Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-20-2006, 07:45 PM

Farrmanchu is on a distinguished road

http://prairiereefsupplies.ca/index.php?id=57
This is where I got mine, he's close to my house. Have seen them at Petland though.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:52 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I did that Pico for my Brother, who has NO EXPERIENCE with Aquariums. It's been running for 4 months with no problems. It houses a bunch of Frags, 3 Hermits, 3 Snails, and even a small Damsel. Wasn't sure about the Fish, but it's very happy and healthy in there. It dug out almost all the sand behind the rocks for a territory, but pops out and swims around when someone is in front of the tank. The HOB Mini is about 20-30 GPH, the Tank is 1 Gallon, so there's 20-30X turnover.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 PM

pandafishowner is on a distinguished road

another question. how did you cycle the pico tanks? do you just put in the salt water, add some live rock and corals and there you go? did you use tank water from established tanks?

i think my hex tank is the 2 gallon version. i can't remember. but anyway i'll definitely use it

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Current occupants are cardinal tetras and ameca splendons
Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

The cycle will go much faster if you can use rock sand and water from an already established tank. For my nano I used cycled rock but new sand and water. I didn't see a cycle at all but it took about 2 weeks to see any activity in the sand.

Just a suggestion for evaporation topup. I use a kent aquadoser and it works great. I just fill the reservoir about once every 7-9 days (depending on how much we use the woodstove).

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:29 PM

ok good that you used new sand, cuz we have bare bottom tanks. lol. we have lots of live rock. i'll take a smallish chunk of it later

50g cube SW tank (24x24x20) w/20g sump and internal overflow box, Coralife 24" 2 x 65W Aqualight, skimmer, and 2x HOB filters
It has approx 35lbs live rock, clownfish, 1 black & white saddleback clownfish, asst'd mushrooms, asst'd zoas, gsp, turbo and other snails, blue legged, halloween and other hermit crabs, tuxedo urchin

10g FW tank with...
Old 11-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

yeah i have a barebottom tank as well so I ddin't have a choice but to use new sand

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:21 PM

what kind of sand by the way, i'm doubting hermit crab sand would be good? or would tank gravel work the same? i don't think bare bottom pico tanks are good, are they? just curious cuz i'm heading out to grab a light for it if i can find one tonight i got the tank filled with water and have a filter going already with about a 2lb chunk of rock in it from hubby's tank. just needing the light, substrate and frags soon

10g FW tank with...
Old 11-21-2006, 06:01 AM

You could do bare bottom. A Pico relies on waterchanges anyways, a sandbed doesn't do much when it's only a cup or two. My Brother's Pico is due for a cleaning, and I'll probably remove the sand. When I started it, it was a direct transplant of rock, sand, and water from my 55 Gallon reef, so there's no cycle to speak of. Algae removal is a problem, I cannot fit a Mag Float in there, so I'm gonna buy an identical tank, and every few months, switch everything over to a clean tank. Then I can soak the dirty one, get it clean and ready for the next time. It'll take about half an hour, the Corals will be grumpy for a day or two, but it's easier than trying to get a credit card in there to scrape Coraline.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:56 PM

well, the frags we have are on those disc things, so i just pressed them into some tank gravel i had leftover from freshwater stuff. looking pretty good today. just need my gsp's to open i have a blue xenia, a pom pom xenia, 2 gsp's and 2 pom pom crabs with about 2 lbs of rock.

10g FW tank with...
Old 11-21-2006, 10:22 PM

Sounds COOL, GSP is fussy, in time it'll come around......then take over! I LOVE Pom Pom Crabs, wish I could find ones under $25.