Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   can chloramine cause cyano? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106691)

iceman86 04-24-2014 12:41 AM

can chloramine cause cyano?

Ive been struggling with cyano for a very long time and cant ever beat it. Once in a while I have to use chemiclean to clean it up but it comes back soon after.

Im running a full blown sps tank with a couple softies and everything is colorful and thriving. Parameters are perfect for sps and lighting is led so its not old bulbs either.
Flow is more than enough also.
Rodi water with 0tds coming out.
Im even carbon dosing and adding bacteria and wont help either.
I have no algae in my tank at all except cyano.

Temp 78
Alk 7.5
Cal 430
Amm 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 2
Phos .02 (change media every couple weeks)

Ive covered all the basics and the only thing I can think about is either my salt (H2ocean) or chloramine which I recently learned Edmonton puts in the water and an rodi system wont remove.

Any ideas?

mark 04-24-2014 01:13 AM

chloramine is removed by a regular ro/di. If it wasn't, cyano would be the least of your problems. Your nitrates are at the upper end. Flow?

Myka 04-24-2014 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceman86 (Post 893648)
Ive covered all the basics and the only thing I can think about is either my salt (H2ocean) or chloramine which I recently learned Edmonton puts in the water and an rodi system wont remove.

Check out the RO/DI article I recently wrote in the "New to the Hobby" forum. It covers how RO/DI systems deal with chloramines.

After you read the article, this will make more sense; if there is ammonia making it through the DI resin that could cause cyano. Cyano does like ammonia. However, if there is ammonia making it into your reef you would probably be seeing bigger problems.

Cyano can be very persistent. The best method I've found is manual removal - week after week.

iceman86 04-24-2014 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark (Post 893651)
chloramine is removed by a regular ro/di. If it wasn't, cyano would be the least of your problems. Your nitrates are at the upper end. Flow?

Upper end? Many people run sps tanks Upto 10ppm for nitrates. For flow I'm running 2 wp40 and I got about a 1" wave going on the at the top and everything in the tanks is swaying around.

iceman86 04-24-2014 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 893665)
Check out the RO/DI article I recently wrote in the "New to the Hobby" forum. It covers how RO/DI systems deal with chloramines.

After you read the article, this will make more sense; if there is ammonia making it through the DI resin that could cause cyano. Cyano does like ammonia. However, if there is ammonia making it into your reef you would probably be seeing bigger problems.

Cyano can be very persistent. The best method I've found is manual removal - week after week.

Ok thanks for that article, just seems I've been battling this cyano for almost 2 years since I started this reef. I've tried the siphoning and that does remove it but a few days later it starts to come back to the same spots again.

Slyguy00 04-24-2014 06:14 AM

Have you been using H2Ocean the whole time? I just started using this salt and since day 1 of using it I have been having cyano issues.

iceman86 04-24-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slyguy00 (Post 893715)
Have you been using H2Ocean the whole time? I just started using this salt and since day 1 of using it I have been having cyano issues.

Yes I have. My pail is almost empty so I will be trying something else

iceman86 04-24-2014 11:22 AM

It's just that after every after every water change the cyano gets worse so I'm assuming it's something I'm putting in.

reefwars 04-24-2014 01:01 PM

What are you carbon dosing?

reefwars 04-24-2014 01:02 PM

Flow doesn't really help it just helps spread the bacteria

I'm th gonna go out on a limb here and say your carbon dosing is prob a bit aggressive and is out competing your po4 , this can cause Cyano