Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
This is something the staff will discuss, but it was removed from the Active Posts section a couple of years ago for reasons I can't remember. For now, you can just use the New Posts tab at the top of the page. All posts show up there and it's the one I use for refreshing.

Thank you for constructive input!

I actually looked at that this morning, and based on the number of buy/sell posts, I felt it would far outweigh the reef related posts. I think, for a board primarily aimed at the hobby and board as an information resource, it would detract from the theme of what we want to do.

That said, I always navigate from the New Posts link in the top menu as Warren described, and they are all displayed in that list.

We can discuss, but my vote would be to leave it as it. We did remove the vendor announcements highlights to facilitate the presentation of reef info, so replacing with reef sales and toys might defeat what we're trying to do
Old 11-29-2015, 11:24 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
This is something the staff will discuss, but it was removed from the Active Posts section a couple of years ago for reasons I can't remember. For now, you can just use the New Posts tab at the top of the page. All posts show up there and it's the one I use for refreshing.

Thank you for constructive input!
It was moved because some people complained that they were tired of seeing a few people clutter up the front page with buy/sell posts.

Can't make everyone happy, haha.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
It was moved because some people complained that they were tired of seeing a few people clutter up the front page with buy/sell posts.

Can't make everyone happy, haha.
I recall it may have happened after one of our more "postier" members added everything from a tank shut down, one post per item. That would have made me crazy, although I can't recall the exact moment I lost it

But ya, you can't make everyone happy, and I think more come here for info over deals. I hope that's the case anyway -lol
Old 11-29-2015, 11:32 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subnet88 View Post
Could the Buy / sell be put back into the "Active posts" section on the homepage too then?

As the forum is powered by hobbyists, the buy/sell populating the front page drives visitors to that section, as well as those who are just looking to buy / sell to other posts.
I think this suggestion has merit so the council will definitely confer on this to see if this is something that would make sense to (re)implement. We can't make any promises though. Here is a bit of background on this particular item for everyone's information. One of the main reasons why that the buy/sell was taken off of the active threads feed was because many people felt that it would often get to a point where the buy/sell activity would clutter the front page. While I agree that buy/sell posts are very useful to the members here, we have to consider one of our prime objects, and that is to foster an environment of knowledge sharing. That is after all what a forum is for, right ? When things got really busy in the buy/sell you could easily find the entire first page of active threads full of nothing but buy/sell, thus depressing the active discussion threads.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:41 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I vote leave as is.
I click on "new posts" as well and it serves me well,
I get classified, which I can skip if I want, and discussions
Old 11-30-2015, 01:01 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

After coming back to the hobby I just shook my head when I read the new rules, anpther friend and long time canteef member just laughed. I always wondered what brought on thpse strict rules regaurding buying and selling. Its sad the see the good ol days of RCC complaining about the classifieds hasnt gone away, just switched vendors. Guess nothing has changed in the way the vendors treat the hobbiest. Only your friend until you start selling coral you got from them, then it turns cut throat. Sad to see.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:11 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
After coming back to the hobby I just shook my head when I read the new rules
Well the funny thing is that those rules really only affected one member here. The rules were loose enough that people weren't actually affected aside from a couple people needing to keep a running thread of sales rather than making new posts all the time (which I thought was actually a nice side benefit). So essentially those rules didn't do anything except pacify a couple vendors and PO a bunch of members. PLUS, when we implemented the rules we already had plans to set up the Auctions (which weren't limited), but in hindsight we should have made the Auction forum at the same time. We figured you all would see through this and see the loopholes, but it didn't work that way. Oh well, you live, you learn.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Just a guy..

Another thing I thought about, not in time of course, is that almost every single higher volume seller is also a higher volume purchaser. What vendor complaints did was drive away their biggest customers from their advertising. Nobody stopped selling frags, they just sold them places where the vendors had no presence. Overall, about 5 kinds of silly on all sides.

Anyway, we're back to the old days, sell frags, trade frags, buy frags and get involved with your fellow hobbyists. Have fun. Remember "fun" ?

And let's face it, even with the highest volumes we see here, we're still jumping all over new stuff when the vendors post new stock. What I sell from my tank, I replace from March's tank.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:19 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
And let's face it, even with the highest volumes we see here, we're still jumping all over new stuff when the vendors post new stock. What I sell from my tank, I replace from March's tank.
Yep! I hear you there!

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:37 AM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

I vote leaving it as is. The "new posts" link is just as easy to navigate and serves its purpose well.

They call it addiction for a reason...