Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-20-2005, 05:21 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Try the hot water method, but use a turkey baster. You don't have to inject the lil' buggers if you scorch the whole thing. Hole or no hole the turkey baster method will mely it because of the higher colume of water.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 05-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks for all the tips guys, the battle begins tommorow.
I will start with another attack of joes juice
then if they come back its to boiling water with a turkey baster
then if all else fail some viniger.

But with the vinager wont it change some of the parameters in my tank?

Back in the good ole days
Old 05-20-2005, 06:06 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Use the Turkey Baster if you wish. Just remember the tenacity of Aiptasia is incredible. I have one particular rock that was treated with the baster. Then many months later I looked , and saw an Aiptasia on that rock. Sometimes you think you have them beat just to have them show up again. . I finally used the boiling water submersion method. On top of that I have isolated the rock in a 15 gallon nano type tank.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 05-20-2005, 06:21 PM

cc_bruno is on a distinguished road

Hey Doug... yeah, just hot water. Mind you, I have my hot water tank set on HOT, so, the water that comes out of there, sure feels like it came out of a kettle. Three shots of 10 mls each, and it doesn't come back, (I don't use a needle, so, I blast it everywhere ). Also, rather than dumping the whole rock in boiling water, why not just pull it out and use a BBQ lighter to burn the little S.O.B.? Would it really come back from that?

Good luck.

Robert
Old 05-20-2005, 07:28 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarolisol
But with the vinager wont it change some of the parameters in my tank?
I didn't have more than a few aptasia at any one time, and didn't use too much - just a few good squirts from the small-tipped syringe. You wouldn't use a turkey baster with vinegar, of course.

I don't like putting too much of anything into the tank. Some good tips here, you should win this battle.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 PM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

Ok so im resurecting an old post, I have tried boiling water, joes juice, peppermint shrimps, and i currently have a copperbanded butterfly. Well its gotten to the point where all i can see is aptasia. Every rock in my tank has at least 10 of them on it. I need a solution. Im willing to take out every rock and dip it(now this is ALOT of rock) but i have no idea what to dip it into. And I cant do it if it will kill the rock. Please Help.

Back in the good ole days
Old 10-18-2005, 11:41 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok so im resurecting an old post, I have tried boiling water, joes juice, peppermint shrimps, and i currently have a copperbanded butterfly. Well its gotten to the point where all i can see is aptasia. Every rock in my tank has at least 10 of them on it. I need a solution. Im willing to take out every rock and dip it(now this is ALOT of rock) but i have no idea what to dip it into. And I cant do it if it will kill the rock. Please Help.
find about 4 pepermint shrimp but the ones with the red tail. and not camel shrimp.. they take a bit to get going but once they do they eat them like crazy.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:40 AM

adidas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to adidas

Quote:
Maybe that big bad hermit i gave u will eat them?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:51 AM

leslr is on a distinguished road

A quick place to pick up a syringe with needle is at the Ink Jet refill places. You can find them in most Malls. They use them for filling the printer ink cartriges. Or find someone who got a refill kit as they have one in them.
As for local (Victoria) I have a bunch if someone needs 1 or 2.
dave.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:13 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It sounds like the situation is totally out of hand Sean. I am sure nutrient control is not going to help. The only solution I see is the boiling water trick with each and every rock. Unfortunately it will kill the rock. However, I see no other cure. Do you have any source for all new rock Base rock even

---------Homer Simpson--------