Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-21-2010, 01:15 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

When I used to smoke a lot I would drive around town on the weekends in the early spring and watch for people pruning their trees. You'd be surprised how much wood you can get on one nice weekend. Filled my truck up two or three times a day with all kinds of fruit woods and various hard woods.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:39 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya Dude View Post
Dude I cant believe you started a smokin thread!!!I built this one 2 years ago and use all the time.Barbeque'n just aint the same anymore

next Im going to build a covered area with prep station and beer fridge(rib shack)kinda rickety Texas style with dinner bell,the triangle type

thats a pretty nice build, I am trying to design mine now, going to have simular to what you have except maybe a tiny bit longer (not much) in a reverse flow but the exhaust is going to enter a verticle chamber above the fire box and I am trying to figure out a way to either take the heat from the fire box through the horazontle and then into the verticle so I can cold smoke, or a bypass system to go strait to the verticle so I can hot smoke in it to.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 AM
bvlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
ahh, wasn't refering to the kits, I ordered the wood chunks, just go to products ect..

I have a person comming on friday to give me a quote on pruning my fruit trees as I have no idea what to do and a couple are going to need some work. so I will see what they do then I will know for next year.. but anything over 4" dia I am going to keep. but this stuff won't be ready till fall so I needed to get some for now. but for people in concrete jungles this site is pretty good for getting some different hardwoods to play with.

Steve
LOL I kind of figured you were talking about the wood chunks and stuff but I had to put it out there because of the previous comment. My parents use to use an old all steel refrigerator with a small hole in the top corner and a hibachi in the bottom. They could do up about 90 pounds of fish at a time. Manitoba gold eye is my favorite fish, salmon and trout are a close second and third. As for meet bacon deer jerky is great if you have the right recipe for deer sausage they are also yummy. you can do alsorts of very yummy stuff in a smoker. Hams are nothing like you get in the stores I have seen people even do eggs, not my choice.

Bill
Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 AM
bvlester

How about this: open the attachment on the pipe going to the second smoker box you need a damper this will controle the temp. The further you are away from the burn box the cooler the smoke will be. A damper will keep more heat in the first smoker box. Its kind of like putting a bend in a heating duct for every bend you add 5 feet of pipe a damper gives you 2 bends in away.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker.JPG (11.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by bvlester; 01-21-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:16 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I'm into smoking, just not meat... my smokables are more green in color .
Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
How about this: open the attachment on the pipe going to the second smoker box you need a damper this will controle the temp. The further you are away from the burn box the cooler the smoke will be. A damper will keep more heat in the first smoker box. Its kind of like putting a bend in a heating duct for every bend you add 5 feet of pipe a damper gives you 2 bends in away.

Bill
this is a quick sketch of what I am thinking, there will be a damper at "A" and "B " and possibly another stack at "B" if I decide it would be better to have one there.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 01-21-2010, 07:09 AM
bvlester

If you have a hot pipe to c then it will not be a cold smoker it will again be a hot smoker. What I was thinking is you can have a hot smoker and a cold smoker in one. To achieve a cold smoker you can not have direct heat . So if you removed the pipe from a to c then you would have a cold smoker, the further away from the originating heat the better..
Bill
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
how big is the pulled pork your doing? everyone that does it from what I have read is looking at 12 to 15 hour smoke times..
Steve
I buy a small pork shoulder from a farmers market. The lowest I can get my barbecue down to is 250. If I could get it down to 200 I would cook it longer.
I'm a little wary of barbecuing too much (as in getting a full-on smoker) because I'm told that it can really attract bears around my area.

Mitch
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

When's the BBQ? Me and my new bike will be sure to show up.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
If you have a hot pipe to c then it will not be a cold smoker it will again be a hot smoker. What I was thinking is you can have a hot smoker and a cold smoker in one. To achieve a cold smoker you can not have direct heat . So if you removed the pipe from a to c then you would have a cold smoker, the further away from the originating heat the better..
Bill
the hot pipe going up will have a damper in it to shut it off, in the picture it looks like it is short and goes strait up but I will come off the back of the burn box and loop up so I could have two dampers if I wanted and a little longer of a pipe. I am also looking at insulating the bottom of the verticle chamber. for cold smokin I would configure it so it goes through the side into the main body, goes to the end, then back over the top into the other section. I still need to be able to get up to 225 in the verticle section for when I do sausages, but I also need to be able to get down to 90 degrees also for doing cheese and other cold smoked stuff.

Steve