Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-20-2009, 03:26 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

So, Dosing with a doser is pretty much set and forget? Once you figure out how much your tank needs, set doser at that and periodically check levels???
I've only been adding Ca/Mg with water changes so far, but am starting to get some SPS so I guess I should be monitoring it more closely? I HATE doing them damn tests tho, so does the wife. Looking for less labour intesive way??

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 11-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
I use the ProfiLux 3 pump doser. I'm only using 2 pumps for CA and Alk. Works really well. Havn't had an issue at all with it.

J
Ditto

This system is the cheapest, easiest and most stable system I have used in all my years of Reef Keeping.

My Cal is steady at 420 and my Alk is steady 8.00.

I also dose Mag however it only requires a single dosing once a week to keep my tanks at 1350.

Tom R

Last edited by Tom R; 11-20-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:28 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Alas you can't get away from doing tests. They suck, but prudence dictates you stay on top of your levels because you don't want to find out on the cusp of a tank crash (or just after) that a param has been drifting off for weeks.

So, testing sucks, but I suggest you do it anyhow at least once a week.

Other than that, yes, dosers and reactors are generally set-and-forget once you've dialed them in to your tanks consumption rates.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I suggest you do it anyhow at least once a week.

Other than that, yes, dosers and reactors are generally set-and-forget once you've dialed them in to your tanks consumption rates.
I still test every 7 to 14 days.

Tom R
Old 11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
Ditto

This system is the cheapest, easiest and most stable system I have used in all my years of Reef Keeping.

My Cal is steady at 420 and my Alk is steady 8.00.

I also dose Mag however it only requires a single dosing once a week to keep my tanks at 1350.

Tom R
ditto ditto.. exact same setup here. 3 pump profilux but only using 2 for alk and calc. Mag done manually once in a blue moon. I think the doser is probably one of my best tank investments I've made. Since dialing it in (Alk 8, Calc 420, Mag 1400), I have not had to touch the doser other than to refill the solution bottles. The stability comes in its ability to dose very little at a time and its precision.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

I have no doubt that it's the one of the more stable and easy to use products but isn't it still .. um... several hundred dollars ?! I don't see how that qualifies as "cheapest" sorry. MY method is just as stable, maybe not as easy to use, and cost me well under $100. I'm not saying you wasted your money, I just find it hard to accept that this is the "cheapest" solution.

TeeHeeHee

Last edited by muck; 11-20-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I have no doubt that it's the one of the more stable and easy to use products but isn't it still .. um... several hundred dollars ?! I don't see how that qualifies as "cheapest" sorry. MY method is just as stable, maybe not as easy to use, and cost me well under $100. I'm not saying you wasted your money, I just find it hard to accept that this is the "cheapest" solution.
I just picked up a few aqualifters the other day to do something similar to what your doing. I had planned on using a few 1/4" john guest valves to control the drip rate but maybe I will look into the needle valve. Do you think its much different?

So far its cost a fraction of what I paid for a dosing pump earlier this year...which I sold before ever using.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:18 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I not sure if Tom meant the Profilux was the cheapest. But the dosing method is the cheapest in comparison to the equipment required when using a CA reactor

J
Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
I not sure if Tom meant the Profilux was the cheapest. But the dosing method is the cheapest in comparison to the equipment required when using a CA reactor

J
Yes he said it was the cheapest HE has used.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Ohhh. Ok, that makes sense then. Yes, far less investment heavy than a calcium reactor. And a calcium reactor is a whole new definition of fussy (at least when first dialing in and making steady-state).

PS. When I reread my post now it comes across a bit harsh .. wasn't meant to be and if anyone else feels it's harsh besides me then please accept my apologies. Posted in haste without adequate smileys to convey the appropriate silliness in my voice that would have been there had I been speaking the words not typing them.