Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2014, 02:04 PM

EquiReef is on a distinguished road
Red face EquiReefs 50gal Reef

Hey guys, I am new to the forum so thought I would post some info about my tank. I am also new to the saltwater world but have had freshwater planted tanks my whole life and still run a 50gal fresh in my office.

I set my tank up in December 2013 and it is safe to say the obsession just keeps growing, much to my husbands displeasure.

Equipment run down:

50gal Fluval rimless tank
2x Marineland LED reef lights(2610 lumens each)
Saline hang on skimmer
Eheim Pro 3E (350) Canister filter
3x Koralia PHs ( 1500, 3200 & 4400)
Deep sand bed (argonite)
Hydor external inline heater
Eheim surface skimmer
45lbs live rock
15lbs dry rock

Coral:

two Toadstool leathers (Purchased as one large toadstool with a small one coming off the base. After a month the small one broke off and is now independent)

one Ritteri Anemone (sold to me by the LFS as a great starter nem. Should have done my research before hand)

one red Chile sponge

two Elegance corals

one plate coral

one Gonipora

One pearl bubble coral

three zoa frags, one with a purple mushroom attached to it

Livestock:

One Mandarin Dragonette (my pride and joy)- Bought him against my better judgement but he did not look well at the lfs so I figured at least I would put the effort into feeding him, where as the lfs clearly was not. I cultured pods for him (from Canada Corals, thanks guys!) for about two months (until my mother house sat while we were away and overfed them causing the culture to die off), he has doubled in size since we bought him.

Two OC Clowns who dont leave their nem. Ever. They were exhibiting spawning behavior until the nem decided to relocate to the other side of the tank

Two Electric Flame Scallops

12(??) blue leg hermits and red leg hermits

Various snails

Two Emerald crabs

One seahare (had two, the one elegance coral kill the second one )

I want to add more fish, but have held off as I want to make sure I get a fish that will NOT eat my mandys pods. I also want something colorful and that can live with other fish without issue.

I have always wanted a reef tank but never expected to be this obsessed with it.

Last edited by EquiReef; 04-29-2014 at 04:26 PM.