Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Everything on the right half of the tank is dead today including a 10+ year old pocillipora damicornis and my prized cyphastrea decadia and I found my midas blenny dead as well The PBT isn't looking good but the fish are a bit wigged out from the 2h on/2h off photoperiod so I guess we'll see. Ugh this hobby just makes me sick sometimes.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

That sucks
Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 PM
bvlester

Give the 2 hrs on 2 off anouther day or 3 the fish will get use to it I have done this before to control agea bloom that happened when a timmer went bad so now all my timers are mechanical not digital.

Hang in there it will turn around. one thing for sure you probable don't have parisites right now. If you have a UV serilzer I would make sure it is going in the sump it will help combat Ick if it rears it bad head. Also it will kill any bad parisites that are in there so it dose not get to your fish. there ammune system will be down right now fighting the burn. Feed with extra garlic in all meals, this will also help in the recovery.

Bill
Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Everything on the right half of the tank is dead today including a 10+ year old pocillipora damicornis and my prized cyphastrea decadia and I found my midas blenny dead as well The PBT isn't looking good but the fish are a bit wigged out from the 2h on/2h off photoperiod so I guess we'll see. Ugh this hobby just makes me sick sometimes.

Damn that sucks, Christy. So sorry to hear this. Hopefully everything is on the mend now.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvlester View Post
Give the 2 hrs on 2 off anouther day or 3 the fish will get use to it I have done this before to control agea bloom that happened when a timmer went bad so now all my timers are mechanical not digital.

Hang in there it will turn around. one thing for sure you probable don't have parisites right now. If you have a UV serilzer I would make sure it is going in the sump it will help combat Ick if it rears it bad head. Also it will kill any bad parisites that are in there so it dose not get to your fish. there ammune system will be down right now fighting the burn. Feed with extra garlic in all meals, this will also help in the recovery.

Bill
LOL, I think enough UV was injected into the tank as it is and I don't fear an ick outbreak currently, I'm more worried about the skin condition of the fish. We all know what a bad burn does to our own skin, imagine if we spent all our time in the water after getting a bad burn.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
LOL, I think enough UV was injected into the tank as it is and I don't fear an ick outbreak currently, I'm more worried about the skin condition of the fish. We all know what a bad burn does to our own skin, imagine if we spent all our time in the water after getting a bad burn.

One thing fish have over us is the ability to heal wounds incredibly fast; hopefully it works the same for burns.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 PM
bvlester

fish are very resilent critters tougher than we give them credit for. A uv serilizer will kill bad bacteria that may inhibit the healing process also and I did say put it inthe sump maybe the return line would be better that way all the water has to pass through it to get back in to the tank. anyways as I sugested before melifix would aid in the healing process for the skin and scails any ways. It may help sooth the sun burn that theu got I don't know about soothing but it does sound good.

Good luck again and I hope all other s pull through and keep your chin up..

Bill
Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 AM
Staff

The powder blue is dead, I don't anticipate the scopas lasting longer than tomorrow night. The candy hogfish has a missing fin and isn't using that side to steer so he's just sort of hovering and swimming to the right (but he looks "relatively" ok). The raccoon is acting really weird and I wouldn't be surprised if he kicked off in the next couple of days. The regal, who probably caused it all, is swimming around like nothing doing and the gramma is flipping me the bird from his hidey hole.

I think it was just too much UV for the fish to bounce back from, for all I know the bulb could have been broken like that for up to 7 hours (thats how long the lights had been on for). Thats a long time to be in a tanning bed.

My 180 Build

Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 AM
bvlester

sorry to hear the powder blue didn't make it. those hipos are babies every time some thing goes wrong they run and hide and say I didn't doit he did. mean while everyone else is tanning away. This is just a nouther reason why I don't do halides I have heard of this happening before.
I
At least with the itinics onand off for 2 hrs at a time the corals should like it and the coriline algea should also like it as they need the itinic light spectrum to heal and grow.

Good luck, take it one day at a time.

Bill
Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Hi Christy

This hobby is certainly not for the faint of heart. If it is not one thing it is always something else.

I can't help you with the replacement of fish however if there are any coral replacements required, you are welcome to piece of anything I have.

Tom R