Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   For those not using a dosing pump, but otherwise automated dosing thingamajig... (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58063)

Myka 11-19-2009 02:52 AM

For those not using a dosing pump, but otherwise automated dosing thingamajig...

...what are you using? I'm trying to figure out the best option for a low-cost dosing automation. This will be a temporary fix until I can fork out the cash for dosing pumps. My calcium and alkalinity are fluctuating too much.

I've seen everything from Aqualifters to air pumps...whatcha got? :razz:

Maybe "low-cost" automation is too risky. I might just start mixing up my own 2-part (using reef products, not "raw" chemicals) if I can't figure out a decent wannabe dosing thingamajig.

Just trying to get some ideas to go on.

simplycoral 11-19-2009 03:30 AM

I went for the Aqua-lifter option on my 90g connected to a digital timer from Canadian Tire. I have been lifting the liquid from the container and dosing it through a gate valve over the tank :smile:

Not sure if it's the most reliable method :neutral: but it saved me the chore each day! until the timer failed...

I have ordered the twin doser for the new tank :Banane06:

S.

Delphinus 11-19-2009 03:30 AM

I run 4 aqualifter pumps so I can dose Ca & Alk into two separate tanks. Two timers set to run for 1 minute intervals on 1.5 hour intervals. Each dripline ends with an irrigation needle valve for drip control. Think I spent $15 each for the aqualifters. Everything else I already had.

The driprate is way more steady than I ever thought it would be. It's working out well, in fact, I pretty much have the needlewheel valves open all the way. I haven't tested yet this week to see where my Ca is at but I was debating switching the 1 minute durations to 2 minutes.

globaldesigns 11-19-2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 465448)
I run 4 aqualifter pumps so I can dose Ca & Alk into two separate tanks. Two timers set to run for 1 minute intervals on 1.5 hour intervals. Each dripline ends with an irrigation needle valve for drip control. Think I spent $15 each for the aqualifters. Everything else I already had.

The driprate is way more steady than I ever thought it would be. It's working out well, in fact, I pretty much have the needlewheel valves open all the way. I haven't tested yet this week to see where my Ca is at but I was debating switching the 1 minute durations to 2 minutes.

Hey, would you ever allow someone like myself to come see the setup. I too have been thinking about this, but am too scared to screw things up. Would love someone to show me the ropes.

Delphinus 11-19-2009 03:39 AM

Sure, there's not much to it, but you're totally welcome to check it out. Please promise not to laugh at the state of my basement. :redface: Shoot me a PM sometime, I'm down in Evergreen. I'll try to take a picture of it maybe but I have to find my camera's battery charger first.

Oceanic 11-19-2009 05:34 PM

I have tried all kinds of dosers including the Aqualifter pump, the best thing I have found is one of these recommissioned hospital IV peristaltic devices.

I found mine on Ebay but they are worth the money new. I use the device to feed my calcium reactor partnered with my reef controller controlling the PH inside the reactor. I do not have to fiddle with bubble rates, drip rates or anything.

If my ALK levels are off I just increase the ML per Hour or decrease depending on my test results. Easy as PIE!! Next to my controller this is the best purchase I made for my system in regards to water quality.

http://www.reefdosingpumps.com/produ...ges/Sentry.jpg

lastlight 11-19-2009 06:06 PM

Any idea what brand and roughly how much ? You need to buy one for each solution of course too.

Oceanic 11-19-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 465611)
Any idea what brand and roughly how much ? You need to buy one for each solution of course too.

These are available from www.innovativeaquatics.com. You do not have to buy two, you just simply run the two channel tubing that is available, it does equal doses of two separate fluid simultaneously. They are well worth the money.

Ian

Two channel tubing.
http://www.innovativeaquatics.com/images/2-channel.jpg

lastlight 11-19-2009 08:44 PM

I thought ca and alk are used in different amounts. Do you compensate for this by altering the concentrations of each solution?

Delphinus 11-19-2009 08:57 PM

For the most part in a prebalanced tank, you will add both at fairly close the same rate. You could always do a manual adjustment say once a week if there was drift in one of the parameters.

Having said that, I would prefer being able to add both independent of one another.

I know with the Masterflex peristaltic pumps (lab grade, very expensive, although the occasional good deal comes up on ebay .. also LittleSilverMax had at one point, one for sale, if anyone wanted one of these they should send him a PM) can have interchangeable heads to allow for different flowrates which basically involve different sized tubes or different diameters of the rollers). But the speed at which the rollers turn would be the same for each head so it's still not AS independently adjustable from each other that two seperate feed pumps would be.