Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerLunchbox
I get about a 0.01 - 0.015 swing with SG it seems. .....
! Are you sure? That's quite a big swing.

Cheers,
Old 07-05-2006, 06:49 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply`

Quote:
2. The fans are the biggest contributor to evap.
How does that work? If the fans are cooling the water then there should be less evaporation, no?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 07-05-2006, 06:53 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't even know how to scientifically explain how this works, but I know fans contribute to evap. Even if I turn my bedroom fan on, I get double the evaporation. plus, I've ran fans across my water and I seen horrible evaporation so I had to stop using it.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:01 PM

SerLunchbox is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer
! Are you sure? That's quite a big swing.

Cheers,
Yeah ... that is generally what i have been reading from the refractometer ... though it doesn't seem right at all.

Given that 5 gallons shouldn't raise the SG that high.

I think i will have to recalibrate it
Old 07-05-2006, 07:16 PM

Midknight is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Midknight Send a message via Yahoo to Midknight

Ok, I think this is how this happens...
Water evaporates cooling the tank, but without air movement the moist air remains above the tank.
Air can hold only so much water so when it becomes saturated evaporation slows down but then the cooling also slows.
With a fan moving the saturated air away it allows for more water to evaporate keeping the tank cooler but also increasing the amount of water that is allowed into the air.
Make sense?

Dan
Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midknight
Ok, I think this is how this happens...
Water evaporates cooling the tank, but without air movement the moist air remains above the tank.
Air can hold only so much water so when it becomes saturated evaporation slows down but then the cooling also slows.
With a fan moving the saturated air away it allows for more water to evaporate keeping the tank cooler but also increasing the amount of water that is allowed into the air.
Make sense?

Dan
I agree. Makes sense to me. The key is the movement of the humid air out of the way, IMO.

Cheers,
Old 07-06-2006, 02:46 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I guess that makes sense Dan, thanks.

My tank evaporates a couple of gallons a day as well, about 8-9 gallons per week. So I adjusted the baffels in my sump so that I don't have to fill it up as often.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

I have 200g of volume and use 14 gallons a week of top off water rigged through a 7 gallon camping water jug, (nice volume & fits behind the tank), hooked to a Kalkreactor and on to a float valve in the sump... no salinity issues, and I control the evaporation rate by turning my fans up or down through a dimmer switch... I use a chiller as well but control over the evaporation rate for me is as much for Calcium maintenance as it is for cooling...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:54 AM

SerLunchbox is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox

Well after recalibrating my refractometer, i did the tests again in the morning and then at night (when the water was gone)

In the morning it was reading a perfect 1.025 ... in the evening it was at the most 1.0258 ... jsut under 1.026.

So i don't think that is a BAD swing .... i could be wrong and i am sure that i will be told if i am wrong

Thanks all
Old 07-07-2006, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerLunchbox
Well after recalibrating my refractometer, i did the tests again in the morning and then at night (when the water was gone)

In the morning it was reading a perfect 1.025 ... in the evening it was at the most 1.0258 ... jsut under 1.026.

So i don't think that is a BAD swing .... i could be wrong and i am sure that i will be told if i am wrong

Thanks all
No...I would say that is not a bad swing at all (0.0008). Like I said earlier, IME I got swings of 0.001-0.002 with 10% evap.
Maybe you meant to say in your previous post the other day that your swings were 0.001-0.0015 and not 0.01-0.015? Just a thought.

Cheers,