Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-12-2014, 06:16 PM

EquiReef is on a distinguished road

I sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
to be honest youll spend a whole lot of time trying to get it fed properly i would just pass it on, reason i say this is they dont fare well in new tanks as the mico life isnt there for it to get a feeding response and dry pollution is high.

you can feed it live food like rotifiers but unless your culturing on a large level youll run out of food pretty quick and it will become expensive to feed it daily.

i can tell from the pic that it is starving , the shriveled skin is a for sure sign of malnutrition .

these corals belong is a dedicated system with live foods, over sized filtration and steady water parameteres all of which a new tank finds hard to offer.

im not saying its impossible but its not easy to do on short notice and without planning you'll end up doing more harm then good to your young reef(small changes)

best advise in this situation is bring it back to where you bought it for credit and get something more designed to a mixed reef and for your care level.

info on this coral can be found on the NPS forumns on reef central if google isnt giving you much, i think you'll find after some reading it was a poor purchase and the seller should have told you of its requirements, its a common thing for larger box stores to do and the customer usually bites it as a newb loss when in fact they never stood a chance

if you do decide to keep it i can put you on the right path to getting it healthy, its not easy though just a FYI

beauty though!!

cheers

denny
Old 03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

sent you a plan to get this coral back on track , please post your findings and let me know if it works

any questions shoot

"nps corals use food to create energy , this created energy is used to find more food , when a coral becomes starved it has no reserve energy in storage to feed off so its a slow process when one is starved to start with."
Old 03-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Update on my tank:

Red chile got scrubbed a few times and fed cyclo, phytofeast and marine snow twice a day since. It's starting to put some polyps out.

Bought a few new corals off kijiji the other day- sun coral, hammer, frogspawn, torch, open brain, long tentacle plate and a few mushrooms. Feel free to give me any tips you might have or any incorrect IDs. The only one that hasn't fed is the open brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2014, 12:05 AM

pgtanks is on a distinguished road

i can't select individual picture but in your first post there are two pictures of anemones one on the sandbed and one on the glass. are these the same anemone?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:07 AM

I'm not sure which you're talking about, I only have the one anemone (ritteri) on the glass. I have a Goniopora on the sand bed(also pink) and a green elegance.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

looking good

so youll need to keep the chili clean , it needs to be clean in order to get a feeding response, once it feeds often enough its polyps will stay out all day and night

alot of your corals are photosynthetic so i wouldnt bother feeding them as pollution takes a couple of months to notice the declining effects and they dont need to be fed , most of the requirements are met thorugh photosynthesis and particulate in the water column.

your suncoral though is NPS like the chili , the suncoral needs meat and needs it daily(best reults)

glad to see the chili is coming back for you i told you it would work ive had to do the same i bet a thousand times lol

cheers

denny aka (reefwars)
Old 03-22-2014, 01:06 AM

Thanks again for the help. I also have it suspended upside down and I think that's helping. I just fed each polyp of the sun coral with tweezers. It seems pretty happy. I know I over feed the tank I'm terrified that something will starve though.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:44 PM

pgtanks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquiReef View Post
I'm not sure which you're talking about, I only have the one anemone (ritteri) on the glass. I have a Goniopora on the sand bed(also pink) and a green elegance.

I think I see now, your second picture in your first post is a green elegance coral. I have a nem that looks almost identical
Old 03-22-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtanks View Post
I think I see now, your second picture in your first post is a green elegance coral. I have a nem that looks almost identical

Wow really? I would love to get one that color. What is it called?