Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Come close to tossing in the towel a few times. I think there comes a time when you'll know if it's time. Personally I would miss it. I know I spend *way* too much on my tanks, it would probably save me loads if I did sell all, but I'd miss it.

One thing to take into account also is how much you'll lose if you sell the equipment. Used to be you were lucky to get pennies on the dollar, think it's a little better nowadays but not sure.

It's a hard decision. I don't know what to suggest to help decide, other than you usually know when it's the right time.

Sorry and good luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

Thanks Brett for the advise. Frank is still looking into your tile...it just has been sort of insane since we last spoke in PMs. I will remind him again for tomorrow to look into it again. Nobody was around over the holidays and now since the holidays are over, all hell has broken loose for anything and everything.

I am glad I posted this thread. I was afraid to since I did not want to be judged over having serious financial issues... I guess it happens to the best of us no matter how hard we have worked to try to stay ahead or break even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I was going to keep mine running as well until things got REALLY serious and it was my entire lifestyle and house I was downsizing.

If that's not your case keep it going. The startup costs are killer and the cost to let it run with vitals is minimal. Over the course of my last 3 tanks I've invested about $20,000 and made back MAYBE $6,000. Unless a person is forced into that...it hurts too much to do. It'd be bad enough if I'd been able to run and enjoy all 3 tanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:22 AM

Thanks Tony... I do love my fish... they are my little pets and they swim into my hands and we interact so well together. I would hate to give them up, but I would alspo hate to lose them if I could not afford to maintain their tank, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Come close to tossing in the towel a few times. I think there comes a time when you'll know if it's time. Personally I would miss it. I know I spend *way* too much on my tanks, it would probably save me loads if I did sell all, but I'd miss it.

One thing to take into account also is how much you'll lose if you sell the equipment. Used to be you were lucky to get pennies on the dollar, think it's a little better nowadays but not sure.

It's a hard decision. I don't know what to suggest to help decide, other than you usually know when it's the right time.

Sorry and good luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Please don't worry about the tile. That was the old me.

The new me is just drywalling the stand and canopy and calling it a day. This new me also decided to go with koralias over the vortechs...i know! The new build is coming in WELL under the cost of just my last light (hey that's my username sweet). I feel good knowing I won't be so heavily invested this time.

And if it ever gets running...it'll be a small upgrade from the 68g I started off with. 68 -> 400 -> 225 -> 70. You can sorta see my magical gallonage for having livestock =)

And who's going to judge? Everyone has felt the economic strain I think. Good luck with whatever you choose. Even after loosing my shirt again...I feel great not having such a massive (physically and financially) symbol of my living outside my means in the middle of my livingroom.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's hard but I think you need to find a way to keep it, you will find it way too hard to deal with without it in your life. Give it up on your own terms.

I know if I were to sell everything, I'd be done forever. That's one reason I keep plodding along .. if I'm not 100% certain I'm ready to call it "forever" then I might as well keep what I've spent money on for the time being.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

This isn't forever though. The economy will recover and so will all of us =) You're thinking of taking a break not getting out for good right?

If you enjoy the build as much as I do and you make improvements with each one...you might be able to see this in a positive light.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 AM

Well Brett you say that now... have you started taping that drywall yet? We got our cards done and don;t need anything in return. I can get you the tile at wholesale and do not want anything out of it. Just for you to pay for it and pick it up if you change your mind.

I have had Koralia 700s for over a year, they are very reliable and to non tank people they don't even get brought up.

I went from a little tank that came with out house to the 260g... I had no clue it was so expensive, and if I did, I never would have done this hobby. Mind you, I think most people would be the same. I paid $500 for the tank and sump... did not think of all the plumbing, rocks... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah... to infinity...

Tony, if you ever kick out of this hobby, I will soon follow. Often I hang in there because of you.

Quote:
Please don't worry about the tile. That was the old me.

The new me is just drywalling the stand and canopy and calling it a day. This new me also decided to go with koralias over the vortechs...i know! The new build is coming in WELL under the cost of just my last light (hey that's my username sweet). I feel good knowing I won't be so heavily invested this time.

And if it ever gets running...it'll be a small upgrade from the 68g I started off with. 68 -> 400 -> 225 -> 70. You can sorta see my magical gallonage for having livestock =)

And who's going to judge? Everyone has felt the economic strain I think. Good luck with whatever you choose. Even after loosing my shirt again...I feel great not having such a massive (physically and financially) symbol of my living outside my means in the middle of my livingroom.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 AM

It would be for good, or so I think. I notice most people I have bought stuff from have shut down and restarted numerous times... we could afford the build last year, but I have no clue when we can afford this again in the future. I am very lucky with my fish, and doubt I would be so lucky with the fish I keep and their survival rates.

Guess I will keep things going, I just wanted to know if people regretted shutting down. I am gutting even thinking about it, but if it saved money which made a big difference, then it would be a slam dunk on what should be done..

Thanks for the advise!

Quote:
This isn't forever though. The economy will recover and so will all of us =) You're thinking of taking a break not getting out for good right?

If you enjoy the build as much as I do and you make improvements with each one...you might be able to see this in a positive light.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Gold Member

I look at it this way. I left the big tank hobby for good I'd say. I think it's totally possible to not quit if you find what's sustainable. For me it's smaller tanks it seems.

Glad you're hangin in there
Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I have had my fair share of shut downs and restarts and regretted each and every shut down. Each new start up was an evolution and kind of fun but ya, it is expensive, which is why my main 150g tank is probably it for me. Even if I had to move this tank is coming with me. I would miss it terribly but also would not want to invest the kind of money that I've already put into this tank to do it again. The "forever" part for me is I plan on being in this hobby forever, through thick and thin. I think I've gone through all the trials and tribulations.. tank shut downs, moves, crashes, algae, ich, fish deaths, corals, heater meltdowns, etc.. etc.. Those things used to bother me but eventually I learned that they were part of the experience. No one wants any of the bad stuff to happen but they are good learning experiences in the end. Another thing I've learned is that you make this hobby what you want of it. If you're happy just watching your fish that's great. You don't need to spend a zillion dollars on fancy schmancy equipment just to watch a couple of clown fish and a tang swim around (been there done that too! ).