Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-16-2007, 02:50 AM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Good Luck
Old 06-16-2007, 03:21 AM

geobee is on a distinguished road

we all have our opinions on politics, religion, and reefkeeping,,,when i come to canreef i'm here to hear & share opinions about REEFKEEPING!
Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
.... but there seems to be an unusual amount of threads on war and peoples opinion on it. ....
IMO, best place for those "discussions" to have any chance....any chance of doing any good is in front of the Parliament Buildings. Just need more than one person. Alot more. Helps if it's not raining, too. JMO.

Cheers,
Old 06-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk View Post
I don't see what the big deal is, it's pretty easy to ignore threads if you are offended or not interested. I think threads in the lounge should have a wide latitude for open, civil debate. It is interesting that many of the heated threads that some call for a lock are also the most viewed threads. When boards start to get trigger happy on locking threads the whole tone of the board changes. Fewer threads get started, fewer posters with anything meaningful to say participate, an overall "my way or the highway" attitude emerges. You'll be left with a small online clique who'll treat the board as their personal chat site. I've seen it happen on another board I use to frequent. Notice more eastern members checking out Canreef lately? I always find it amusing when people want to be protected from reading, looking, buying, clicking/scrolling through something they feel is inappropriate in some way. As if they are being forced to engage the material. Maybe Canreef needs a lounge sub forum where heated topics can be moved with a "do not enter if easily offended" warning.
Oh boy, I couldn’t have said better my self, thank you hawk !
Just FYI not sure about others but I just got a “friendly” PM from one of the moderators just proving your point.
I guess they can lock me out or even kick out of forum, well so be it..
That what is freedom of speech is all about agree or not it is out there.
If you put your head in the sand the problem will not go away, that is why we talk about it.

Now, from moderators point of view ; why would some one create an aquarium related forum and then it turns in to a hot debate that is totally out of aquarium topic?
I understand this can be frustrating. However if there is a Lounge there will be off topic discussions.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:18 AM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

hawk, you have a good point, but isn't joining a forum a PRECURSOR to having a choice whether or not to read political threads, even if they are allowed? The first set of agreement when you join the site would be the most important. Not after you join and then making a stink about how you should get to say and read whatever you want.

When you join an online community, there's a set of rules (whether be it types of discussions or exclusive status) that you need to adhere to. I need to conduct myself in an orderly manner and not use profane language because this is a family site, as I've been told before. I try to respect that decision if I want to stay here and I like it enough to do as I'm told.

I like your liberal and open-minded view that attemps to foster a community where anything could be said anywhere within mature boundaries. The important thing you need to understand is that people don't want to talk about it because it often times brings about animosity amongst people.

Why? No one's intrinsic values are going to be changed by your 2 paragraph blog about why God exists or why gay people shouldn't be married.

I admire your insight towards moderator attitudes in certain cases.

I've been there before - AlbertaAquatica banned me because supposedly saying 'bastards' in an obviously non-threatening way was enough to trigger a mod power trip. It was pathetic of them to do that, but them's the rules.

I never looked back.

If you're going to take one thing from what I just wrote (and I hope you do) - it's that it's not just about you; it's about what OTHER people want to see too.

Last edited by Moogled; 06-16-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:45 AM
Banned

andresont is on a distinguished road

[quote=Doug;256158]
However I seldom post, as I cannot hold my own with many of them and besides, arguing with someone online, is like banging your head on the wall.

QUOTE]

Arguing, trying to change opinion of others is definitely counter productive, nevertheless, some times it is interesting to post a hot topic just to see what kind of opinion majority of people have, that is why I post my “hot” posts…

Also I am sure being informed is well worth it even if we don’t like the news.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:10 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Can we just say, "Everyone, please read the forum rules again" and be done with it?!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-16-2007, 06:32 AM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

May the force be with you, Drew.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:50 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

I don't know that this board is the place for some of the items mentioned but I generally don't notice that stuff going on. If I want to see reef stuff I don't go to the lounge to find it and rarely spend time there at all. I prefer to spend my time on other threads that help me advance in the hobby. The whole lounge forum could disappear and I likely wouldn't notice it gone for months. So I guess what I'm saying is that what happens there doesn't seem to affect me

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 06-16-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Hawk, I never took it as being critical of Canreef, just as my post was more in general of most boards I am on.

Please also remember, I,m stating what the rules and opinions are on most aquarium boards.

Yes Anderson, I like being informed. Thats why I read those theads, on boards where they are allowed.

Let me be clear again. Despite calls for free speach or whatever, I have yet to see an aquarium board, where allowing those topics to turn into heated exchanges, {which they most always do}, contributes anything to the board itself. In fact its the exact opposite.

I would assume thats the reason most boards dont allow it. If there was no problems would they not let it go?