Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-04-2009, 07:04 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I agree!

What gets me is offering something for sale.. getting a zillion-12 emails and PM's from someone, the deal is done. You put the stuff on hold...
THEN you wait, and wait, and wait for payment. Then poof.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:44 PM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
because all you have to do is say nope to low.

you know that in Canada we are one of the few countrys in the world where we just pay what is asked.. in most of the other countries you are expected to deal and some places it is insulting if you don't try get a better deal. take the middle east for example, usaly you would offer about 1/2 of what they are asking.. they counter with "how am I going to feed my family for that amount" and come back with about 75%. then you tell them that is to much and offer about 65%. they may play again or accept it.. then they wrap it and have tea or some other drink with you. In greece it was grappa and you drink it even though I hated it . the tea part is very important also don't refuse it or they get upset.

I know this is not the middel east or the med but whats the harm in asking? don't you try for a deal in the fish stores?

Steve
You have to haggle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
I agree!

What gets me is offering something for sale.. getting a zillion-12 emails and PM's from someone, the deal is done. You put the stuff on hold...
THEN you wait, and wait, and wait for payment. Then poof.
easy.. nothing is on hold untill you have the money.. make that clear and there will be no misconceptions. or put a reasonable deadline inplace. say I will hold it for 3 days then it is forsale again. we are our own worst enemy as we always want to look for the best in people.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:56 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
you know.. the funny thing is that is how it was the first time I went to buy something in UAE.. the guy said you must be canadian.. I will teach you how to buy stuff and it was pretty much like that LOL..

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:04 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Well there is haggling....and then there is outright insulting someone with your offer. Thing that bugs me about the B/S forums is when you PM someone because you are interested in what they have for sale and they dont have the decency to get back to you with some kind of response. How hard is it to type "sorry someone else beat you to it" ???
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-04-2009, 02:45 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
Well there is haggling....and then there is outright insulting someone with your offer. Thing that bugs me about the B/S forums is when you PM someone because you are interested in what they have for sale and they dont have the decency to get back to you with some kind of response. How hard is it to type "sorry someone else beat you to it" ???
I agree. It drives me crazy when I never hear back from someone, I rather know it's been sold then sit around wondering.

If you ask around and the price is fair then I believe you should pay what the person is asking, however if the item is really overpriced then ya I would haggle but I wouldn't want to really lowball the person and end up insulting them. Also I agree that offers should be made in PM's and not for everyone to see. I've been lucky so far in that everything we've sold, the person has paid what we agreed upon. I'd be really ****ed off (to the point were I'd probably say no) if the price was agreed upon at $100 and someone showed up with only $80.

Last edited by fishoholic; 07-04-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:03 PM

findingnemo1 is on a distinguished road

Wow i am so glad i am not the only one
I have never been able to "Haggle" Anything in my life. I bought a new vehicle a few yrs back and the salesman haggled with his manager for me....lol

I guess its just when i read these for sale ad's and i know what its worth and they are already asking for WAY less than what they paid for it and then watch someone just insult them. And then continue with is all the extra's included to???
REALLY.....lol
When we sold our 180 it was brutal what ppl wanted to pay for it the stand and then us to throw in all the pumps. So i guess i was pretty darn happy to just drop the price and Christy come and get it

Old 07-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Pazil is on a distinguished road

I honestly don't mind the hagglers.... What really pi$$'s me off is the people who say OK I'll take it..... when is good to come by? and you never see them. This just happened to me twice!!! by the same person..
Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazil View Post
I honestly don't mind the hagglers.... What really pi$$'s me off is the people who say OK I'll take it..... when is good to come by? and you never see them. This just happened to me twice!!! by the same person..
Oh ya that is really annoying, I've had it happen to me before, but from different people. FYI I wouldn't try to sell anything to that person ever again.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:26 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I can't be bothered (or to embarrassed) to haggle so if buying something big I bring along the wife and it is amazing how much she either gets the price down or have extras thrown in.

Now here selling a frag for $15, guy agrees, comes over says $10, that's just being cheap, but the no shows are way more annoying.