Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Geek View Post
when I get a chance, I'll test my nitrates. I'm pretty sure my live rock ridiculousness has sufficient denitrifying action. I've not changed water since about May 10th. I'll test my nitrates before I do a water change.

While away, the freeze dried foods are a bit 'cleaner' than the frozen foods, full of juices that the fish can't really eat but are added to the water. So I think it would have been fine.

On a normal forward going basis, I try to do a 20 gallon water change (out of 65gal tank, less live rock volume displacement) each week, if nothing else, just for trace nutrients. I also skip some weeks, just due to life.

My work email and unpacking is on tap in the near future, as well as picking up my dog from the kennel. I'll let you know about the nitrates when I get a chance. I'm guessing my nitrates are within tolerance but phosphates are present, negating the limiting nutrient play
Awesome! Thanks for the info Will definitely help when I might have to leave my tanks for weeks.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 AM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the info Will definitely help when I might have to leave my tanks for weeks.

Looks like the lowest possible level on my cheapo Hagen FW/SW test kit. I'm surprised too. My last water change was the weekend of May 10th. I meant to do a water change just before leaving on the 17th but ran out of time. I guess that's what happens when you go crazy with the live rock.