Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 11-12-2010, 02:10 PM

nanochef is on a distinguished road

heading to the LFS today after class, GF was down for the assessors till she found the price and almost cut my head off... tis life i guess. we did decide on a royal gramma, yellow watchmen (or other shrimp goby) and a pistol shrimp. any objections?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Grammas are my personal favourite all time fish...in fact, I have 4 as the main attraction in my 95 display...

After I reccod a few assessors to you and found out Rene had brought in some ORA ones for 50.00 I went and picked another up to add to my 12 gallon so I now have a pair in there, will likely get 1 more this weekend for a trio and see how that goes or maybe I'll try and pull my blue out of my 95 and add it to these 2...

after paying 130$ for the wild caught one, 50$ felt like a steal,,,be forewarned though, the captive bred pale in colour comparison to the wild caught.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

just so you know. If you want a goby shrimp pair its best to buy them as a pair already. They dont always pair up if you buy them seperate. Also, the ones that pair up are the ones that look similar to eachother.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Banned

IME, in a smaller tank, any prawn goby and pistol shrimp will eventually pair up...at least 9/10 times.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

really?? Everyone has told me otherwise. hmmm interesting. Makes me reconsider my yasha pistol pair
Old 11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

over the years, I've had so many pairs of these...a nano is almost not complete without them in my house.

In a small tank, they almost always find one another...though sometimes it takes a week or two it's usually near instantaneous.

In larger displays, I have just used a well positioned weighted cover, like tupperware to keep them together until the shrimp builds his burow and the goby joins it.

Keep in mind, LFS often charge more for a symbiotic pair than for 2 individuals so depending on where you get your info, there may be some bias.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:12 AM

nanochef is on a distinguished road

so the trip to the store was semi-successful. no grammas in stock so i ordered one to come in. ended up coming home with a perc clown and a scooter blenny.. can u tell the gf came with me lol? love them both none the less, great personality on the 2.. cant wait to get my R.gramma though and some corals

looking for guys/gals with frags in niagara/burlington/hamilton region, different zoas, rhics, softies
Old 11-13-2010, 05:35 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

you know the scooter blenny is actually a scooter Dragonet right? there dedicated copopod eaters . I have heard of lots of people training them to eat frozen foods and or marine pellets . The scooters are suposed to be easier . Im thinking of getting a scooter or a droagonet for my new 15 gal and training it so it would be great if you kept us updated on how your guy is doing .
Old 11-13-2010, 05:47 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

wow spelling mistakes plz ignore those lol
Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

a group of sexy shrimps
a group of candy cane trimma gobies
a group of eviota bifasciata gobies