding my Solarensis wrasse that "disappeared" quite a few months ago all dried up. I was quite frantic at this point and fed some "frozen goodness". Out she comes from under the sand and has supper and swims around for about an hour and then heads "back to bed". Is this normal for wrasses to be lazy?
I think that if they don't have a chick to show off for then yes, they're lazy. Get him a girlfriend. I'm thinking about it for my melanurus. I'm not sure if I would have to increase the sandbed size or just add another one

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:54 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Your Orange Shoulder is GORGEOUS! Can't wait til mine looks like that...sorry, I much prefer the adult coloration. LOVE the Powder Blue too...would really really like to add one at some point...but....we'll see! Tank is looking absolutely spectacular Christy!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaloupa View Post
Your Orange Shoulder is GORGEOUS! Can't wait til mine looks like that...sorry, I much prefer the adult coloration. LOVE the Powder Blue too...would really really like to add one at some point...but....we'll see! Tank is looking absolutely spectacular Christy!!!!!!

Thanks Sarah. My Orange shoulder still has a bit of the yellowy tinge to it, can't wait till it gets the two tone grey. He looks jaundice-y at this point and it bugs me sometimes

PBT is a MUST for el giganto tank!!!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
I think that if they don't have a chick to show off for then yes, they're lazy. Get him a girlfriend. I'm thinking about it for my melanurus. I'm not sure if I would have to increase the sandbed size or just add another one
Have you seen the price tag for a Hawaiian flame wrasse and I wouldn't have a clue how to sex them. I have only seen them at the store once in my life....they aren't a common fish.

Argh... BTW - love your melanurus' bed. It's like a little sand box that you buy for a little kid
Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Have you seen the price tag for a Hawaiian flame wrasse and I wouldn't have a clue how to sex them. I have only seen them at the store once in my life....they aren't a common fish.

Argh... BTW - love your melanurus' bed. It's like a little sand box that you buy for a little kid
Oh, I had no idea. Lucky melanurus wrasses are like birds. The guys are flamboyantly colored, the chicks have way more faded colors, like they've been left out in the sun too long.

Yeah that sandbox was the best I could do with not having a sandbed (and having no interest in installing one). I'm glad it worked, took him a few days to find it but the change in his personality was immediate. It was like watching a frenetic insomniac finally get some sleep and return to a normal state (that being crusing around the tank eating anything that dares to stick its appendage out of the rock and sleeping late/going to bed early).

My 180 Build

Old 06-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Looking good Christy. Beautiful PB tang. Mr. Regal had not problems with him?

Love the sandbox. Great idea. I used it once when moving tanks or something for my leopards.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Looking good Christy. Beautiful PB tang. Mr. Regal had not problems with him?

Love the sandbox. Great idea. I used it once when moving tanks or something for my leopards.
The only thing the regal really cares about is eating every bit of food at feeding time, he doesn't really pay much attention to who I add to the tank for the most part, gives them a once over upon introduction, then is off and running.

My 180 Build

Old 06-13-2010, 03:37 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

The fish are looking good and I love the home made/make shift sand bed for the wrasse. I wonder if something like that would be good for my elegance coral. Right now it's on a BB, seems to be ok but I wonder if it would open up even more if it was on a sand bed.