Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-11-2004, 05:29 AM

kris is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to kris Send a message via MSN to kris

steve is right. it would be fine for a while. keep in mind this plant likes to ramain in a warm humid room. as well it dose not like to be moved from one pote to another. so replanting in the final pot once it is picked up is a must.

steve pics of what? my plants or the plant in genral?
Old 01-11-2004, 05:33 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

I know it dosent evaporate in large quantities but the sodium does transfer in small quantities with the water atoms. and when you have an enclosed space with very high humidity from huge amounts of salt water you do get salt on your driveway, so to say... Every bolt in our new building will be stainless or nickle plated, and they will still show signs of rust, garage doors need to be striped of bolts and replaced with stainless hardware or they fall apart within a year. only coated screws can be used, or stainless, or they fail quickly if under load, I have witnessed this first hand. Also I have been told by a profesional botanist that some tropicals do very poorly with salt water humidity, thats why you only see certain varities of plant life on coast lines, some tolerate it more than others. If salt dosent transfer how do we get salt creep on our fishroom windows that are 5 feet away from the tanks... the salt can clog the pores on some plant leaves, killing them, or burning them
Old 01-11-2004, 06:01 AM

ummm i would really not worry about it.. id imagine there is some sort of ventilation. if not i would worry more about the heal probs of being in that enviroment.

but back to the point, it should be fine. they need lower light, they grow in the moist humid warm enviroment of the rain forest. these trees are not easy at all. i was shocked that i was able to get the seed to even germanate. If you want to give it a try one go for it. i know im keeping one, maybey 2. i think it would be wild to do one as a bonsi.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:12 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
steve pics of what? my plants or the plant in genral?
either

Thats weird kyle I evaporate 5 gal per day in my tank and the only place I have salt creep is on the edges of my tank. in the sump area I have a fair bit but that is from splashing not evaporation but I have calmed that down a lot also.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:02 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

I guess the 5 gallons dosent make much of a difference, my friends fish room evaporates about 50 gallons everyday and he has similar problems as me, I can evaporate 150 gallons a day depending on the weather, and when our new fish room is setup, I think we might evaporate up around 200-300 gallons a day, there will be alot of surface area of water
Old 01-11-2004, 07:05 PM

hey steve here are some links to some pictures of the plants. sorry still no digital cammera here.

here is a link on how the chocolate gose from point a to point b
chocolate
Old 01-13-2004, 05:14 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Indoor gardeners???

My orchids do fine in the fish room, humidity is great for almost all tropical plants. If it's a plant that comes from the south pacific, the caribean or mediteranian it should do fine in the fish room. Light is the key for most of these plants and I don't mean 10,000k, they'll grow short and bushy. 5500k - 6500k would be best.

Doug
Old 01-13-2004, 05:21 AM

Hey Doug i agree. Would you like a plant?
Old 01-13-2004, 05:28 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Kris I would but I've got some plants with tobacco virus, I lost most of my orchids, I'll not add anything to my room now unless I kill off all my others and just start over.. which I can't bear to do.

Thanks though

Doug
Old 01-13-2004, 05:54 AM

That sucks. how did you get that nasty virrus?

and is there not a treatment for it? i thought there was, have you tryed calling brookside orchid garden?