Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

I'd believe the elos 450 like stated above because I see signs when my calcium drops to 380-390 under 300 I think you would see serious signs

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 02-03-2012, 03:05 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I bumped up the # minutes on the Ca dosing and the Salifert read a tiny bit higher last night. It had been a long day so I didn't do an Elos reading. I have a bad feeling the lower number might be the correct value just cuz the implications are worse and since when does Murphy's Law cut any slack..

Testing my makeup water would have been a good idea. Duh. Oh well, partly though I did not just on account both tests are close to being finished (well the Salifert did its last test last night .. I didn't even get a full 1ml out of the titration reagent .. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I make a point of checking expiry before purchase Tony. I've found expired elos kits in several lfs and started checking after purchasing two expired kits once.
Well, I just find it odd that I almost always find the SKU sticker, covers the expiry date. To me it feels a little bit rude to sit there at the store and peel that back before buying it, but I'm going to make a point of principle that I'm no longer buying Elos UNLESS I can see at the store that it's NOT expired. I think this is the 3rd time this has happened to me. Man was I annoyed with myself this week when I made that discovery that it was almost a year past that date. I've been too trusting I guess.

Unless Elos is printing the date the batch was made .. and not the expiry date itself .. but that would be unusual would it not?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

That's most def the expiry. I've never actually noticed that date being covered ever. I'd feel lame peeling the SKU back too but I'd just ask the LFS to check for me.

As far as I know an Elos kit is bad if the kit (even unopened) is beyond that date or if it's been used (even once) more than a year ago. I recall reading they're only trustworthy for one year after first use regardless of expiry? I'm guessing this loosely applies to all kits.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

Well, I just find it odd that I almost always find the SKU sticker, covers the expiry date. To me it feels a little bit rude to sit there at the store and peel that back before buying it, but I'm going to make a point of principle that I'm no longer buying Elos UNLESS I can see at the store that it's NOT expired. I think this is the 3rd time this has happened to me. Man was I annoyed with myself this week when I made that discovery that it was almost a year past that date. I've been too trusting I guess.
Well eff that, I have no problem being rude especially after our discussion about the zeo stuff. I'm peeling back the sticker on everything I buy from now on

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
As far as I know an Elos kit is bad if the kit (even unopened) is beyond that date or if it's been used (even once) more than a year ago. I recall reading they're only trustworthy for one year after first use regardless of expiry? I'm guessing this loosely applies to all kits.
Hmmm don't know about that but it sounds plausible. I think I'm going to mark the date of opening and first use on my test kit boxes from now on.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Well eff that, I have no problem being rude especially after our discussion about the zeo stuff. I'm peeling back the sticker on everything I buy from now on
No kidding. Don't you think it's kinda rude to sell you old crap?? Not only would I check, but if the store was selling expired kits and I believed it was a regular practice, I'd find a new store.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
No kidding. Don't you think it's kinda rude to sell you old crap?? Not only would I check, but if the store was selling expired kits and I believed it was a regular practice, I'd find a new store.

Yeah I haven't bought from them in awhile. Not sure if it was just a handy spot to put the UPC code or what but I didn't even notice until Tony and I were chatting about whether the stuff expires or not. He found an expiry date on his and upon closer inspection, so did mine. They were way out of whack too.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 AM

Picked up a Hanna calcium checker on the weekend. According to it ... 546.

Uh, wow.

Turned off the Ca dosing for now and will retest tomorrow. There's a slight chance I botched the test in a way to bump it to a higher reading but it won't be by a huge amount. Unlike the Alk and PO4 testers you only use 0.1ml of tank water diluted in 10ml of DI water, and 0.1ml is a very miniscule amount and I think I might have overshot the mark by a droplet or thereabouts. (I didn't use the cone dispenser that came with it. The Alk checker came with one as well but I never use that because it doesn't actually have a hole in the end of it on that one).

Question for anyone who uses these Hanna checkers for Calcium, there's a rubberized cone end and a plastic cone end. I assume one is for the reagent syringe and the other for the sample syringe .. but which one is which?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Tony, there have been a lot of complaints about the Hanna Calcium Checkers reading really high. I have always found Elos to read about 80-100 ppm higher than Salifert (the Elos alkalinity reads 1-2 dKH lower than Salifert). I have also found old Salifert kits (still within expiry) to be another 80-100 ppm lower than a new Salifert kit. I have no idea which one is more accurate, but I do know my tank is happier when I use the Elos kits and dose according to them. I have all but given up on Salifert kits for calcium and alkalinity. I need to buy some new Elos kits right away here, so it will be interesting to compare them to my old ones.

I'm trying to locate (it's a back burner project) some good independent calibration fluids for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. I hear they are out there somewhere.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 02-07-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM

Please let me know if you ever find some...