Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: to skim or not to skim
yes i use a skimmer 78 83.87%
no i do not use a skimmer 15 16.13%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I think my skimmer holds 30 gallons of water... 'nuff said!
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera75 View Post
Skimerless & sumpless is all I know. That's how my very first set up ran super successfully for 7 years. I didn't have any experience back then but I did a lot of research and didn't rush it. By the way, 7 years is long term and a lot longer than most people keep their systems going.

Most people are not patient enough and they end up dumping a ton of corals and fish right away and that's just a recipe for disaster. The way I run my system is not for everyone. I care a lot about my fish and corals and I am always on top of everything making sure I provide the best environment for my livestock. At this point I know what works and what does not work for my system.

Would I suggest this method to a newbie? If this person is going to be diligent and a responsible reefer then I would say sure, why not.

Finally,I want to state that I am not saying that skimmers don't work or that skimmerless and sumpless is better. There are many ways to skin a cat and skimmerless & sumpless is what works best for me>

i agree completely, simple is an easy recipe for a sucessfull tank ,people focus too much on the small things and things they dont under stand, this hobby has alot of " miricles" that people buy into very quickly....people need to sit back and enjoy the ride....not fill the car beyond capacity and scrape down the road:P
Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 AM

tt101 is on a distinguished road

i really like all the varying views on skimming...i also like how everyone kept it peaceful and we respect each others opinions...i was worried it would turn into a huge battle of opinions but im glad it went smoothly as planned. i think my plan is to go skimmerless for the first while, while my tank population builds up and then add a skimmer half way between being fully stocked.....i don't see it being necassary to add a skimmer when i have 2 cardinals and a 2 clowns with some CUC members but when i add more i'll deffinitely add a skimmer. i deffinitely have the funds to buy a skimer but its kindof like why mess with something thats not broken lol
thanks everyone
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

IMO Skim and overskimm, it is much easier to add food nutrients to water then to take it out.
The trick is to keep lighting to your corals at required level not more , meaning if you only have some LPS don't have too much light or you will have algae problem. If you want high light demanding SPS then you need more light and cleaner water or you will have hair algae (no one is different), skimmer is one of the easiest ways to keep water clean, ORP high and water oxygenated.
I have never seen a skimmerless good looking tank full of SPS with good colors in person i have only heard about it .
But if you decide to go without the skimmer let us know in a year how is it going.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 PM

tt101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
IMO Skim and overskimm, it is much easier to add food nutrients to water then to take it out.
The trick is to keep lighting to your corals at required level not more , meaning if you only have some LPS don't have too much light or you will have algae problem. If you want high light demanding SPS then you need more light and cleaner water or you will have hair algae (no one is different), skimmer is one of the easiest ways to keep water clean, ORP high and water oxygenated.
I have never seen a skimmerless good looking tank full of SPS with good colors in person i have only heard about it .
But if you decide to go without the skimmer let us know in a year how is it going.
i totally agree with you, im just going to go skimerless when i have a really low stocking level and when i add more stock i'll put a skimmer in.
thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

skim
Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

I voted no, since right now I do not have a skimmer.

But I think they have a huge effect on your tanks well being. I would rather have the brown sludge out of my tank then in. Plus skimming super wet for water changes was really effective on my old tank.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:49 PM

beefORchicken is on a distinguished road

used to use a skimmer and it did pull out alot, but after the tank aged skimmate production went way down and hang on back skimmers are a pain (overflowing onto floor). FWIW I have a mixed reef running nearly undetectable NO3 with monthly WCs.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-fish View Post
i run one on the 175g and 34g but nothing on the 29g.
You are in a unique position to compare skimmerless and skimmer. Can you describe briefly if any the water differences, inhabitant health etc. of each?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:51 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I like my fish fat. I feed them well. I can't imagine what my tank would look like without skimming.