Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 06-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I've seen some DSB vs. BB debates that could rival political and religious debate

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-15-2007, 06:18 PM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

Thank you Ruth I was myself trying to find a "correct" way of bringing this topic up. I joined this group to talk about my hobby and its related discussions. I find myself misled into threads thinking it to be aqua related only to be "preached to or rallied behind a non-aquadic cause". This "what the heck" thread is one step to getting us back on topic. Thanks
Kevin
Old 06-15-2007, 06:29 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
I've seen some DSB vs. BB debates that could rival political and religious debate
Don't you know, DSB and BB are rival religions.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
Now thats a fact. But they almost always end up in being closed and someone getting banned. Or in a certain case, many of the "pro,s" leaving completely and long time members or staff leaving.

Which I guess is part of the reason many boards just keep it from even starting up and by that I mean also the political/relgious debates, which as Slick Fork said get personal real fast.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:29 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

There is irony attached to this thread, isn't there?

Personally, I don't find a discussion thread about "threads on war and politics" constructive because you get people that justify their actions and the fire is just fueled.

It's not worth repeating something that's being repeated constantly as of late.

I really like how Ruth put it though; I'm sick of all the political issues (here) as well, but I understand where they're coming from.

Last edited by Moogled; 06-15-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:37 AM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
So why not use the boards that are dedicated to that purpose. Why must Titus provide a platform for it on his aquarium board?

I 100% disagree. Very few boards allow political debate. I mentioned one above and I am a member of another that does but I also belong to another dozen that dont. If anything I find it drives away aquarists that wish to post on aquarium related topics.

How do you figure moderating heated political or religious discussions drives away members interested in aquarium related topics?

The largest and most popular reefing boards, have a restriction the same as us. Some boards that allow it, have pages of heated threads in their lounge everyday but less than 1/2 a page of aquarium related threads. I dont see where their large lounge membership does anything for the reef portion. If anything, as I mentioned before, it distracts from it.

I suppose if the boards owner wished a forum for just that, it could be done. Some boards have done that, where a separate registration is required. But then again, that shows how it needs removal from boards like this. I guess the big question is,
* Why does a board thats purpose is to discuss aquarium related topics, require a political discussion forum?

* Why do those that wish to do so, not use the boards designed for such a purpose?

Of course, except for this boards policy, most of this is my opinion on things.

In answer to your question regarding the amount of views, perhaps they are like me. I read to such forums, almost daily. However I seldom post, as I cannot hold my own with many of them and besides, arguing with someone online, is like banging your head on the wall.

But if I wish to read or I guess participate in those discussions, I go where they are. It has nothing to do, what so ever, with my posting on this board or any other board I post on reef related topics.
Why not use another board?.......for the same reason that when someone starts a thread on cars,jokes,computers,etc they don't just post on specific boards. For whatever reason a member finds something "non-fish" related interesting and wants to share it in the lounge with other people they have a common interest (reefing) with. As far as Titus paying the freight, I guess he does it for the same reason he allows a 40 pg. thread to go on day after day to simply allow post counts to accumulate(Worthless Thread). I don't get it, but many members seem to enjoy it. To each their own.
I don't believe anywhere in my post I said "Allow out right political/religious debate"...I understand the lounge rules don't allow it, so be it. What I actually said was, "the lounge should allow a wide latitude before a thread is locked". Which to this point I believe it does. The problem is when a thread is deemed political by some. Just about any topic from global warming to the Olympics can turn political. Don't get me wrong, this board doesn't close threads too often, all I'm saying is let's keep it that way. If you don't have an interest in a thread don't waste your time reading it, rather than asking for it to be closed.

I never said "moderating political heated debate" drives members away. To be clear I said, being "trigger happy locking threads" thereby becoming too narrow in what is allowed drives members away. The boards are only as interesting as the threads. The board I was referring to has extremely knowledgeable members but they seldom post there anymore. It has become little more than a collection of classifieds, sponsor forums and fewer and fewer daily post. something I don't want to see happen here.
I didn't think my post was critical of Canreef or any mods at all, If anything I was showing my support for the way it is done here with the limited use of locked threads and was only questioning the call to lock/ban threads before they even begin. Something that isn't normally done here. No need to fix something that is not broken. This board routinely has interesting in depth discussions with opposing views that remain civil, For me that makes an interesting board. Obviously the primary reason we are all here is a common interest in reefing but if the lounge discussion occasionally makes a "left" or "right" turn off the beaten path while remaining cordial some people find that entertaining and a reason to visit.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:38 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFudge View Post
Confucious say : Beauty is in the eye of the Beerholder.
I don't know where the heck you come up with these but they always make me smile Marc

Ok so maybe I had only drank half of my first cup of java when I posted this morning and came off a little cranky. I really enjoy this board and have learned a lot and hopefully been able to share just a little bit. I usually read all of the posts as part of my morning "time to wakee wakee Ruth" ritual. I enjoy the knowledge, pictures etc. etc. as well as the interesting - off topic - and often fun and/or silly topics in the lounge.
I respect and enjoy healthy debates on a variety of subjects, particularly those that I am passionate about..........but ........I don't come on this board to discuss or debate cutting horses, my work, my political opinions or just my plain old opinions on a variety of issues (even though I am positive that my opinion is the RIGHT one). I come on here to discuss, learn and even debate about another of my passions and that is keeping reef tanks and personally I find that it is those "other" threads that are going to drive me away. This is just my view of the world and I understand that not everyone agrees.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:50 AM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

The point here is some topics are more personal than others. Why are some people outspoken in regards to what a retard Harper is but at the same time won't harp about how they hate homosexuals and their carnal pleasures?

That's why.

Yeah, any thread can turn "political". We can start a thread about doody and turn it into whatever we want, but topics like war and religion ALWAYS - and always WILL - wear out their welcome because everyone likes to give their "humble 2 cents".

PS: What bothers me is that some people try to downplay their opinion even though they feel 110% about it.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:40 AM

hawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
........I don't come on this board to discuss or debate cutting horses, my work, my political opinions or just my plain old opinions on a variety of issues (even though I am positive that my opinion is the RIGHT one).
Cutting horses, you're into cutting horses... Well let me tell you what I think about cutting horses. Just kidding. I always like reading post from fellow "out in the boonies" reefers. Good stuff
Old 06-16-2007, 02:48 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk View Post
Cutting horses, you're into cutting horses... Well let me tell you what I think about cutting horses. Just kidding. I always like reading post from fellow "out in the boonies" reefers. Good stuff
Oh the hook is baited ............... and............she bites Yes I am and in fact am heading off to Montana again in 3 weeks for a few shows and can hardly wait!