Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I tried 2 peppermints and they did not do a thing for me. They were the real peppermint, not the cammel. It is also expensive to try peppermint.

A filefish is out of the question. I have a purple hornet polyp that I am battling to save and it's recovering now and producing babies, so the last thing I want is a filefish eating them and I bet it would be the first thing that a filefish would eat in the tank. Murphey's law.

So now I am doing this with Aiptasia X. For the pumps, I had put nets to cover my pumps when I had my black velvet and it was working well. My black velvet was tiny when I first got it.

I could probably take care of the large one with aiptasia X, which I have been doing anyway but it's the small ones that are growing within zoanthids colonies that I am having problem with. Too small to catch with Aiptasia X and I cannot let them grow in my zoanthids because by the time they get large enough my zoanthids will be dead. That's a pain.

How do the nudibranch work for getting rid of the small aiptasia that are in between zoanthids? Are they able to walk on zoanthids polyps and do that job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
i would go peppermint shrimp long before i go nudis again. in the end after adding about 50 babies to my tank it was the filefish who cleaned them right out, even in a small tank with lots of zoas and palys to eat my filefish barely touched a thing.

because of my eel,tank size and number of aiptasia i was dealing with these were my only 2 options if i wanted to keep my rock.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

The berghia work really well on zoas..that's basically why I got some. I'm breeding some in a separate tank, and I'm rotating zoa frags for them to cleannout
Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 PM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default berghia

i'm breeding them right now-selling them for $14 each-a book to check out breeding berghia is by dane banger-lots of useful info-especialy his banger breeders.i modifyed his breeders by using a 5 and 10 gal aquariums-my set up is under $150 with 2 30 gal sumps 3 breeders and an aptasia tank.they are almost no work at all-just water top ups and feeding the aptasia and nudies
Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
The berghia work really well on zoas..that's basically why I got some. I'm breeding some in a separate tank, and I'm rotating zoa frags for them to cleannout

yes they do really well with small aiptasia, since they are so small and nocturnal they like to hide in small places so zoa colonys provide good hiding places it was the very big aiptasia heads i found they have trouble with and can even be eaten by them.

daniella how much aiptasia do you have?? i would recommend what border jumber is doing if your gonna go the nudi route and use a very small tank or container and rotate the zoas in there, that ways you will be breeding them controlably while keeping an eye on them and at the same time you can rid your zoas of those pesky tiny heads.

theres a guy on here his name is eric and hes canreef name is "themaster" hes a great standup dude to deal with and he was breeding nudis to great success as he was farming aiptasia as well.he has a great knowlege of nudis and how to care for them.hes the guy i got my nudes from and any advice i needed he was quick to help.he may still be raising them as it was only last yeat and im pretty sure he would ship so maybe shoot him a pm as he doesnt post a whole lot on here