Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-20-2010, 09:26 PM
bvlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
check these guys out

http://www.smokinlicious.ca/index.php?CW

Steve
Nice site but there kits are not available I think it is the wrong time of the year. If you have fruit trees in your yard just cut of some limbs, you do have to prune anyways just this way you get a benifit of useing the wood in your smoker. I have some maple wood from a tree I had to get cut down HYdro did it they left burnable sized chuncks. It has been cured for a year and now I have to cut it up into managable sized pieces. I also have apple wood maybe some cherry.

Have fun,
Bill
Old 01-20-2010, 09:35 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
Nice site but there kits are not available I think it is the wrong time of the year. If you have fruit trees in your yard just cut of some limbs, you do have to prune anyways just this way you get a benifit of useing the wood in your smoker. I have some maple wood from a tree I had to get cut down HYdro did it they left burnable sized chuncks. It has been cured for a year and now I have to cut it up into managable sized pieces. I also have apple wood maybe some cherry.

Have fun,
Bill
ahh, wasn't refering to the kits, I ordered the wood chunks, just go to products ect..

I have a person comming on friday to give me a quote on pruning my fruit trees as I have no idea what to do and a couple are going to need some work. so I will see what they do then I will know for next year.. but anything over 4" dia I am going to keep. but this stuff won't be ready till fall so I needed to get some for now. but for people in concrete jungles this site is pretty good for getting some different hardwoods to play with.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
check these guys out

http://www.smokinlicious.ca/index.php?CW

Steve
I'm talkin more like a cord or 1/2 cord.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binare View Post
I'm talkin more like a cord or 1/2 cord.
ahh.. ya shipping for that would be a killer. I got 1/2 cuft of chunks for 24 bucks including shipping. probably enough to do 10 smokes/box there so I figured it wasn't to bad, and I got 3 boxes of different wood so I can play and see what I like.

you guys could just go out in the bush and get some paper birch. its pretty good for smokin.

heres a thing I found on different woods.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning woods.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs,

WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

Other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

Types of wood that is unsuitable or even poisonous when used for grilling. Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as PINE, FIR, SPRUCE, REDWOOD, CEDAR, CYPRESS, etc.

There are many trees and shrubs in this world that contain chemicals toxic to humans--toxins that can even survive the burning process. Remember, you are going to eat the meat that you grill and the smoke particles and chemicals from the wood and what may be on or in the wood are going to get on and in the meat. Use only wood for grilling that you are sure of.
If you have some wood and do not know what it is, DO NOT USE IT FOR GRILLING FOOD. Burn it in your fireplace but not your smoker.

Also ELM and EUCALYPTUS wood is unsuitable for smoking, as is the wood from SASSAFRAS, SYCAMORE and LIQUID AMBER trees.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Meat that is

I got a smoker for christmas and it is turning out to be a new obsession. I have't even fired it up yet and I am already modding it

I made 8 cups of jack danials BBQ sauce and canned it so I would be ready. Iam going to do a test burn this week to see if I can regulate the temp to 225 degrees for about 5 hours then this weekend I am going to do about 6 racks of pork ribs.

Steve
so when do i come over?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase31 View Post
so when do i come over?
I have to figure out how to run it first, could take about 40 racks of ribs, 5 pork buts, couple briskets, and a few rounds of sausage and bacon for me to figure that out

Steve

Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 PM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have to figure out how to run it first, could take about 40 racks of ribs, 5 pork buts, couple briskets, and a few rounds of sausage and bacon for me to figure that out

Steve
well all that food needs to go some ware, call me your garbarator!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

When I worked on fish farms, I used to do a lot of smoking.
Always hot smoke, never tried doing cold smoking.

I would brine my fish for 36 hours, as opposed to 8h like most.

I smoked various species of salmon, black cod, buffalo jerky, & beef jerky.

If you haven't tried smoked black cod, you gotta. I also found buffalo jerky waaaay tastier than beef jerky.

Anthony
Old 01-21-2010, 12:00 AM

Ya Dude is on a distinguished road

Dude I cant believe you started a smokin thread!!!I built this one 2 years ago and use all the time.Barbeque'n just aint the same anymore

next Im going to build a covered area with prep station and beer fridge(rib shack)kinda rickety Texas style with dinner bell,the triangle type
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

I have been smokin meats for about 10 years now, only have a bradley at this point but once the house is built on the new acerage a good size smoker is a priority....after the much larger tank that is..