Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures > FTOTM Entries & Questions

View Poll Results: Should Canreef have a tank of the month?
Yes 105 89.74%
No 12 10.26%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2005, 05:15 PM

Richer is on a distinguished road

I voted no by accident .

I think it'd be a great idea to see tanks that were put together by the average person... who actually have a realistic budget and works 40 hours a week. Like the others have said, I think we all as a whole would learn a whole lot more from each other if we could see a tank that has both great attributes about it, and flaws as well.

-Rich
Old 05-06-2005, 06:36 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
I think we all as a whole would learn a whole lot more from each other if we could see a tank that has both great attributes about it, and flaws as well.
Then we should also have a worst tank of the month? For that matter, how about an annual getto tank award?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 05-06-2005, 07:21 PM

BCWolfen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BCWolfen

I really like the idea of a TOTM, especially the idea that it does not have to be a GREAT tank. People could submit their their tank and whichever is chosen as the TOTM gets 'interviewed' by someone who then does a write up about the tank. This way 2 people are collaborating on the information given. The person who owns the tank may not think about some things that would be of interest to the community. Things which the interviewer might ask.

TOTM doesn't have to mean The Best tank chosen this month, it could just as well be the tank chosen to be focused on this month. Maybe this month its John Doe's tank, which has been running for 6 months and has a really bad algae problem. Lets get the pics up (sure they may not be pretty) and the history/write up from the interview. Now let the community comment/critique(in a positive way) what Mr. Doe can do to improve his setup, help control problems, etc etc. Everyone learns from it this way.

Then next month lets pick a GREAT tank. Show off the pics, write up/history. What are the elements contributing to the success of this tank, etc etc. And again the community can critque, comment, ask questions and again learn from others.

Just my thoughts.......
Home:160Gal. Foxface, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny, Starwberry Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Brittle Star, Brown Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Cleaner Shrimp
Store: 33Gal. Green Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Peppermint Shrimp
Old 05-06-2005, 07:39 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Great idea! A Focus tank of the month. Now we're getting somewhere. So do any of the staff members want to take the initiative?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 05-06-2005, 07:40 PM

Rikko is on a distinguished road

I hate the idea. Think of all the work we're all going to have to put into removing cyano and hair algae and glass scraping!!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
Great idea! A Focus tank of the month. Now we're getting somewhere. So do any of the staff members want to take the initiative?
I was thinking a "Featured Tank of the Month" based on whatever criteria the volunteer committee decides to use. A peer voted/selected tank is the best way to go, I think.
I'm also too busy to take on much more, so I've suggested to the other mods we have members take this on, not staff. Suggestions to that end?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

Hey Brad, I can fully understand the not wanting to take on yet another chore. (and we are thankful for what you do) But, I wonder how a membership run Feature Tank could be managed. Perhaps the addition of a staff member or two who's sole responsabitity is Feature Tank and nothing else. That might keep things running smooth, where a membership based would be hit and miss. JMO and kickin out ideas.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I think Doug has offered some time, so maybe in conjunction with a member? We're looking at options.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:20 PM

Zerandise is on a distinguished road

you can create a new user group for totm members. keep it with the same user title but give them access to a totm forum that is hidden from the public like staff forums are. This way what ever group does it they can do it in peace and harmony.

a simple structure would be all thats needed. one person with some php/html skills and some others that can write and have an artistic eye for design. could be done 100% by members with no problems at all.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:43 PM

BCWolfen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BCWolfen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerandise
you can create a new user group for totm members. keep it with the same user title but give them access to a totm forum that is hidden from the public like staff forums are. This way what ever group does it they can do it in peace and harmony.

a simple structure would be all thats needed. one person with some php/html skills and some others that can write and have an artistic eye for design. could be done 100% by members with no problems at all.
Some good ideas there. A group of 4-5 members with perhaps a Mod who would 'Quality check' the final feature before publication. 1 person with some html/php to do layouts, someone who who like to do the interview (could be premade questions that are emailed, with an MSN follow up) another who would write the article, with help from the interviewer. This way its not all up to one person. The group doing could even change each month (or every few) if other people wanted a chance to participate. Maybe keeping 1 or 2 core people. Volunteers doing the June issue would be chosen early May and the work would progress from there.

Just more thoughts/ideas.
I would be interested in volunteering to help with this project.
Home:160Gal. Foxface, Yellow Tang, Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny, Starwberry Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, 2 Percula Clowns, Green Brittle Star, Brown Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Cleaner Shrimp
Store: 33Gal. Green Brittle Star, Chocolate Chip Star, Peppermint Shrimp