Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Trabby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinsn View Post
It is a huge loss for the industry.

What defines this statment? Micosoft stock is at $26/share and apple is at $383 (the the moment) I fail to see how a company that went from the toilet to one of the most prominant computer companies in a matter of a few years is an un-respectible company. Their products are far superior to any windows product.

I have had macs for several years, and will never buy a windows based computer again. I have had 1 problem with a mac product, and ipod. Apple sent me the packageing to ship it back to them for repair in 1 day, they returned me a brand new ipod in 4 days after I shipped it. Is not not good customer service to you?
We as well have only had one issue... got ahold of them and it was taken care of within a week. Great customer service indeed!!!! hence the reason Ive purchased 4 more apple products since.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

I am going to have to disagree. This is a huge loss to tech savy people that have apple products. This doesn't change the "industry" at all. Apple may make a better product for some, and other will disagree. No one can argue the fact that they are a very small player in Business computing. Windows and Unix take up the vast majority of business applications. Comparing Windows and Apples stock price together is a moot point. Apple a month or so ago overtook Exxon for the largest market cap for all of about half an hour. Does that mean Apple is a larger company than exxon? I would hope that is not what it means seeing Exxon has a revenue stream something like 4 or 5 times what apples is. What is a really shame here is a young man dying of cancer.... again. 56 is an age I hope to make it past by a few dozen years, but with a family history of cancer all is up in the air. This just goes to show that life is short no matter who you are or what you have accomplished, and more so there is never enough time. So be happy and enjoy every day... and keep fish

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blom View Post
I am going to have to disagree. This is a huge loss to tech savy people that have apple products. This doesn't change the "industry" at all. Apple may make a better product for some, and other will disagree. No one can argue the fact that they are a very small player in Business computing. Windows and Unix take up the vast majority of business applications. Comparing Windows and Apples stock price together is a moot point. Apple a month or so ago overtook Exxon for the largest market cap for all of about half an hour. Does that mean Apple is a larger company than exxon? I would hope that is not what it means seeing Exxon has a revenue stream something like 4 or 5 times what apples is. What is a really shame here is a young man dying of cancer.... again. 56 is an age I hope to make it past by a few dozen years, but with a family history of cancer all is up in the air. This just goes to show that life is short no matter who you are or what you have accomplished, and more so there is never enough time. So be happy and enjoy every day... and keep fish
Well said!

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well said indeed.

Im not comparing stock for that reason. I am mearly saying that for a company to go from chapter 11 to raise their stock to that of 10+ times their competition in a few years that should say a lot about their porduct and bussiness ethics.

They dont have a huge piece in the business world as of yet. They are huge in graffic design, and will be a big player in the business world in time. You are seeing more and more macs in that end of the world as their products become more friendly for business owener's.

Last edited by parkinsn; 10-06-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinsn View Post
Well said indeed.

Im not comparing stock for that reason. I am mearly saying that for a company to go from chapter 11 to raise their stock to that of 10+ times their competition in a few years that should say a lot about their porduct and bussiness ethics.

They dont have a huge piece in the business world as of yet. They are huge in graffic design, and will be a big player in the business world in time. You are seeing more and more macs in that end of the world as their products become more friendly for business owener's.
Again I don't see the comparison between the Microsoft and Apple stock price, there is way more involved in that share price number. Other than that I completely agree with you. Apple brought out a few products that swept the consumer markets because of intuitive designs. There is no doubt in my mind that they have the leading product in Cell phones, tablets, and music devices. Leading isn't right either... their products dominate those facets of the market. Their Personal Computer Business on the other hand has a very niche market, as you mentioned graphic design and several others such as audio/video production, very artsy type things. But for a company looking for a workstation for an employee to work on data entry an apple is very over priced. Either way the make of your PC will always be left up to the person buying it. People like different things for different reasons. Apple and Jobs have shown a glimmering of what the future may look like, people all over connected to each other while holding a wealth of knowledge in a compact small touch screen. Just think of the gains in technology in the next 50 years. Jobs and Apple may be to thank for that... maybe not. Who knows.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Again I don't see the comparison between the Microsoft and Apple stock price, there is way more involved in that share price number. Other than that I completely agree with you. Apple brought out a few products that swept the consumer markets because of intuitive designs. There is no doubt in my mind that they have the leading product in Cell phones, tablets, and music devices. Leading isn't right either... their products dominate those facets of the market. Their Personal Computer Business on the other hand has a very niche market, as you mentioned graphic design and several others such as audio/video production, very artsy type things. But for a company looking for a workstation for an employee to work on data entry an apple is very over priced. Either way the make of your PC will always be left up to the person buying it. People like different things for different reasons. Apple and Jobs have shown a glimmering of what the future may look like, people all over connected to each other while holding a wealth of knowledge in a compact small touch screen. Just think of the gains in technology in the next 50 years. Jobs and Apple may be to thank for that... maybe not. Who knows.
Your missing my point. This was said;

"well it be a huge loss for the industry? don't know maybe apple can clean up its bussiness practices now and actualy become a respectible company."

I'm not sure how they are not a respectible company? I used the shares as an example. For a company to raise their stock from $.01 to $383, they must be doing something right. The value of the share is not important. It the fact that they are doing something right to be able to be where they are in the market today. I am asking why they are are not a respectible company. They have excellent customer service, and a great product in many markets. Yes, people will always be mac people, or microsoft people, thats your choice. Just because you don't like apple product does not make them a "bad" company.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 PM

imisky is on a distinguished road

apple being a good brand or not or respectable or not is highly debated in the design world. Coming from a design field I know this. Steve Jobs is a great designer though in all honesty he gets too much credit for things that apple brings to the market. Ipod, itunes, iphone wasnt designed by jobs. Most of what brought the apple brand back to where it is today wasnt designed by him. But what he did as a lead designer was approve of the designs and I'll add that he did a good job approving the correct ones to reflect what the new apple brand was becoming.

What a person has to know about the design industry (what apple focuses heavily on) is how a company or a person is able to convince the crowd of the "things" they are bringing out to the market. Steve Jobs did a wonderful job at that during product announcements. He brought the excitement to the conferences and got the crowd all hyped up. Unfortunately I didnt get the same vibe from Tim Cook when he announced the iphone 4s the other day. Dont get me wrong I dont hate apple products. I dont own one but I dont hate them, infact I use them for production purposes due to hardware optimization from adobe softwares focusing on intel chips that all new macs use.

Now if apple would actually show some real innovation in there so called "new features" I'll give them credit for the software design part of what they bring. (ill give them the multi touch thing) but other than that they are usually slow to the table with what they can bring in terms of new tech.

With all that mumble jumbo said, they offer great service products there limited hardware compatibility issues (all macs use the same hardware) unlike PC. So with that aspect alone they are able to eliminate so much issues that windows otherwise has to offer. Its the lifestyle that things are user friendly/none buggy/ easy to pickup and use that people buy into the apple brand. and which makes them the company they are today, respectful or not is subjective, its a super hard argument to win when it comes to this topic.

Ethical or not is a much better thing to look at if you want a comparison

Last edited by imisky; 10-06-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisky View Post
apple being a good brand or not or respectable or not is highly debated in the design world.
Maybe it is debated in the design world whether Apple's products are "good" but the question of whether Apple is a good brand is undeniable and not really a matter of opinion. Apple's brand is very valuable in the same way Coke, Pepsi, Microsoft and many other brands are valuable.

In my opinoin from what I know of what Steve Job's has done his tremendous leadership and vision was there and is without question. I know he started Apple in his garage and that his early offerings as an individual were heavily on the technical side. As an idea/concept or product offering evolves it sometimes becomes more about the overall direction of the products and less about a particular button or feature etc that is now included. It takes tremendous leadership to move a company in a particular direction and become not only something many identify with but a top competitor in the market.