Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-20-2007, 06:42 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
Is all the bait gone by morning? If so, maybe they are finding their way out once the food is gone. Maybe try cheching the traps right away like the first time. Just a thought.
The bait is much too large to be eaten completely...or the ciranolids are much too small to eat a noticeable amount.

I caught two more this evening within 1 hour of lights out.

I'll test leaving the trap in overnight again but this time I'll first verify that I've caught at least one, then leave the trap in place with the captured ciranolid still inside. If there is at least one still in the trap by morning, then I would conclude that they aren't getting out.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 05-26-2007, 01:28 AM

Paverdude is on a distinguished road

Did you purchase "THE PACKAGE" from Tampa Bay live rock, and were the sponges part of this package? thanks

Amazing tank man, need a new full tank shot to use as a desktop pic
Old 05-26-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paverdude View Post
Did you purchase "THE PACKAGE" from Tampa Bay live rock, and were the sponges part of this package? thanks

Amazing tank man, need a new full tank shot to use as a desktop pic
Yes...first I loaded with a bunch of base rock. I let that cycle, then ordered the package. While not listed specifically, Richard often throws in the sponges as part of the package.

My sponges are suffering, and I've yet to find anyone anywhere who has been able to keep them alive over a long term.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 05-26-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Ciranolid update

The ciranolid traps continue to work quite well. The traps perfectly capture ONLY ciranolids and nothing else. Just about every manner of other critter tries to get in there and take the bait, but only ciranolids get in through the small hole in the lid.

I've learned that the traps are equally or more effective if I simply leave them in place all night. On a good night, I trap 8 or so. Last night, I didn't catch any.

Haven't seen one actually on a fish in over a week now.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:11 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

sounds like the hunt is near its end! that certainly is good news. good luck on taking out (literally) the last of the pesky parasites.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:43 PM

Ciranolid hunting is sort of "hit and miss". One night I'll get a few, the next I'll get none. I'm no longer concerned about the population getting out of control anyway.

Here's last night's capture. This is the largest one I've seen so far. This was the only one caught last night, but I'm glad to have him out of there!

Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Looks like he is sitting up begging for it life
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Default New Fish!

Went to the store to purchase some tubing...came back with another fish. (you know how it goes...)

Yet another tang. This one is an Achilles Tang. As soon as he arrived, the Yellow Tang attacked. It is funny because I would have said that the yellow tang was the bottom of the tank pecking order until now. Also, while the yellow tang and Naso Tang are best buddies, the Yellow Tang clearly dislikes the Achillies Tang.

Within a few moments, the Achilles had its tail fin sliced completely in half. The tank is now having an extended "nightime". The Achilles does not seem to have his tail blades, so he can't really even mount a defence. You may be able to see the sliced tail in this photo.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
thats what i was thinking

Gorgeous achilles How big is it?

Its funny how the heirachy works in tanks. I've just recently discovered that my scopas tang can be a mean bugger when he wants to. Which is weird as he's never shown any aggression before to any newcomers.

Fish are strange critters

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
He may have been..but it didn't work.

The Achilles is large. Maybe 6"? He's bigger than the Naso and the Yellow, but about the same size as the Trigger.