Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Keeling View Post
If I use ice cube trays how do I stop freezer burn?
I freeze my stuff in trays then pop them out and QUICKLY store them in pyrex container in the freezer. I say quickly because if you take too long and they start to get the sweats they'll stick together once you have them back in the freezer.

To avoid freezer burn get a good quality sealing container, and remove as much excess air from the container as you can. And use your stuff up in a timely manner. Fish food gets a bit freezer burnt around the 7-8 month mark I've found from regular opening/closing of the container.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

I have been using eggcrate for years and I believe it is the best method available. I use a food processor to cut up a variety of frozen foods, mix it together in a large boil and then let it thaw for about 20 minutes. Once it is nice and soft i use a large flat spatula to press it into the eggcrate, of course i forgot to mention this is done on a piece of parchment paper large enough to fold over onto the top of the eggcrate. Once the crate is full, fold over parchment paper, trim the edges, then insert into large freezer bag. Simple as that.

I have found this to be the most consistent method to feed my tank. I have done it before as frozen flat in a ziplock but the chunks i was breaking off where never the same amount of food so many times i found i was over feeding.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 PM

I forgot to mention that this tray usually lasts 2 months. I have buddys here on canreef that buy these from me every time i make a new batch.

Frags for sale
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 04-20-2013, 06:30 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply and pics Rob
It's actually because of you that I was going to try the eggcrate method
I'm sure it's not so difficult with wax paper and such

I've order the mini silicone trays that Mindy linked and will report back how they work out
I've read online that some peeps using them for ice complain of the 'plastic taste' in them, so it's got me wondering what they will transfer to the fish food ...
Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM

Hope you can use the info to your benefit.

Cheers

Robert