Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-16-2003, 03:57 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Emily sadly I can't say I would do the same thing all the time. Perhaps I would, but honestly, I don't ask where the fish came from, I don't ask if they were caught with cyanide, I look at the fish, and have them held for a week... .and now they go into isolation for two weeks min. Oh and of course I don't look at my fish as being disposible, I don't purchase a fish if I don't want keep it for years. I don't believe in getting a fish now and buying a bigger tank for it when it out grows the one I have. I aim to create a comfortable habitat for them but one that is pleasing to me as well.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:26 AM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

Sad sad sad...is this what this is all about...where can I buy the cheapest fish. Sad sad sad!!!
Old 03-16-2003, 04:27 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyB
It is my understanding that purple firefish have a horrible survival rate. :?
Hey Em, where'd you hear that? In my experience they're one of the hardiest fish out there. I'm considering purchasing one at some point, they're one of my favourite fish.

lusus naturae
Old 03-16-2003, 04:29 AM

I have to agree with Emily, thats what I have heard also, but, I've not tried to keep the purples, just the regulars, everyone told me they would fight, AFTER I got two of them, they didn't fight at all.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:40 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

BC Orchid
Cyanide kills most of the fish and those that do live cause death and disease in the tanks of the wholesaler, LFS and most importantly in our tanks.
But when they squirt the cyanide in the coral reef head it also kills all the coral, inverts and all critters living there.
It is simply not a dollar issue period.
The fact is that net caught fish because of their low DOA and their good health are cheaper for the wholesalers and LFS even though they cost pennies more for the wholesaler and LFS to buy.
All we reefers have to do is ask each time we consider buying a fish and the LFS will get the message.

LFS can get net caught fish from three wholesalers in Vancouver. There is no excuse.
What about saltwater connection? What are they selling? Anyone know?

[/url]
Old 03-16-2003, 04:44 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

BCOD, you may've been lucky enough to have a male/female pair. It seems some have the luck but the majority of people don't. I've never heard that they don't do well, I know all about the fighting but not the other.

It saddens me every time I see a fish that has little chance of survival in captivity and saddens me every time I see a coral with little chance of survival. The one thing we can do as hobbyists, is to insist on captive bred species where ever possible, net caught fish and that impossible to keep species are left in the ocean.

Yes, we'll have to pay more. What's a clear conscience worth?

lusus naturae
Old 03-16-2003, 05:24 AM

I think it is difficult to tell, like I say, one place says we don't buy cyanide caught fish.. but they get their shipments on the same day and close to the same time as the other place... is that strange? As far as the fire fish, maybe I was lucky they were real show stoppers.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:31 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

i am really getting myself in trouble. i have a feeling i'm going to have to go into hiding by the end of the week if i keep peeving people off on here. :?

but yes deb, des's store. the store had about seven or eight of them. but what store doesn't carry risky species. big al's has sea fans and wei's has moorish idols, what's to be done? at least AI quarantines.

i guess it's business... gotta make money somehow... about the only thing that can be done is an effort on the part of pet-keepers is to share information on which species do well in captivity and which don't.

naesco, as far as i know, jayson doesn't carry any fish. and haven't noticed any taboo corals...

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-16-2003, 05:56 AM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

BCOG,
regarding the firefish...
how long have you had them for?
Old 03-16-2003, 06:30 AM

Couple months smokinreefer.. they never left each others side that I saw