Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Freezer tray ideas for home-made food ? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96879)

gregzz4 04-17-2013 02:34 AM

Freezer tray ideas for home-made food ?

I'm looking to freeze my home-made food in cubes - small like the tinfoil-pushout cubes of frozen food we buy
I don't have enough fish right now to use larger units

I can't find an icecube tray with small enough units

I've heard of some peeps using eggcrate and I'll try that if need be

What other ideas are out there ?

Thanks for any input :smile:

Trevor Keeling 04-17-2013 02:37 AM

I use ziplock bag roll flat and freeze then break off piece as needed

gregzz4 04-17-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Keeling (Post 812261)

I've done this before with a flat of mysis
Not a bad way, but I'm looking to have more uniform sizes so I can control daily rations

Trevor Keeling 04-17-2013 02:50 AM

Medical place like shoppers has pill packs?.. They are small and have push through design

BlueTang<3 04-17-2013 02:51 AM

The mini fridge/bar fridge i just bought has super small ice cube trays

Trevor Keeling 04-17-2013 02:52 AM

Bed bath and beyond has small ice cube trays

michika 04-17-2013 02:52 AM

Options;
1) Ikea silicone ice cube trays
2) Silicone chocolate or candy moulds (ebay works)
3) PM Hobbycraft, Micheal's etc. also carry small moulds for things like trees and trains for model building. Sometimes you can find flexible containers to make rows upon rows of items.

I've used all of the above successfully for at least 5 years and counting. I currently use a whole pile of silicone chocolate trays I bought from ebay. They were like $5-6 each and make a variety of small shapes. I have ones that hold about a teaspoon all the way up to ones that hold a couple of tablespoons. Like this.

For a couple of years my fish ate their frozen food in the shapes of stars and hearts.

Good luck!

Madreefer 04-17-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Keeling (Post 812261)

This works awesome Greg. But I peeled off the ziploc and just cut in cubes and put in a container. Had a buddy that used eggcrate and got so frustrated he ended up throwing it all out in a rage.

Myka 04-17-2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michika (Post 812269)
For a couple of years my fish ate their frozen food in the shapes of stars and hearts.

That's awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madreefer (Post 812271)
Had a buddy that used eggcrate and got so frustrated he ended up throwing it all out in a rage.

I tried eggcrate once too, and the same ending. The trouble is that eggcrate isn't smooth through the hole so the food snags up in it.

I just roll mine flat in ziplocks and break off a couple days' worth at a time. I put that square into the fridge in a cup, and I use a steel baby spoon (without rubber on it) to scoop bite-sized pieces. While scooping little pieces the food sticks to the spoon and when I have enough I swirl the spoon in the tank near a powerhead.

Dearth 04-17-2013 03:43 AM

Have you tried Lego blocks? I tried it once during my fresh water days it seemed to work well I was worried about food sticking but stuck toothpick in the food just as it was going solid and then to get out took the Lego block put it in hot water grabbed the tooth pick and out came the food on a stick some stuck but most popped right out

I got a flat Lego piece attached 2 and 4 slot pieces to the underside and filled the holes with food stuck sticks in and froze.

Only did it once as a trial and never did do it again.