Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 PM

kari is on a distinguished road

If your planning on a chiller you better get out there soon and fertilize that money tree. Lately the best bang for the buck is $699 for the 1/4hp PC from our good buddies at J&L. Thats just my opinion and I haven't been shopping.
Check with Steve and Brad if they resolved their issues with that model before spending. Also, can I have a frag of that tree?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Hehe all the frags are mine

Yeah my tank is a 90 gallon. I was looking at the 1/4 HP one.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:44 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Christy, I meant to use the Air Conditioner in the room doesn't have to go in the window. I'd assume though that this would increase your evaporation rate or maybe not... with the air being dried from the AC... hmm

Doug
Old 06-10-2005, 04:02 AM

zulu_principle is on a distinguished road

Doug are you sure that would work

All you would be doing was recirculating the air and producing heat.....

Wendell
Old 06-10-2005, 04:03 AM

mid-island reef is on a distinguished road

Christy

I just bought a chiller for my 90 the other week. What I ended up with was a 1/6 horse Coralife. I was going to get the 1/4 but the local store only had a 1/6 in stock and suggested I try it to see if it would work. Even during our last heat wave when my house was 90 it stayed at an even 78. I might still upgrade to the 1/4 but the 1/6 had worked out well. I'm running it on a Hydor 325gph pump and that seems to do the trick.

just my 10 cents worth

cheers
90 gal Oceanic with one overflow. 30 gal sump,quiet one 6000 pump, 4 maxi-jet 1200 w/red sea wave maker, ebo 250w heater, 48\" HQI light. Prizm Pro skimmer and XP3 filter.3\" live sand, 120lb rock,countless snails, crabs and cleaner shrimp. Mostly softies but slowly converting over to SPS.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I saw that in the store. The price sticker was a bit shocking to me though

I thought I'd try one out from that canadianmarineaquariumsupply place. Hopefully it was included in the half price sale. I see in that other thread some stuff wasn't included, I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.

Christy

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 AM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Wendell, no idea if it would work or not. I figured if it's an air conditioner it will cool a room right??? I've never used an air conditioner so I haven't got a clue. A couple years ago when my basement was an oven I was giving some thought to an AC to try to cool the area down. It seemed a more affordable way to go but if you don't think it will work then I guess it's just another waste of money.

Doug
Old 06-10-2005, 12:03 PM

kari is on a distinguished road

Doug, its kind of the same thing with a chiller or a/c. A chiller removes heat from the water and transfers it to the air. Then the room gets stinking hot unless it is exhuasted elsewhere. An a/c will work the same with air being cooled. The heat energy has to go somewhere.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:48 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOrchidGuy
Christy, I meant to use the Air Conditioner in the room doesn't have to go in the window. I'd assume though that this would increase your evaporation rate or maybe not... with the air being dried from the AC... hmm

Doug
air conditioning is a limited fix, my tank will run at 12 degrees above ambient if I am running no fans or chiller. With the chiller I can run below ambient no problem, but with an air conditioner you have a few problems.
first problem is air has a heat capacity that is 1/4 of that of water, so cold air will take 4 times longer to cool something that the equivalent mass of water,

two, if your tank runs at 10 degrees above ambient now for a air conditioner to work you will have to keep the room temp at 10 degrees below what you want the tank to be.

three, a room air conditioner will not limit temp swings as good as a chiller.

and finally using a room AC to cool it will be a lot more expensive in power bills than a chiller as you have to cool down a room with pretty much constant chilling on hot days instead of targeting a more efficient cooling medium as a chiller does.

Oh and ducted room AC's start at 600.00ish also

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:22 PM

mid-island reef is on a distinguished road

Christy,
I got my 1/6 Corallife for $700 and the Hydor 325 pump for $45. Scott said if I wanted to upgrade to a 1/4 it would be another $150.00. But hey, if you can get one for 1/2 price Good on ya !
The only thing that worries me about 1/2 price sales like that is what if you get it and it is deffective ....... company is closing, would it still have warranty and such??

Cheers
90 gal Oceanic with one overflow. 30 gal sump,quiet one 6000 pump, 4 maxi-jet 1200 w/red sea wave maker, ebo 250w heater, 48\" HQI light. Prizm Pro skimmer and XP3 filter.3\" live sand, 120lb rock,countless snails, crabs and cleaner shrimp. Mostly softies but slowly converting over to SPS.