Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aqua Digital

Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 AM

no_bs is on a distinguished road

Aquabees for me. Got 2 on my skimmer, and they rock. Never any restart issues. I've had mine for over 3 years now, and bought a backup skimmer(thanks ReeferRob), but i don't think i'll need the pumps anytime soon. There are no heavy wear marks, cracks, swelling.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

excellent feedback thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
Only problem here is that the consumer in the main now only wishes to spend about that amount on the whole skimmer not just a pump

So for that alone we have to rule it out.

In reards to the BM Hero, that got voted out a while back as an old design on another thread we ran, the Curve has replaced it which we are already bringing in The curve body is probably the most OEM'd body at present! However the quality is visually different to that of the Skimz body, and as such our modified curve will form our entry level skimmer as of May.

Well, if you can make a skimmer with 2000 L/H of air draw for $225 i will be the first to buy one from you.
For sure !
Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_bs View Post
Aquabees for me. Got 2 on my skimmer, and they rock. Never any restart issues. I've had mine for over 3 years now, and bought a backup skimmer(thanks ReeferRob), but i don't think i'll need the pumps anytime soon. There are no heavy wear marks, cracks, swelling.
Aquabee is a good reliable pump, I have one running for years.
However a little noisy. At least to the point that i can hear it running.
I would want a silent pump with good rubber feet and flex or again rubber connection to the skimmer body.
Aquabees do not pull as much air as i would want for the size of the pump.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM

It is interesting reading the comments about air draw, but no real parity between size of skimmer and the amount of air being forced into it. This was one of the first things that was brought to our attention with Skimz, they had "THE ABILITY" to pull huge air volume numbers but in reality that amount of air was totally useless.

It is not about whacking as much air through the unit as possible but finding the fine balance of the skimmer within the enviroment it has been put in. So the important part here is making sure the units are flexible in terms of adjustment. If this was not the case why do good skimmers have air adjustment valves.

Example - the SM201 was pulling way over 1,000L/H or air, but had little skimming ability at that volume, however dialed down to 600L/H or less and you got the thickest gunk imaginable from the units.

Its about fine balancing of the skimmer but in turn making sure the pump air flow is adapatable to all enviroments.

What we have seen of late is manufacturers banging their heads against a brick wall interms of coming up with some kind of different design in skimmer body to attract sales, so the attention has turned to promoting monumental air flow numbers, 99% of the time (In my oppinion) these high numbers are not practicle and the skimmer air flow is dialed down when put to proper use.

I do not believe that just becuase XXX skimmer can "produce" more air flow than the next skimmer actually makes it any better. I could fit a whopping ASKOLL to an NAC6 but would that make it more efficient?

We plan to build a unit that offers flexibility coupled with funcionality, lets just say there will be no B.S accompanying these units.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 02-09-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

excellent explanation on the air draw matching the skimmer - running a skimmer with the air intake almost closed makes for an inefficient unit.

body and bubble plate of the vertex alpha cone 170/atb 1050 v2 skimmer - doesnt need to be built like a tank. I dont know why everyone needs a skimmer that can withstand being run over by a trunk. Its sits in your sump and doesnt exactly move around. Maybe go with a better quality collection cup if you drop it while cleaning it you dont shatter it. Replacement cups should be available and cost effective. Larger cup would be nicer than a small one.

sicce 1000 pump over the aquabee unless you can get the aquabee replacements for under $120.

external pump over pump under body design (I find the pump under bodies always end up being to tall or are a crap skimmer cause the body isnt big enough.

most sumps are only 12" wide - make sure the foot print has atleast one side that is under 12"

adaptor for pump intake to attach bio pellet reactor effluent - cheap

honest ratings capability

easy to disassemble and clean.

solid set of english instructions available online.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Aqua Bee for less than $120 - we plan to bring the 2000i to the market for $99!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I always thought the pump was the best feature on my 121. The design not so much.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

In regards to pumps, is a recirc design possible with the new style skimmers (cone)? Or does it not need this extra overhead and cost. If Recirc is better in any design, I would be more inclined to buy that one.

I myself still use a 3 pump skimmer... One intake, Two Recirc's

Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, Mike thank you for the parts, Kevin (Red Coral) gave me what I needed. Thanks again.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-09-2012, 05:28 PM

The 121 was a different design all together.

In regards to internal mounted pump vs external body mounted, the reason why internal has become so popular is due to the small foot print, however you will be pleased to know we hope to be bringing in also our version of the much hypes Leopard from skimz also, just not with the Askoll as this pushed the skimmer above what was needed and also cost put it out of the region most are now willing to pay for anything.