Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-17-2010, 02:35 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwkreefer View Post
I hate it when I make a deal to purchase some corals or frags from a seller and then they decide to sell them to someone else irregardless of the fact that the seller and myself had already made a verbal purchase agreement which includes specific coral(s), price and arrangements for pick up including the day for pick up.
People that don't show up after PM and phone calls made to arrange times (and this has even been when giving away stuff). After a few times of sitting around and waiting, it's now first come first served unless I know the person.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
Funny thing is we use "gallons" and "inches" still commonly in the aquarium world.

Ken
Very true, but with respect to gallons, we tend to use "US" gallons, rather than "Imperial" gallons, arrrr. So isn't it about time we booted the "Queen" off our money?? Monarchists, I look forward to your emails.....
Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Clownfish are not nemo fish!
Regal tangs are not dory fish.
My pet peeve.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM

SmallFry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
I'm annoyed that the spell checkers on Firefox/and my computer don't give the option for Canadian english such as colour as opposed to color.
Oh I hear you - drives me absolutely nuts. I'm British, so my spelling is more like the Canadian spelling. I apparently still say "tomato" wrong though

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
Funny thing is we use "gallons" and "inches" still commonly in the aquarium world.
Once you strip away the political stuff, people will generally use the most convenient unit for the task - feet, inches and gallons naturally fit for the scale of the average aquarium so measurements in feet and inches make more sense than in say, millimetres or a decimal value in metres.

In temperature there's not such a difference, so you see Celcsius and Fahrenheit being used depending on what people are more used to.

When confusion arises, I find Google is very handy for converting units, you just type in what you have and what unit you want it in.

e.g. "25C in kelvin" or "25C in F"
Old 04-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Converting degrees C to Kelvins is easy, just add 273 to the value! (Or 273.149 if you really need to be accurate! Haha).

Degrees F is actually slightly more accurate per degree increase than celcius. For every degree change in F, it is only 5/9 of a degree change in celcius. Although the C scale is more chemically coordinated and makes more sense, the F scale is slightly more accurate by the degree (assuming the thermometer determining each change in degrees is accurate). Im not advocating the use of F, but I dont think its terrible. I use both anyways, but for the majority of calculation purposes I use C.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
People that don't show up after PM and phone calls made to arrange times (and this has even been when giving away stuff). After a few times of sitting around and waiting, it's now first come first served unless I know the person.
I had arranged 2 weeks in a row for someone to pick up a superman digitata that I was holding for them and it has been no show twice now. Very frustrating indeed....argh!!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:03 PM

NU-2reef is on a distinguished road

mine has to be reading/hearing people whine about what they don't like.... oh wait did i just do that
Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaundry View Post
No real pet peeves, oh wait, crappy polititians, lousy drivers, ignorant people, the price of gas and oil, my teams not winning the championship, people who nag too much, tax's, lousy neighbours, lousy employee's, lousy customers, lousy delivery people, rude food servers, pushy salespeople, telemarketers, hospital food, lousy weather, people that have too many pet peeves..........
Ahah
Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFry View Post
In temperature there's not such a difference, so you see Celcsius and Fahrenheit being used depending on what people are more used to.

What I find interesting is that most, if not all, of us (Canadians) use Celsius for measuring air temperature (all the Canadian weather forecasts/conditions use Celsius) but many Canadian aquarists find it easier or preferable to use F for measuring water temperature.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Pumps that don't start up again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!