Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Was it worth it in the end (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59862)

my2rotties 01-12-2010 03:16 AM

Was it worth it in the end

Due to deep financial difficulties in this economy, I am thinking of shutting my tank down. It is heart breaking to even consider this, but of all things that are non essential, my tank tops the list.

For those of you that shut your tanks down due to financial issues or whatever, was it worth it all in the end? The money was already spent on my tank, and it runs itself now after 13 months. I have no corals anymore (summer neglect and flat worms), and I only have my prized fish left. All I pay for now is salt and food, and it is not that much anymore. Everything is healthy and I adore my fish.

Because I have no more corals, I know I don't need to be running my halides so much anymore, so the T5s will do. I am trying to justify keeping my tank since it was a lot of hard work and I am very attached to my livestock. Did you save a lot of money when you shut the tank down? Did you regret shutting it down?

I don't want to regret this after all my husband and I have been through with setting the system up. What do you think, after all the building expenses are over with, is it that much more to keep the tank running at this point? Will I save THAT much money or will I kick myself in the a$$ and wish I never did it and have to start all over again some day?

Skimmerking 01-12-2010 03:30 AM

Hey Diana if its going then leave it, its not hurting anything moeny always comes around when you are not expecting it. Its its jsut running on bare min funds then ya but to rip it down to just get stuff sorted out na its not worth it in the end. Time will be good to you trust your heart ok. Serious it will worth its self out in the end. you have to really want this to stay thou.

I vote with the feeling in my gut KEEP IT

go with NORMAL FLOURESANTS THEN its a FOWLR sell the MH

mark 01-12-2010 03:34 AM

haven't shutdown a tank, but the on-going costs compared to the initial setup cost, that I wouldn't realistically be able to recover, would seem like I would just be throwing money away if to close up. Then imagine if decided to start up again later..., I couldn't see starting again after the first lesson.

Would think though if the make/break point is the cost of running a tank, I'd be wondering how I extended myself so much and be looking over a lot of lifestyle choices. Either way, the economy will turn around.

Skimmerking 01-12-2010 03:34 AM

Oh ya sell all your fancy equipment too to get money back. go back to the old caveman days in reefing

my2rotties 01-12-2010 03:39 AM

Thanks Mike I appreciate your reply. This has been a gut wrenching week, and it is only Monday for me... I don't want to sell my tank and selling it would never recover what I paid. I just wondered if it would pan out in monthly savings in the long run.

I have wonderful fish and would ahte to sell them and then have them die afterwards. I have a gift for keeping fish, and would hate to give them a death sentance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmodeus (Post 480650)
Hey Diana if its going then leave it, its not hurting anything moeny always comes around when you are not expecting it. Its its jsut running on bare min funds then ya but to rip it down to just get stuff sorted out na its not worth it in the end. Time will be good to you trust your heart ok. Serious it will worth its self out in the end. you have to really want this to stay thou.

I vote with the feeling in my gut KEEP IT

go with NORMAL FLOURESANTS THEN its a FOWLR sell the MH

ALBERTA REEF 01-12-2010 03:42 AM

I would say Keep it running. For what life has delt me with the way economy whent. My tanks keep me buzy keeping my mind off things. Put this way the money spend on it is better then spending it drinking!:biggrin:

my2rotties 01-12-2010 03:43 AM

I have been hanging in there thinking this exact same thing. I never turned the halides on today, since I don't really need them. They look much prettier though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 480651)
haven't shutdown a tank, but the on-going costs compared to the initial setup cost, that I wouldn't realistically be able to recover, would seem like I would just be throwing money away if to close up. Then imagine if decided to start up again later..., I couldn't see starting again after the first lesson.

Would think though if the make/break point is the cost of running a tank, I'd be wondering how I extended myself so much and be looking over a lot of lifestyle choices. Either way, the economy will turn around.

Skimmerking 01-12-2010 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my2rotties (Post 480642)
It is heart breaking to even consider this,

was it worth it all in the end?

The money was already spent on my tank,

it runs itself now after 13 months.

and I only have my prized fish left.

All I pay for now is salt and food, and it is not that much anymore.

Everything is healthy and I adore my fish.

I know I don't need to be running my halides so much anymore,

I am trying to justify keeping my tank since it was a lot of hard work and

I am very attached to my livestock.

Did you regret shutting it down?

I don't want to regret this after all my husband and I have been through

with setting the system up.

or will I kick myself in the a$$

you know your answers here Diana and frank you have already have it in your mind

my2rotties 01-12-2010 03:54 AM

Too late, I already hit the wine this evening... coping mechanism. I do love my fish and am glad they are so healthy and tame. They eat from my hands and swim behind me when I am at me desk... begging for food. They are my couple of dozen extra pets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBERTA REEF (Post 480657)
I would say Keep it running. For what life has delt me with the way economy whent. My tanks keep me buzy keeping my mind off things. Put this way the money spend on it is better then spending it drinking!:biggrin:

lastlight 01-12-2010 04:01 AM

I was going to keep mine running as well until things got REALLY serious and it was my entire lifestyle and house I was downsizing.

If that's not your case keep it going. The startup costs are killer and the cost to let it run with vitals is minimal. Over the course of my last 3 tanks I've invested about $20,000 and made back MAYBE $6,000. Unless a person is forced into that...it hurts too much to do. It'd be bad enough if I'd been able to run and enjoy all 3 tanks!