Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 PM

syncro is on a distinguished road

Some random ideas:

I haven't done much aquarium photography but I've found the point and shoots get great pictures when lots of light is available. They are usually pretty good with close up macro shots. I suspect with aquarium glass you will want manual focus controls though which almost all point and shoots are terrible at.

- the Canon Gxxx "pro" point-and-shoot line might have the manual controls you want but doesn't have the large sensor of the DSLRs wiith interchangable lenses

- the micro 4/3s system from Panasonic / Olympus gets you interchangable lenses (some really nice ones too) in a small package

- The Camera Store in Calgary will rent out cameras and lenses so you can try them

- Try the Camera Finder on Flickr to see what is possible. Pick a camera then search for aquarium-type keywords. For example, here are some decent pics from an iPhone: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=clow...ple%2Fiphone_4

Some good sites for research:
www.cameralabs.com (more practical, good comparisons)
www.dpreview.com (more technical)
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Take a look at all the various DSLR options out there. Try them all out and see which one has the most features for the money and feels the best in your hands. If you're comparing in the same price points the image quality betweek a Sony, Nikkon, and Canon will be negligible. Especially between Sony and Nikkon as Sony makes the image sensors for all the Nikkon cameras. You will find that lens selection impacts image quality more then camera brand.

I would recommend getting something in the 12-16mp range. I shoot with a Sony a55 and am thrilled with it.

www.dpreview.com is full of camera reviews.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

While sony does make nikon sensors keep in mind that doesn't mean sony and nikon sensors are the same. Sony makes sensors for many other companies but they make them based on the other manufactures designs and specifications. You'll notice from reveiws and tests Nikon sensors will usually score higher than Sony.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...Sensor-Ratings
In addition a sensor makes little difference between comparable cameras, it's the lens and the software within that really make the image.

For DSLR I would go either Nikon or Canon, your lens quality, selection, new and used availability will be far superior over other brands.

Last edited by sphelps; 08-29-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
While sony does make nikon sensors keep in mind that doesn't mean sony and nikon sensors are the same. Sony makes sensors for many other companies but they make them based on the other manufactures designs and specifications. In addition a sensor makes little difference between comparable cameras, it's the lens and the software within that really make the image.

For DSLR I would go either Nikon or Canon, your lens quality, selection, new and used availability will be far superior over other brands.
Actually, it does mean the sensors are the same. The software is different, and if you shoot raw even that's a bit of a moot point, but the sensor in my a55 is the exact same sensor that goes into the comparable Nikon (model is escaping me atm). The sensor that went into my a100 was the exact sensor Nikon used in the d80.

As far as brand new lens selection, sony has just as much high-quality glass as anybody else in their Zeiss and "g" series lenses. I would put any of the high end Sony lenses against anything Canon and Nikon put out. An added bonus is the Sony anti-shake technology is built into the camera and not the lens meaning that I can take any old Minolta AF lens and get the benefit of the anti-shake technology. It also means I'm not paying for anti-shake technology every time I buy a new lens. I will concede that used Sony/Minolta lenses are tough to find in Alberta, but seem to be plentiful in Ontario and the U.S.

Anyways, I don't want to derail this with a camera brand ****ing contest but I hate the snobbery that seems to ooze from Canon/Nikon owners any time you mention Sony.

Take the advice mentioned above, go to a site like flickr and search for the various cameras you are interested in to get a feel for what's possible with these cameras as far as image quality goes. Check out a site like DPreview.com to get reviews. Don't discount Sony because Nikon and Canon owners don't like it, and don't discount the others because I have a Sony and feel that it's the best value for my dollar out there. Finally, come up with your top camera in each brand and go to The Camera Store in Calgary or a similar place and TRY each camera out. See how it feels in your hands and compare the feature set. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples though... it's not a valid comparison if you are looking at a $4000 Canon, a $2000 Sony, and a $600 Nikon!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 PM

While some might be the same I said it doesn't mean they are the same, some are are and some are not.... And again this is typical in a large selection of brands.

Regardless my points are valid and I have no problem with Sony products but you simply won't find the same quality and selection in Sony DSLR products. For example the nikkor 105 is rated higher than the sony 85. The sony 85 is a good lens no doubt but the sigma 85 is the same and available for nikon and canon. A matching 105 is not available for sony. The same could be said for many nikon, sony and canon lenses when compared. You'll notice a limited selection of Sony lenses in the top of the charts.
Then look at the used availability for lenses, you'll have much more luck finding decent deals on used nikon or canon compared to sony.

This was my only point, any "snobbery" definitely didn't come from me... However I will add there's a reason why the two highest rated SLR companies use lens stabilizers.

Last edited by sphelps; 08-29-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
While some might be the same I said it doesn't mean they are the same, some are are and some are not.... And again this is typical in a large selection of brands.

Regardless my points are valid and I have no problem with Sony products but you simply won't find the same quality and selection in Sony DSLR products. For example the nikkor 105 is rated higher than the sony 85. The sony 85 is a good lens no doubt but the sigma 85 is the same and available for nikon and canon. A matching 105 is not available for sony. The same could be said for many nikon and canon lenses. Then look at the used availability for lenses, you'll have much more luck finding decent deals on used nikon or canon compared to sony.

This was my only point, any "snobbery" definitely didn't come from me...
They both score in "excellent range". The sony lens is faster and I would guess that you wouldn't notice a difference unless you were pixel peeping. Also, the Nikon camera body tested on retails at over double the cost of the Sony body they tested their lens on. (D3X -$7500, A900 ~$3000). I would hope the Nikkor scored better

I feel, in my biased Sony owning opinion that if you compare the value you get for spending X amount of dollars on Sony products with anybody else you get the best bang for your buck.

Anyways, we're derailing this thread. My big issue was with your recommendation to ignore the Sony line-up. I feel the OP should pick the most appealing camera from each brand and see how the feature list adds up and how they feel in his/her hands. I liked the Canons as well, but hated the way they felt in my hands and that's something only the purchaser can decide.

Last edited by Slick Fork; 08-29-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 PM

doch is on a distinguished road

What about something like this...

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003...pf_rd_i=915398

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Don't know much about the olympus cameras. I would see what they have available as far as a lens selection goes before buying it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doch View Post
Honestly if your budget is $600 then use your budget, if it's $350 just being up front about it will allow people to actually make recommendations you can use. A P&S with interchangeable lenses in no way compares to an actual DSLR, IMO it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. If you're looking a simple point and shoot the canon g series are nice and if you're looking for something cheaper the S95 or something along those lines is suppose to be similar or the same, so I've been told anyway.

If you're looking for very close up quality get an actual DSLR which will allow you at least to upgrade to nice lenses in the future. You can't do this with a P&S, with or without "interchangeable lenses"

Last edited by sphelps; 08-29-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

I have an Olympus E520 DSLR, with the 4/3 mount. the camera above has the micro 4/3. lots of lenses around, and 4/3's is adaptable to almost anthing with a cheap adapter. $50+ in stores, $10 on ebay. It's adaptable because of something with the focal point being shorter than most camera's. I love my DSLR, but have a kodak point and shoot that's seen more picture due to ease of use(More so the pocket size), and because of that, has seen some better pictures.

Last edited by Lampshade; 08-29-2011 at 10:13 PM.