Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-24-2014, 03:55 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Flow doesn't really help it just helps spread the bacteria

I'm th gonna go out on a limb here and say your carbon dosing is prob a bit aggressive and is out competing your po4 , this can cause Cyano
First I was dosing vodka for about 4 months and then I switched to vinegar which has been 4 or 5 months. I'm only dosing 10 ml per day which isn't much at all for vinegar. I started carbon dosing and adding bacteria to see if I could out compete the cyano but it didn't help at all. I never really had a nitrate issue I just tried carbon dosing to run a unls system for sps and try to rid the cyano.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM

Denny would you pull the gfo offline?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman86 View Post
Denny would you pull the gfo offline?
if it were me right now i would cut back on the carbon dosing and pull the gfo temporarily.

i would look at adding carbon and then stopping vinegar all together for a while.

still cut back on feeding but let everything settle back to low range and not so close to ULNS, these are very hard to keep stable when looking at it from a nutrient point of view( tough balance to keep stable, one binds the other feeds)

once your back to low range you can then try again with the vinegar and gfo , although i would start with the vinegar and add the gfo later or only when po4 is creeping up on you.

half the problem is the carbon dsoing is pulling out anything readable on nitrates but isnt doing it for the phosphates, in an ULNS system 0.02 for po4 is a bit high when you cant see anything for nitrates, what are you using im assuming the hanna ULR? cyano being resilient pulls out food where ever it can get it, sometimes more often then not for only whats available....half the reason why its so hard to pin point a cause

how low is your bioload ?

you using bulk gfo or rowaphos?

at your point theres nothing dying so i would do all this slowly and bring it back to low range , your corals will darken a bit you may even get some more cyano or diatoms but colors can come back and diatoms will go away , same with the cyano.

of course.....its all hard to pin point but i have noticed this many times while using carbon dosing methods.

other options are to start adding natural po4 removers like cheato and mangroves etc. , maybe not now while so low but once you get up there again.

cheers buddy

denny
Old 04-24-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny@concept View Post
if it were me right now i would cut back on the carbon dosing and pull the gfo temporarily.

i would look at adding carbon and then stopping vinegar all together for a while.

still cut back on feeding but let everything settle back to low range and not so close to ULNS, these are very hard to keep stable when looking at it from a nutrient point of view( tough balance to keep stable, one binds the other feeds)

once your back to low range you can then try again with the vinegar and gfo , although i would start with the vinegar and add the gfo later or only when po4 is creeping up on you.

half the problem is the carbon dsoing is pulling out anything readable on nitrates but isnt doing it for the phosphates, in an ULNS system 0.02 for po4 is a bit high when you cant see anything for nitrates, what are you using im assuming the hanna ULR? cyano being resilient pulls out food where ever it can get it, sometimes more often then not for only whats available....half the reason why its so hard to pin point a cause

how low is your bioload ?

you using bulk gfo or rowaphos?

at your point theres nothing dying so i would do all this slowly and bring it back to low range , your corals will darken a bit you may even get some more cyano or diatoms but colors can come back and diatoms will go away , same with the cyano.

of course.....its all hard to pin point but i have noticed this many times while using carbon dosing methods.

other options are to start adding natural po4 removers like cheato and mangroves etc. , maybe not now while so low but once you get up there again.

cheers buddy

denny
Ok I'll give that a shot!
For checking phosphates I use an Elos kit
Bio load is light to medium
Rowaphos is what I've always used

Thanks a lot for your help
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok I'll give that a shot!
For checking phosphates I use an Elos kit
Bio load is light to medium
Rowaphos is what I've always used

Thanks a lot for your help

a little advice when trying to go with ULNS is too up your bioload the lower your getting, as well coral supplementation may or may not have to be met.

good luck buddy if you go slow back to low then slowly back to ULNS with a few extra steps youll find it will go away really quick and may not see again. its common for this to happen.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:34 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny@concept View Post

That's what I would do too.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:03 AM

Thanks for all the help. I just turned the vinegar and gfo offline. I'll report back with the results.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I just turned the vinegar and gfo offline. I'll report back with the results.
go easy on food for now so the po4 doesnt creep up to fast
Old 04-25-2014, 01:26 AM

Does the "redfield ratio" take account here? 16:1 nitrate to phosphate?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
Bear in mind that carbon dosing can use a lot more N than P, even by Redfield sorts of ratios, because of nitrate potentially being converted into N2 in low O2 areas like sand beds or in live rock. That process is driven by metabolism of organic matter in low O2 areas, so is potentially greatly enhanced by organic carbon dosing..

By that means, one can essentially eliminate nitrate will still having substantial P, and that, IMO, is why many folks find it desirable to use other methods at the same time, like GFO or growing macroalgae.

Alternatively, some folks find it desirable to dose nitrate under the scenario, along for more bacterial growth than the carbon dosing alone promotes, and that allows P to also be consumed.

if i were you i would post this to RC as RHF is posting alot these days and he would help you better in the answers